the gear so far..

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

the gear so far..

Post by neromakes »

hey everyone! :TOH:

my genuine MKVII bag just came in today. I got lucky and found a local seller on ebay, so it only took a couple days to get to me. I already removed the strap.

I have a long way to go when it comes to the gear, but I did find some pretty good boots on fb marketplace last Summer, and I did the belt up myself.

next week I'll be ordering an AdVintage Harrison fedora.. super excited!
Last edited by neromakes on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: the gear so far..

Post by IJJTM »

Very nice, the boots look really good for a fb find.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Looks good so far. The hunt for the different (and relatively affordable!) gear pieces is a big part of the fun...and very much in the spirit of Indy's hunting for historical artifacts, right?

As you already know, COW is a great place to find out useful info and get guidance based in members' experiences with the various Indy gear vendors and sources. I can't imagine I'd ever have been able to make smart (and relatively affordable!) choices without the gang on this forum, who are exceedingly generous with their knowledge.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

I have a secondhand Wested on the way, and I just placed my order with AdVintage.

Harrison Raiders with turn in Raiders Sable coming soon!! :D
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

neromakes wrote:I have a secondhand Wested on the way, and I just placed my order with AdVintage.

Good choices :TOH:
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

Howard Weinstein wrote:
neromakes wrote:I have a secondhand Wested on the way, and I just placed my order with AdVintage.

Good choices :TOH:
thanks! my hat shipped today. I'll be sure to make a thread for it once it arrives!
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

received my WPG order the other day containing a shirt, gun belt, holster & bag strap. had to take another gear pic!

I darkened the gun belt a little, and I had already started weathering the holster in the above photo. but I decided I wanted the holster a shade or two deeper.

followed that up with some lexol conditioner.. good stuff.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Dang, when I saw the holster at first I didn’t believe it was a WPG one (in a good way). Nice job weathering it.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

IJJTM wrote:Dang, when I saw the holster at first I didn’t believe it was a WPG one (in a good way). Nice job weathering it.
thank you! I'm pretty happy with it. :)
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Lookin goooood, now we need another with you wearing it.

And man are you hooked (in a good way). \:D/

Croft :mrgreen:
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

Indiana Croft wrote:Lookin goooood, now we need another with you wearing it.

it's been a dream of mine to put together an Indy costume since I was 7 or 8 years old! hooked is an understatement.

I'll post some worn photos once my AdVintage comes!
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

okay, experts. I got LL Bean pants off eBay to save a bit of coin, and although they were listed as "dark khaki" I don't know how to feel about them.

at first, I hated them. but now that I have them set up with the rest of the gear, I'm having second thoughts.

can I get your opinions? it'd be nice to get talked out of dropping another 120 bucks on a pair of WPG pants.

rookie mistake? yeah, maybe. I know in my mind they are too light. but, man. ](*,)
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: the gear so far.. UPDATE: help!

Post by Wotalark »

Sun bleached :D

Good looking outfit you're building up there.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Full marks for making the effort to gear up on a budget.

Those do look a little light, though 99% of the population won’t know.

Check out RIT dye. I’ve had good experiences with dying assorted shirts and trousers over the years.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

For my pants I ended up going to the local good will and I got a close-enough pair for about $5.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

An additional thought on the dye. Double check the trousers, if the fabric has a water repellent/stain guard treatment, the trousers may not take the dye consistently if at all. Also, if they aren't 100% cotton your results may vary.

It's been years since I've dyed anything and stain guard treatments were much more rare so I never had a problem.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

Indiana Jeff wrote:An additional thought on the dye. Double check the trousers, if the fabric has a water repellent/stain guard treatment, the trousers may not take the dye consistently if at all. Also, if they aren't 100% cotton your results may vary.

It's been years since I've dyed anything and stain guard treatments were much more rare so I never had a problem.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I was all in on dyeing them, as I've dyed quite a few things in the last couple years. but they definitely have a stain guard treatment. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get pants from WPG.

for those that have them- how do they typically fit? my waist measures at 38", while my favourite pair of pants (marked 32) measures in at 17" across the waist (so 34" total, pants are confusing)

I wear a size 32 most of the time, the LL Beans pictured above are a 34 (also 17" across) but they're a tad snug. so do I get a 36 or a 38 from WPG? is this style supposed to be my actual waist measurement?

also, do you guys prefer the 2015 or 2019 pants? I'm leaning towards the 2015 run.

thanks! :oops:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I don't remember how WPG sized their trousers. One of the reviews reads
2) The sizing measurements for the waist are precise. Measure your waist (at the navel) and don't try to cheat.
That says to me if you measure 34, order the size 34.

You can contact them and ask.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

placed an order for a pair of WPG trousers, and I have some J Crew Kenton Pacers on the way... sweet!
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

my WPG pants came in last Friday.. MUCH BETTER! :D

compared to the LL Bean pants... I feel like a fool for ever getting them.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Not at all, the gear journey is part of the adventure.

And at the end of the day the LLBean trousers are a solid pair of trousers for regular wear.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

neromakes wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:An additional thought on the dye. Double check the trousers, if the fabric has a water repellent/stain guard treatment, the trousers may not take the dye consistently if at all. Also, if they aren't 100% cotton your results may vary.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I was all in on dyeing them, as I've dyed quite a few things in the last couple years. but they definitely have a stain guard treatment. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get pants from WPG.

for those that have them- how do they typically fit? my waist measures at 38", while my favourite pair of pants (marked 32) measures in at 17" across the waist (so 34" total, pants are confusing)

I wear a size 32 most of the time, the LL Beans pictured above are a 34 (also 17" across) but they're a tad snug. so do I get a 36 or a 38 from WPG? is this style supposed to be my actual waist measurement?

also, do you guys prefer the 2015 or 2019 pants? I'm leaning towards the 2015 run.

thanks! :oops:
I'm about to order a pair of the WPG pants myself, and I was curious which size and which run did you end up going with?
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

Indiana_Nate wrote: I'm about to order a pair of the WPG pants myself, and I was curious which size and which run did you end up going with?
I went with the 2015 lightweight trousers. I did what was recommended and went with my actual waist measurement (38") and they fit perfectly, but not too snug either! super comfortable. so, measure your waist with a tailors tape. don't go by your pants size!

also, they are more accurate than the product image led me to believe.. the pair in the picture has 5 belt loops- but there are actually 7! that was a nice surprise.

EDIT: I just checked and they came with the accurate 3 inch hem, too!
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Awesome. Thank you so much for the info! Pulled the trigger on the pants yesterday, along with the gun belt and holster. On to the whip...
Velahrn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Velahrn »

neromakes wrote:

Could you post the picture of the hem (outside and inside) ?
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

neromakes wrote:

it's been a dream of mine to put together an Indy costume since I was 7 or 8 years old! hooked is an understatement.

Have you received your AdVintage fedora yet?
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

jgino wrote:
neromakes wrote:

unfortunately not. :(

it's a Harrison, so it shipped right away. anyone know how long it usually takes? it's been 25 days since it departed Germany, and it's gotta come all the way to Canada.
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by neromakes »

Velahrn wrote:
neromakes wrote:

Could you post the picture of the hem (outside and inside) ?
sorry, I missed this comment!

Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

My pants, gun belt and holster arrived a day or so ago, and, for the most part, I'm very pleased. The quality of all of the products seems fantastic. The leather goods all feel very substantial in weight and design, and I'd recommend them 100%

As for the pants, I'm not going to say that I'm disappointed, but there are a few things that I wish were different (based on screen accuracy and other comments/reviews). And just to clarify, I ordered the "lightweight" version from the 2015 run.

Pros:

- Love the fabric. Feels very durable but still remains comfortable. They have quite a substantial feel to them for being lightweight. Based on this, the not-lightweight must be very, very heavy fabric.
-The color is great, truly unlike anything else I've seen in the way of available modern day trousers. I think they really hit the mark.
-For sizing, I followed the specific measurement rule and it seemed to do the trick. They are a small bit big in the waist, but not so much that I would need to get them taken in. I'll wait until I start to lose some weight first!
-They DO have the 7 belt loops as neromakes mentioned.

Cons:

-Unlike the ones that neromakes received, these do not have a 3 inch hem. It's an inch, tops. Not a dealbreaker though, because the length is good.
-Back pocket flaps are not scalloped, but that is something that many others have mentioned. C'est la vie.
-NO PLEATS. No crease either, but I can iron a crease in there. This is probably the thing that bothers me the most. Photos that I've seen from all 3 versions of pants that WPG offers show that they are pleated. The ones that I received are not. I don't know if that's enough for me to exchange/return them, but it is something that I was expecting.

Just as a comparison, I ordered the pants in a size 44. The sizing is towards the top of WPG's range and maybe that had something to do with the lack of pleating. However, that's just a speculation. I would be happy post pics if anyone is interested.

Cheers!
Nate
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sounds like you may have received an pair of their officers pinks instead of Indy trousers.https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/13 ... ght-shade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd double check your shipping paperwork and tags inside the trousers. Definitely call. The pleats are a key characteristic of Indy trousers.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Sounds like you may have received an pair of their officers pinks instead of Indy trousers.https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/13 ... ght-shade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd double check your shipping paperwork and tags inside the trousers. Definitely call. The pleats are a key characteristic of Indy trousers.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thank you, Jeff for the advice! I feel the same, but seeing you say that really validates it for me. I’m going to double check and reach out to them.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

neromakes wrote:
jgino wrote:
neromakes wrote:

unfortunately not. :(

it's a Harrison, so it shipped right away. anyone know how long it usually takes? it's been 25 days since it departed Germany, and it's gotta come all the way to Canada.
Pre-Covid, my AdVintage hats would take about 2 weeks to reach me in Maryland USA. I bet you're running into the world-wide shipping slowdown.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Let’s just hope there not shipping through the canal.

That’s a mess.