New Bullwhips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

New Bullwhips

Post by IndianaJustin »

Paul Nolan 8 foot 1936 model
Paul Nolan 8 foot 1936 model
Joseph Strain 28th Anniversary Raiders
Joseph Strain 28th Anniversary Raiders
Couple of new whips I recently picked up. Man what fun! :whip:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: New Bullwhips

Post by bearbeast »

Is this for real? :shock:

If so... Man, that is awesome!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I am also waiting for Paul Nolan's 10ft 1936 bullwhip :CR: I can't wait to test it.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Nice score. Where did you pick up the Strain?
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Congrats on the whips - both awesome whipmakers! Having said that, I'm a bit taken aback by the heel knot on Paul's whip - I know he's going for an 80s Morgan style, but that just looks unattractive to me. Maybe it's an unflattering photo - his whips usually look (and are) great.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

IJJTM wrote:Nice score. Where did you pick up the Strain?
From Joseph Strain. I just asked him if he had time to make one and he graciously agreed. It is truly beautiful, I almost don't want to crack it. But I do use it and it is effortless!

As to the Nolan heel knot, that is the pic Paul supplied and it is unflattering, as was noted. It looks much better in person I think. It too is exquisite and cracks wonderfully. The plaiting is so tight that it is stiff for almost 2 feet out from the heel. I look forward to breaking it in.

I couldn't be happier with these 2 whips and can highly recommend both makes. Both makers were a pleasure to work with, very kind and willing to help.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Happy cracking! I've had a few of Joe's whips over the years and although I've not personally owned one of Paul's, I respect him greatly! I might also add that when I was first starting out making whips many years ago, Joe was very generous and helpful with advice ( as were David Morgan and others). Paul has also been a pleasure to deal with - buying hides over the years. Hmmm, feel like making a whip - I wonder if Paul has some good hides for me.. :lol: