Wested Legacy series announced

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Like Michaelson, I'm personally not an artificial distresser myself. Partly it's a fear of damage and partly it's a desire to give the jacket my own "story" via wear. But to each his own.

But having seen and felt one of these Legacy jackets in person the other day, I definitely wouldn't distress it. It reminded me a lot of a lamb version of BK's Liberty hide. That stuff will take a natural patina very quickly.
Add me to that list as well! :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I'm on both lists but things to consider. A naturally aged jacket will not give you a specific screen look, if that's what you want, and also natural aging also happens to you too, and sadly none of us are going to live forever.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Hi, what is current average waiting time for Wested?

Is the back length measured with collar stand?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

tomek9210 wrote:Hi, what is current average waiting time for Wested?

I placed my order on 1/31, it dispatched 2/17 and delivered 2/22.

The measurement I took from the nape of my neck best aligns with the seam where the collar stand attaches to the back panel, so I would say measure without factoring in the collar stand.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yes it's without the collar stand.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

tomek9210 wrote:Hi, what is current average waiting time for Wested?

I ordered mine 2/15, shipped 2/24, received 2/26.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I ordered mine 3/10, shipped 3/17 and received 3/19
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Wow, they’re getting faster. Haha.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I haven’t order and it still has come yet :CR:

Just kiddin, those are some wicked fast lead times.
My S&J ToD is in the tailor hands right now, but if it comes back and I’m not happy with it, I might pull the trigger on a Legacy ToD

Croft :mrgreen:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Indiana Croft wrote:I haven’t order and it still has come yet :CR:

Just kiddin, those are some wicked fast lead times.
My S&J ToD is in the tailor hands right now, but if it comes back and I’m not happy with it, I might pull the trigger on a Legacy ToD

What was wrong with it? Just out of curiosity?
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Indiana_Nate wrote:I know I may be in the minority here, but I couldn't bear to give this jacket a shower. I love the look and feel of it just as it is.
I’m sure I’ll feel that way when I get it.

I’m in no rush to age it. I’ll likely enjoy the freshness of it as new for quite a while.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Hedji wrote:
Indiana_Nate wrote:I know I may be in the minority here, but I couldn't bear to give this jacket a shower. I love the look and feel of it just as it is.

I’m in no rush to age it. I’ll likely enjoy the freshness of it as new for quite a while.
Yes I totally feel the same way. I don't know how some people can take a brand new jacket and take sandpaper to it, stick it in the shower, etc.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

JC1972 wrote:
Hedji wrote:

Yes I totally feel the same way. I don't know how some people can take a brand new jacket and take sandpaper to it, stick it in the shower, etc.
While I agree, this is also my only Indy jacket at the moment so I like it clean. A lot of folks on here have multiple jackets and are probably buying these for a very specific purpose. Either matching a scene specific look or other gear that’s already distressed. To each his/her/their own.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Choose Poorly. My ToD is in having the action pleats fixed. Putting in a knit fabric which has elastic capabilities to help keep them closed.
Just a pet peeve of mine.

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Dispatched! That was quick! Not long now.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:Dispatched! That was quick! Not long now.
Awesome! Pics when it arrives, please. We all feel particularly close to your jacket, haha. Would love to know how it works out. :)
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Some outdoor/closeup shots of my distressed Legacy Jacket. DISCLAMER : No stitches were harmed in the process.
https://zupimages.net/up/21/13/xmsv.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/13/slkg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/13/lddi.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/13/bed1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/13/9aa1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i've removed the img tags, just click the links to see the full sized pictures.
Last edited by ltfoley on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Looks like you did a good job, but it’ll be easier to see once you re-size.
Whose site are you using.

I’m one of those guys who love a distressed jacket as by the time one with no distressing, I’ll be distressing 6ft under. :anxious:
Jackets these days are made to last.

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It looks nice, but still very dark though and these are outside shots. Still plenty of potential to lighten the jacket, just by using the natural undertones.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Yeah it's dark but in my mind the Raiders is very dark, so it'll do. Maybe not screen accurate but it's the Raiders i always wanted. My quest is over, i think. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

xmasters wrote:I'm on both lists but things to consider. A naturally aged jacket will not give you a specific screen look, if that's what you want, and also natural aging also happens to you too, and sadly none of us are going to live forever.
That's the difference between 'real life' use and 'cosplay'. ;)

I have some jackets I've had for over 20+ years that have definitely taken on a personality and appearance of their own that can ONLY be obtained from real world day to day use, and it really didn't take that long for them to obtain it.

It's dependent on the hide too, as stuff like horsehide and the top end heavy leather ages slowly. Lambskin and cowhide, on the other hand, distresses with general use in very short order.

Some of the most 'screen accurate' sleeve distressing I've ever had made on a jacket from regular use is my black G&B Flightsuits Expedition when I reached into a store freezer to pull out a frozen Thanksgiving turkey and the nylon netting rubbed along the seam! :lol:

Not quite as glamorous as being drug behind a tank, I guess.... :[

Anyway, back to the Legacy discussion, already in progress...... :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Michaelson wrote:
xmasters wrote:I'm on both lists but things to consider. A naturally aged jacket will not give you a specific screen look, if that's what you want, and also natural aging also happens to you too, and sadly none of us are going to live forever.
That's the difference between 'real life' use and 'cosplay'. ;)

I have some jackets I've had for over 20+ years that have definitely taken on a personality and appearance of their own that can ONLY be obtained from real world day to day use, and it really didn't take that long for them to obtain it.

It's dependent on the hide too, as stuff like horsehide and the top end heavy leather ages slowly. Lambskin and cowhide, on the other hand, distresses with general use in very short order.

Some of the most 'screen accurate' sleeve distressing I've ever had made on a jacket from regular use is my black G&B Flightsuits Expedition when I reached into a store freezer to pull out a frozen Thanksgiving turkey and the nylon netting rubbed along the seam! :lol:

Not quite as glamorous as being drug behind a tank, I guess.... :[

Anyway, back to the Legacy discussion, already in progress...... :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Cut to all of us volunteering at food banks around November and insisting that we be the turkey taker outers. :clap:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

I can just see it now..."Let me roll around in the frozen turkeys a bit before you take them.....' :CR:

Regards! M
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

I have had my Legacy Raiders for about 3 weeks now. I figured I would break it in (been wearing it constantly) before taking some good photos and giving my thoughts.

Ordering process was really quite painless for me, after reading the information in this forum on sizing advice and screen accuracy. I am 5'10" and about 170 lbs. Here are the choices I made:

The Legacy Raiders Hero Jacket (Custom Made) - Chest Size:40"
Sleeve Length: 24.5"
Back Length: 24.5"
Lining: Cotton Body + Satin Sleeves
Side Straps: 2 Pronged Black Buckles
Extra Inside Pocket: Yes

For this jacket I really wanted to get as close to screen accurate as possible (at least on the outside), as that is the whole point of this Legacy range. So rather than go with X-box stitching or more practical buckles, I went with what was suggested. To me the inside of the jacket doesn't matter too much for screen accuracy, so I went for the extra pocket and cotton body + satin sleeves (I know all satin is generally considered the most accurate).

Wested's communication throughout was great, and shipping was a breeze. The jacket impressed me as soon as I opened it. I was so happy to see they nailed the fit. The sleeves go right to the first knuckle on my thumbs, and the back is right around my back pockets. The leather looks and feels great! It is a nice chocolate brown, most of my pictures below came out much darker than it looks in person. It is lighter in color than my Magnoli jacket. The leather is a nice lightweight skin. This is my first lambskin jacket, and it definitely drapes well. It has all the quirks of the hero jacket that I love. The shoulder seam is much lower and the collar sits further back.

My complaints would be that the pocket flaps are a little more pointed, and less scalloped than I see on screen. But you really have to be looking for that. The other is that the jacket smelled terrible and took quite a few days to air out. The leather had a very chemically-processed smell to it. The pleats do have a tendency to blow out a little, but I'm glad I didn't get elastic in this jacket, just for accuracy's sake. The rest of my jackets I will happily add elastic to.

This photo shows the color the best out of all my photos. The rest came out with the jacket looking too dark. This shows the 2 pronged buckle, which I have not punctured the strap with yet.

I have added a photo album with 14 high resolution photos. I have included photos of the buckle, k-box stitching, fiocchi snaps, tag, etc in the link.
Click for photo album
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

THe fit is spot on. Wear it in good health.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Great fit. You nailed it.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Superb review and photos! You even have the Paramount mountain in the background!
Thanks for the informative share.
tubasthebest wrote:This shows the 2 pronged buckle, which I have not punctured the strap with yet.
Sorry, but I’m new to this. Are you supposed to puncture the straps with the prongs? Like a belt?

How does one determine how far to draw in the straps? I know I’ll be nervous to make a permanent hole in the straps.

Any more information on how to do this accurately and safely?
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

It has arrived! Opened it up yesterday. I really love it. First lambskin jacket for me. Just feels wonderful compared to my old licensed cowhide jacket. Sleeves feel a hair long, but I'm happy with them, because I can get them to shrink over time. It does have a strong smell, not entirely pleasant, so I haven't slept in it out of respect to my wife. :lol: I'm not an expert, but I think the length is right for me. In the pics, I'm wearing it with khaki jeans with a low cut. I think with my gear, it'll fall even better. I'm very, very pleased, and look forward to many years of adventure.

Once Again:
6'2" , 185 lbs
Chest 42"
Back: 26"
Sleeve: 26.5"

If anyone has any tips on how to adjust the side straps properly, I'd love to hear it. Do I really puncture the straps with the prongs like a belt?

Happy to take close up pics if anyone requests.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Wow, looks great! That's a great fit, wear it in good health. I think you nailed the measurements.
Fyi I'm also wondering about the straps and the pronged buckles.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

That’s does look like a perfect fit, if you get the sleeves wet (not soaked through) and scrunch them up your arms you’ll create some wrinkles and being lamb it won’t be permanent, the rankle stay but the leather will relax and they be at the right location. Yours are perty close now.

Now I’m not going to say I’m an expert, because I’m not.
I have a S&J truck chase and they have the two prong buckle. Their more for crating tension on the strap.
Mine are not punctured.

Go to my thread, down a little bit. 1st page down to the bottom you’ll see my jacket and one pic is the buckle and you cam kinda see the bump from the prong, but not punctured through.
Hope this helps
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yeah I think that looks great! The sleeves look good!

The side straps are your own preference, they look quite good out the bag loose as per your pictures.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

All, I appreciate the kind words about my jacket and review.

Hedji, I'm so glad you have your jacket and the fit looks good! I think the straps could be tightened a tad for a less baggy look, if that is what you want.
Hedji wrote: Sorry, but I’m new to this. Are you supposed to puncture the straps with the prongs? Like a belt?
I am certainly not the best expert on this, but have done some research. If I am wrong in any of this, I hope another member will chime in. I found some great information and photos from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69656

This is a screen cap from a deleted scene from Raiders on the blu-ray, zoomed, cropped and brightened (obtained from the thread linked above). Here you can see the buckle and the fold around the prongs, but I do not see the prongs have punctured the strap.

This is my jacket, and you can see I get an extremely similar look by not puncturing the strap.

Here is the internal view of the buckle, with the strap pulled out and the prongs showing.

And here is the outside of the buckle. From this image you can see the buckle is designed so that those prongs will puncture the strap and rest in these slots on the outside of the buckle.

This is a place where I think design and screen accuracy make the difference. I believe the buckle is designed to have the prongs puncture the strap. But I believe that this was never done on the screen used jackets and they just have the strap resting on the prongs, similar to how the legacy jacket is out of the bag shipped.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

They're buckles for trousers and were never "designed" to puncture leather, just textile waistbands. Peter likely used them because they were the right size and did the job and were roughly period accurate -- though D rings would have likely been what was used in a real jacket of the period. If you want to puncture the strap then that's up to you, but understand that the straps are not meant to cinch the jacket at the waist, they're meant to keep those action back "gussets" in check and not blowing open constantly. If they're pulled tight and you puncture that leather then you will have constant pressure there on those holes. Personally I'm not a prong guy and I've always avoided them, to the point that I've actually cut them off and ground the metal smooth on a set I have. I know they're screen accurate, but the original jackets were made very quickly and for a specific purpose, and durability wasn't one of them.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Fantastic information! Thanks for clarifying Illinois_Jones.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I haven't punctured the leather with mine, just slightly adjusted the straps so the pleats aren't as relaxed as they come out of the bag. In the movie you can see to what degree they were tightened by the way the leather is pulled by them. You rarely see the pleats unless he's reaching up for something or during fight sequences.

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments and Superb feedback!

Croft, I LOVE your advice. I may try a little water on the sleeves... when it gets warmer here in NY. :lol: But I'm a little nervous about it to be honest. I'll enjoy the freshness of it for now, and maybe this summer give it a light spritz and see where it goes. But heck yeah, I DO love the look of the sleeves bunching and wrinkling, which is precisely why I erred long on the sleeve length.

Tubasthebest, Illinois Jones, and xmasters.. Thank you so much for the strap suggestions! I'm just going to tighten them to close the pleats a bit and let the prongs do what nature has them do.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:Thank you everyone for the nice compliments and Superb feedback!

Croft, I LOVE your advice. I may try a little water on the sleeves... when it gets warmer here in NY. :lol: But I'm a little nervous about it to be honest. I'll enjoy the freshness of it for now, and maybe this summer give it a light spritz and see where it goes. But heck yeah, I DO love the look of the sleeves bunching and wrinkling, which is precisely why I erred long on the sleeve length.

Tubasthebest, Illinois Jones, and xmasters.. Thank you so much for the strap suggestions! I'm just going to tighten them to close the pleats a bit and let the prongs do what nature has them do.
Late to the party, but I agree the fit looks awesome on you, bud!

I think the sleeves are exactly where mine were when my jacket arrived, so waiting a bit for warmer weather is a good call in case you don’t even need the water treatment.

I never punctured my straps either. They don’t move with the prongs resting on the leather, so no need.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

One week of wearing, and I am already noticing the sleeves riding a bit higher on my knuckles.

I can also say the leather smells less chemical, and more leathery, if that makes any sense. It's a pleasant leather smell now, the smell you'd want it to have. I'd be lying if I didn't say I smile a bit when I walk into the foyer where it's hanging and the smell says hello to me.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:One week of wearing, and I am already noticing the sleeves riding a bit higher on my knuckles.

I can also say the leather smells less chemical, and more leathery, if that makes any sense. It's a pleasant leather smell now, the smell you'd want it to have. I'd be lying if I didn't say I smile a bit when I walk into the foyer where it's hanging and the smell says hello to me.
Oh yes, brother! I started draping mine over a chair next to my bed just to smell it when I went to sleep and woke up. Aromatherapy. Now it just smells like... a jacket.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I just placed the order for my Legacy Hero:

- size 40
- 26,5 inch sleeves
- 25,5 inch back

I'm 6 ft 3 inch (191 cm) tall. My current Hero from 2012 has 24,2 inch back (it was 24,5 inch originally) and it's a bit too short for me, it looks ok with higher waisted trousers, but I want a bit longer jacket now.

I will share some photos when I receive it :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

The package has been sent few days ago and I got the notification about VAT and duty payments. 105 USD of additional charge. Thank you UK for leaving the EU ](*,)
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

Now the price of a wested is like a kelso for EU buyers
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Yep, but the waiting time is much shorter for Wested.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

tomek9210 wrote:I just placed the order for my Legacy Hero:

- size 40
- 26,5 inch sleeves
- 25,5 inch back

I'm 6 ft 3 inch (191 cm) tall. My current Hero from 2012 has 24,2 inch back (it was 24,5 inch originally) and it's a bit too short for me, it looks ok with higher waisted trousers, but I want a bit longer jacket now.

I will share some photos when I receive it :TOH:
I can’t wait to see this one- I’m the same height and size...
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Hi, according to tracking, it should arrive on Wednesday, so give me few more days to take some photos.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I got the jacket today.

First impression after opening the box? What a gorgeous smell! Nothing can beat the smell of the nice leather garment.

Second impression? What a fabulous color :shock: My previous Hero was dark brown lambskin as I prefer darker brown for my Indy jacket. I was worried about ordering this one in authentic lambskin. But there was no reason to be worried. It's darker than the dark brown lamb! What a luck. It's like dark chocolate or dark cocoa powder.

Third impression? What a great fit. Wested nailed the measurements perfectly. I took the tape and they are spot on. The jacket fits perfectly. I can zip it up and I fell comfortable. My previous Hero is size 38 and I outgrew it a bit. This is size 40, so it's much better in the upper chest. The length is great too, much more comfortable.

Fourth impression? It's a bit heavier and slightly thicker than dark brown lamb and for me thy are the only disadvantages. But not a big deal. I will get used to it. I wore previous jacket since 2012, so it's like second skin for me :D

Good job Wested!

Pics will follow in the next few days.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That's a quick turnaround! Congrats! :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Yes, that was quick! I placed the order on 12.04, it was sent on 21.04 and I received it today, on 27.04.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Great impressions! I am looking forward to your pictures.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Yeah, that sounds excellent! I would love to see some pics too.

Quite honestly, I think mine is just a tad too long, but I'm getting comfortable with that, and finding screen pics that justify a longer length so I feel better. :lol:

I don't own any other Westeds, but I can see how this leather might be a bit thicker. I can't imagine the back lightly flapping up when I'm getting decked in the face repeatedly by a Flying Wing Mechanic.