Original Raiders Weight

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Original Raiders Weight

Post by The Aviator »

I was wondering, there are many raider replicas now, fantastic ones too, but do we know the actual weight of the felt from Raiders?

So we will all know the opening Raiders sequence, in the water it droops, looses all shape completely.

I’ll admit I’ve never tried this one of my hats, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Anything I’ve ever owned has been far too thick.

Gerry
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Original Raiders Weight

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'd say about 175 pounds.

Oh, felt weight, not Indy's weight. :oops:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I doubt we’ll ever have a concrete answer, but I’d assume it would be close to an ABL, or possibly the upcoming 40th anniversary HJ.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Just like the color, the only true way to know would be for the people who have the handful of actual hats to allow them to be tested for weight and dye composition. The only other way I can think of would be to find another Cury felt hat of roughly the same vintage and see.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Just like the color, the only true way to know would be for the people who have the handful of actual hats to allow them to be tested for weight and dye composition. The only other way I can think of would be to find another Cury felt hat of roughly the same vintage and see.
Agreed. The thought of dousing a vintage hat underwater makes my stomach turn though :-0