Wested Legacy series announced

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by xmasters »

Just a note if you select 2 prong buckles by itself, the jacket is made with screen accurate K stitching on the straps.

I also ordered mine with all satin dark brown lining, just because I was bored of brown cotton.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

xmasters wrote:Just a note if you select 2 prong buckles by itself, the jacket is made with screen accurate K stitching on the straps.

I also ordered mine with all satin dark brown lining, just because I was bored of brown cotton.
Wish that was made clear somewhere on the site. Oh well!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

xmasters wrote:Just a note if you select 2 prong buckles by itself, the jacket is made with screen accurate K stitching on the straps.

Pretty sure the screen-used Raiders jacket that came to light recently showed a synthetic liner. I greatly prefer all cotton, but those wanting all the accurate details may want to look into this.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Chose Poorly wrote:
Hedji wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote: Are you going for 2-pronged buckles? All cotton liner? X-box stitching? Happy to answer any questions on those too.
Oh wow. I am very new at this.

Yes, please... can you explain these options and what you recommend? I like screen accuracy for sure, but I do plan to wear it frequently.

This is my first jacket purchase since ‘89 when I bought my licensed jacket, so I truly appreciate the help and suggestions.

After all, I do not wish to “choose poorly”. ;)
Not claiming to be an expert by any means, but those are the screen accurate options according to research done by a number of Indy gear fans. Wested is supposed to be using the Fiocchi branded hardware they used on the original jackets (while supplies last). That’s what I have on the jacket I received.

The 2-pronged buckles are sturdy and hold well. The prongs are very sharp and basically stick into the leather strap. They can be a little tricky to tighten without loosening first, but not in a way that is problematic. You’ll find the right waist tightness for you and leave them alone after that, so better that they stay put.

The x-box stitching is screen accurate for the most part, though the stitching in a lot of images from the films looks like a v-shaped stitch inside the box more than an x. Either way, it gives you additional reinforcement where your straps are attached to the jacket and your body movement regularly puts stress on the stitching. I’m surprised they don’t include it as standard and stop offering it as an add on. But if we’ll pay extra for it I guess...

Finally, regarding the liner, all cotton is technically screen accurate, so if you’re dead set on screen accuracy then go for all cotton. But it really comes down to personal preference on this one since nobody is looking in your sleeves. Satin sleeves exist to make it easier to slip your arms in the jacket, and that’s why Wested uses it as standard in most of their jackets. Cotton is more fibrous and can stick to shirts or skin when putting the jacket on. Personally, I went with all cotton because cotton is more breathable and I prefer the way it feels against my skin if I’m just wearing a t-shirt underneath the jacket. Satin can get a little warm if you find yourself wearing your jacket in warmer weather. So far, I haven’t had much of an issue with the liner sticking to my sleeves. It did the first few times I put the jacket on, but I’ve noticed it happening less and less over time from the leather crinkling conforming to my arms, and from just being conscious of it when I put the jacket on. It’s easy to prevent.

While I appreciate screen accuracy (or what we all think is accurate from a compilation of research), I can also say that I feel good about the choices I made with my order. The buckles hold well, the straps feel securely attached, and the liner is comfortable. I have been wearing the jacket almost every day, including indoors at times if the AC is cranked. I find myself throwing it on instead of a sweatshirt. So I don’t think you’ll regret your choices.

Cheers!
Chose Poorly, I agree 100% with what you said, right down to throwing the jacket on instead of a sweatshirt. The balance of weight to comfort with this leather continues to impress me. The K-stitch makes sense as being screen accurate considering the limited time window that Peter had to create the original jacket, but I prefer the look/added durability of the X-box. I was really tempted to get the additional inside pocket with the zip closure, but opted against it. I am still curious as to what it looks like on a finished jacket.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:

Pretty sure the screen-used Raiders jacket that came to light recently showed a synthetic liner. I greatly prefer all cotton, but those wanting all the accurate details may want to look into this.
Agree on the preference for all cotton, but I also live in SoCal (and South Texas atm) so I’ll take all the breathability I can get. That and I had satin sleeves on a Wested LC jacket I sold and the satin was starting to get little runs and loose threads in it from shirt sleeve hardware, wrist watches etc. So it was more a function-driven choice than a SA-driven choice for me.

That said, I am kicking myself a bit over the x-box stitching. Not worried about SA as much, but I certainly wouldn’t have shelled out the extra £5 if I knew the standard option came k-stitched. Just the idea of paying for something extra that was what I thought I wanted but actually wasn’t what I wanted because the standard option was. Hence the username “Chose Poorly”. Never fails me. Nor will my excessively stitched waist straps, I imagine! :whip:
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I'm 6'4", 230ish with a 45" chest and have a 46 Hero from like 8 years ago. It pulls kind of weird across the chest when zipped up. I thought maybe to go with a 48, but Wested's customer service said to go with a 46. I know I have to lose a few pounds I gained being home this past year due to Covid. Thoughts?
Btw first Wested jacket I'm buying since the Hero, and it feels weird not dealing with Peter or Gemma. Thanks for any input. :TOH:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

JC1972 wrote:I'm 6'4", 230ish with a 45" chest and have a 46 Hero from like 8 years ago. It pulls kind of weird across the chest when zipped up. I thought maybe to go with a 48, but Wested's customer service said to go with a 46. I know I have to lose a few pounds I gained being home this past year due to Covid. Thoughts?
Btw first Wested jacket I'm buying since the Hero, and it feels weird not dealing with Peter or Gemma. Thanks for any input. :TOH:
I measure at 41" and went with the 42" Legacy after finding the 40" LC Standard too snug armpit to armpit. The 42" Legacy feels right on me, but depending on where I stop zipping it makes a huge difference on how the chest feels. "Weird" is a good way to put it, but I think that's the cut of the jacket, not a sizing issue, hence Wested advising you to stick with a 46".

The hero cut is designed for the back of collar to hang and appear loose, so naturally that will pull the chest against your body when the jacket is zipped. The higher you zip it up, the less it does this since you're forcing the material to gather in the front, and the collar to pull closer to your neck in the back. But if you're doing the classic Indy half-zip look, that's where the material it's going to hit your chest most noticeably, especially if you slouch.

So short version of that answer, I think 46" sounds right unless "weird" means that the jacket feels too tight or constricting. The leather on the Legacy jackets is very supple and forgiving though.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

JC1972 wrote:I'm 6'4", 230ish with a 45" chest and have a 46 Hero from like 8 years ago. It pulls kind of weird across the chest when zipped up. I thought maybe to go with a 48, but Wested's customer service said to go with a 46. I know I have to lose a few pounds I gained being home this past year due to Covid. Thoughts?

I believe this is the same cut as the Hero. At least that was the impression I was under when ordering. I used my Hero that I ordered last year as a basis for the alterations in fit that I wanted in the Legacy, i.e. shorter in the sleeves and a little shorter in the body, and it fits perfectly. Both are 48". I'm 6'1" and about 245 (also from being home due to COVID) with a 46" chest. I debated going with a 46" but ultimately stayed with the 48". I have good shoulder movement and I'm able to zip it up with a minimum of pulling. Needless to say, everyone is different, but this route seemed to work for me.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Chose Poorly wrote:

Agree on the preference for all cotton, but I also live in SoCal (and South Texas atm) so I’ll take all the breathability I can get. That and I had satin sleeves on a Wested LC jacket I sold and the satin was starting to get little runs and loose threads in it from shirt sleeve hardware, wrist watches etc. So it was more a function-driven choice than a SA-driven choice for me.

That said, I am kicking myself a bit over the x-box stitching. Not worried about SA as much, but I certainly wouldn’t have shelled out the extra £5 if I knew the standard option came k-stitched. Just the idea of paying for something extra that was what I thought I wanted but actually wasn’t what I wanted because the standard option was. Hence the username “Chose Poorly”. Never fails me. Nor will my excessively stitched waist straps, I imagine! :whip:
Well is the K stitch only on the back strap with the buckle and the side strap is a regular box stitch? That's what BK does. Personally I always go with the X stitch on Westeds because I like the extra security at all four attachment points.

As far as the fit questions, I'd love it if someone with this new Legacy jacket and with an older Hero from say 4-5 years ago did a comparison. I'm positive they've amended the pattern in certain details like the strap length over the past maybe 2 years, but I could swear they've changed the pattern subtly in other ways as well to make it less "over the top" in terms of the Raiders fit. Like they've Relic Hunter-ized the pattern some, or gotten a look at S&J's truck jacket etc. From a newer Hero a friend has that I've seen in person and the many others here on the boards, it really looks like they refined the lines. And if Wested did normalize the pattern some, I'm glad they did -- I tried really hard years ago to get a Hero that fit and it just wouldn't work.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Illinois_Jones wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:

Well is the K stitch only on the back strap with the buckle and the side strap is a regular box stitch? That's what BK does. Personally I always go with the X stitch on Westeds because I like the extra security at all four attachment points.

As far as the fit questions, I'd love it if someone with this new Legacy jacket and with an older Hero from say 4-5 years ago did a comparison. I'm positive they've amended the pattern in certain details like the strap length over the past maybe 2 years, but I could swear they've changed the pattern subtly in other ways as well to make it less "over the top" in terms of the Raiders fit. Like they've Relic Hunter-ized the pattern some, or gotten a look at S&J's truck jacket etc. From a newer Hero a friend has that I've seen in person and the many others here on the boards, it really looks like they refined the lines. And if Wested did normalize the pattern some, I'm glad they did -- I tried really hard years ago to get a Hero that fit and it just wouldn't work.
It's an x-box stitch at all four attachment points on mine. So very secure.

And yes, that would be a very helpful comparison, especially for those wondering if they should order based on their original Hero measurements.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Indiana_Nate wrote:
I believe this is the same cut as the Hero. At least that was the impression I was under when ordering. I used my Hero that I ordered last year as a basis for the alterations in fit that I wanted in the Legacy, i.e. shorter in the sleeves and a little shorter in the body, and it fits perfectly. Both are 48". I'm 6'1" and about 245 (also from being home due to COVID) with a 46" chest. I debated going with a 46" but ultimately stayed with the 48". I have good shoulder movement and I'm able to zip it up with a minimum of pulling. Needless to say, everyone is different, but this route seemed to work for me.
Chose Poorly wrote: I measure at 41" and went with the 42" Legacy after finding the 40" LC Standard too snug armpit to armpit. The 42" Legacy feels right on me, but depending on where I stop zipping it makes a huge difference on how the chest feels. "Weird" is a good way to put it, but I think that's the cut of the jacket, not a sizing issue, hence Wested advising you to stick with a 46".

The hero cut is designed for the back of collar to hang and appear loose, so naturally that will pull the chest against your body when the jacket is zipped. The higher you zip it up, the less it does this since you're forcing the material to gather in the front, and the collar to pull closer to your neck in the back. But if you're doing the classic Indy half-zip look, that's where the material it's going to hit your chest most noticeably, especially if you slouch.

So short version of that answer, I think 46" sounds right unless "weird" means that the jacket feels too tight or constricting. The leather on the Legacy jackets is very supple and forgiving though.
Thanks Chose Poorly, and Indiana Nate. I'm going to go with a 46 chest. Just have to now decide on the back length, my Hero at 26.5" goes to the top of my back pocket. Just wondering about going to 26 inches.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

JC1972 wrote:
Indiana_Nate wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote: I measure at 41" and went with the 42" Legacy after finding the 40" LC Standard too snug armpit to armpit. The 42" Legacy feels right on me, but depending on where I stop zipping it makes a huge difference on how the chest feels. "Weird" is a good way to put it, but I think that's the cut of the jacket, not a sizing issue, hence Wested advising you to stick with a 46".

Thanks Chose Poorly, and Indiana Nate. I'm going to go with a 46 chest. Just have to now decide on the back length, my Hero at 26.5" goes to the top of my back pocket. Just wondering about going to 26 inches.
I'm 6'1" and my Legacy has a 25.5" back which lands just above my back pockets (in modern cut jeans). You've got 3" in height on me, but I have a pretty long torso which might explain the lack of difference in back length measurements. I think if you want the back of your jacket to land anywhere other than where your current hero jacket lands, you should consider measuring from the nape of your neck to where you want it to land. My jacket hit the measurements I sent Wested precisely with no consideration of the fit of another garment. :TOH:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Chose Poorly and Indiana Nate:

Thank you! Thank you so much for all of your help. You've answered so many of my lingering questions.

The big one for me was: how do I achieve that "crinkling" of the mid arm around the forearms and elbow? (I don't get that with my satin lined cowhide licensed jacket because it's cowhide and the satin slides when you move your arm, and doesn't "adhere" to your arm or shirt. But the cotton lining... that sounds like it does the trick! And although the cotton may not be screen accurate as the polyester or synthetic lining on found surviving jackets, I think it will be more likely to give me the outside screen accuracy I'm looking for.

(Yes this is a TOD picture, but look at those wrinkles in the arms!)

I've looked at the indygear.com main page at the jackets section, but I could use some education about the K vs the X box stitching. Anyone have a photo comparison?

So, the K stitching is screen accurate, but the X is more durable?

Also, why would anyone not choose 2 pronged buckles.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:Chose Poorly and Indiana Nate:

Thank you! Thank you so much for all of your help. You've answered so many of my lingering questions.

The big one for me was: how do I achieve that "crinkling" of the mid arm around the forearms and elbow? (I don't get that with my satin lined cowhide licensed jacket because it's cowhide and the satin slides when you move your arm, and doesn't "adhere" to your arm or shirt. But the cotton lining... that sounds like it does the trick! And although the cotton may not be screen accurate as the polyester or synthetic lining on found surviving jackets, I think it will be more likely to give me the outside screen accuracy I'm looking for.

(Yes this is a TOD picture, but look at those wrinkles in the arms!)

I've looked at the indygear.com main page at the jackets section, but I could use some education about the K vs the X box stitching. Anyone have a photo comparison?

So, the K stitching is screen accurate, but the X is more durable?

Also, why would anyone not choose 2 pronged buckles.
Oh you’ll have wrinkles for days. My arms crinkled up beautifully with a little wear. If I bend my elbow even slightly they’re pretty much wrinkled all the way up to the shoulder. I’m sure, as you said, some of that has to do with the friction of the cotton liner since it keep the sleeves in on place, but it is also the leather. It’s light and supple, and has a beautiful grain pattern, so that’s just the way it drapes and creases. Some users also mentioned soaking the jacket in a warm shower, but I didn’t do that because it fits too perfectly and makes me nervous.

Regarding the stitching, that’s pretty much it. SA vs extra security. You can see the K-stitch and plain buckles in Wested’s pics of their beautifully distressed Legacy jacket on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/44784524531065 ... 12616/?d=n. X-box stitching is just a wider square with an X through it. Basically doubles the material and stitching at the attachment points.

The plain buckles are easier to adjust without having to remove the jacket and free the straps from the prongs. They’re a bit thicker gauged metal as well, with a black rectangle and a slider bar in the middle of the rectangle that the strap passes over. Otherwise, no difference really. I adjusted mine once or twice and now I’m happy where they are, so no complaints about the 2-pronged buckles.
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

Thinking about ordering one, but trying to figure out the sizing.

Just measured according to the FAQ on Wested's site. I came up with:

Chest: 43
Sleeve: 25
Back: 23 (seems short, but that was bottom of neck to top of back pockets)

I have one of the original Hero jackets rom 2011 and it measures:

Size 44,
sleeves: 24 1/4",
pits: 23"
Back length: 25 1/2"

Thoughts on correct sleeve and back length? I think I'll keep the 44" chest.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hobbstc wrote:Thinking about ordering one, but trying to figure out the sizing.

Size 44,

44 chest sounds right. How tall are you?

As some users mentioned, there have been some adjustments to the pattern since the original jackets, but it’s hard to pin down exactly what they were outside of the obvious ones like strap length, so the Legacy might fit differently than your 2011 Hero.

The discrepancy in sleeve length doesn’t sound crazy to me, and they’ll shorten a bit with wear. Did the 24-1/4 sleeves feel long enough to you on your Hero or did you want a little extra length anyway?

The back length does sound short at 23 compared to your Hero, but it depends on your height and where you want it to fall. At 6’1” I ordered a 25.5 back and probably would’ve been fine with a 25 if I was really adamant about it fitting exactly like Indy’s jacket. But I was more after something I could wear daily without broadcasting my shirt tails to the world. I was worried it was going to be too long when I ordered it but I’m very happy with it.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

After looking over a bunch of Legacy Raiders pics as well as screen grabs, watching the movie again on bluray, and going over the truck jacket info, there are still inaccuracies to the Legacy. The pocket flap shapes are still odd compared to the film jacket and the the S&J Truck jacket/Brandon's Raiders jacket. Its like they need to be rounded at the peak just a bit. The stitch on the back panel edge is bigger than it should be. You can see the difference in the bottom hem stitch and the side stitch in this pic. The back panel doesn't sit close enough either to the sleeves on each side.

These tweaks would REALLY set it in the accurate jacket bucket, and make it much accurate. And don't say if you want a jacket that offers these, go elsewhere. Wested said this is based on original patterns and is the most authentic Raiders jacket out there. If it is, tweak the patterns!

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Agree with this. Noticed the pocket flaps and back panel distance to the arm seams right away when mine arrived, but not the stitching itself on the back panel. Good eye there. Also very hard to replicate some of those aging patterns around the seams since they used some sort of heat seal tape that caused puckering in a lot of spots (S&J is great in that department). But you’re right that it’s not “the most accurate Raiders jacket out there”. I still love mine though, especially for the price! ;)
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Chose Poorly wrote:Agree with this. Noticed the pocket flaps and back panel distance to the arm seams right away when mine arrived, but not the stitching itself on the back panel. Good eye there. Also very hard to replicate some of those aging patterns around the seams since they used some sort of heat seal tape that caused puckering in a lot of spots (S&J is great in that department). But you’re right that it’s not “the most accurate Raiders jacket out there”. I still love mine though, especially for the price! ;)
Price point, 100% agree its great. Its just the little details that would improve it so much. The tape thing, I could take it or leave it personally, as I think that's a detail that can be left out in terms of construction overall, but would be a nice option.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I wasn't aware that the legacy jacket was claiming to be based specifically on the Truck jacket, otherwise a more obvious inconsistant detail is that the truck jacket doesn't have a Berman and Nathan's label. Nor does it have a hanger loop (the legacy do).

The legacy jacket pattern wested are using is 99% exactly the same Hero Raiders pattern they've been using for a few years, pocket flaps, back seams, stitching etc. They've always claimed their jacket is from their original patterns (for decades), but we all know the stories behind that. The reasons they've given for setting the legacy jacket apart is the new leather and hardware, and presumably finally listening feedback and finally shortening the straps.
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

Chose Poorly wrote:

Size 44,

As some users mentioned, there have been some adjustments to the pattern since the original jackets, but it’s hard to pin down exactly what they were outside of the obvious ones like strap length, so the Legacy might fit differently than your 2011 Hero.

The discrepancy in sleeve length doesn’t sound crazy to me, and they’ll shorten a bit with wear. Did the 24-1/4 sleeves feel long enough to you on your Hero or did you want a little extra length anyway?

The back length does sound short at 23 compared to your Hero, but it depends on your height and where you want it to fall. At 6’1” I ordered a 25.5 back and probably would’ve been fine with a 25 if I was really adamant about it fitting exactly like Indy’s jacket. But I was more after something I could wear daily without broadcasting my shirt tails to the world. I was worried it was going to be too long when I ordered it but I’m very happy with it.
Thanks, I’m 6’0 and 195lbs. I just sent pics to Wested of the measurements of my current jacket and fit pics as well so hopefully they’ll get me squared away. I love the goat but it’s just too warm compared to what I want. I wear an Eastman horse hide A2 on colder days and want a lighter weight.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

xmasters wrote:I wasn't aware that the legacy jacket was claiming to be based specifically on the Truck jacket, otherwise a more obvious inconsistant detail is that the truck jacket doesn't have a Berman and Nathan's label. Nor does it have a hanger loop (the legacy do).

The legacy jacket pattern wested are using is 99% exactly the same Hero Raiders pattern they've been using for a few years, pocket flaps, back seams, stitching etc. They've always claimed their jacket is from their original patterns (for decades), but we all know the stories behind that. The reasons they've given for setting the legacy jacket apart is the new leather and hardware, and presumably finally listening feedback and finally shortening the straps.
Fair points. I don’t think they are claiming the Legacy to be based on the truck jacket specifically, just claiming it to be the most accurate Raiders jacket. So a broad claim, as there were many jackets made for the film and few of them (aside from the truck jacket and Smithsonian info) are available to study. I mentioned the pocket flaps and back panel distancing not because of the truck jacket images, but because those feel like details that are easy to confirm just by rewatching the films. I don’t think the pocket flaps are wrong though, I just like the way the more prominently scalloped flaps look.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Chose Poorly wrote: I'm 6'1" and my Legacy has a 25.5" back which lands just above my back pockets (in modern cut jeans). You've got 3" in height on me, but I have a pretty long torso which might explain the lack of difference in back length measurements. I think if you want the back of your jacket to land anywhere other than where your current hero jacket lands, you should consider measuring from the nape of your neck to where you want it to land. My jacket hit the measurements I sent Wested precisely with no consideration of the fit of another garment. :TOH:
Thanks, I had my wife measure and I'm going with a 25.5" back. I wanted to get a jacket a little shorter and a little more like Indy wore it.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hobbstc wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:

Size 44,

Thanks, I’m 6’0 and 195lbs. I just sent pics to Wested of the measurements of my current jacket and fit pics as well so hopefully they’ll get me squared away. I love the goat but it’s just too warm compared to what I want. I wear an Eastman horse hide A2 on colder days and want a lighter weight.
I have a long torso. It's always been an issue for me with shirts, where I either have a short shirt that fits well elsewhere, or I have to go with something larger than I want for the length (unless they offer a "tall" option). At 6'1" with average proportions, you'd think I'd wear a 34" pant inseam, for example, but I'm more of a 32-33" inseam because a lot of the height is in my torso.

I feel like you might want a 24" back, but pinging Wested is always safest. I'm sure they'll get you squared away.

My Wested Standard LC was goat. I liked the feel of the skin and it was durable as heck, but I didn't love the look of it. It was a bit too shiny for me, and had an almost artificial look to it in certain light. Night and day difference in the Legacy lamb. I want to make my bed sheets out of it. =P~
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I should have clarified, yes I understand that the Legacy isn't based on the truck jacket. But that jacket is the only actual Raiders jacket that's been seen publicly, so I would think you would want to update accordingly, but that's just my opinion.

If you go back and look at screengrabs from the bluray and also watch it on bluray, you can really see that the jacket considered the "Hero" (used in the opening temple section, talking with Marian in Nepal, Well of the Souls, Plane fight) you can see how the same details on the truck jacket like pocket flaps and back panel stitching are there as well.

You can really see the back panel in this pic https://i.imgur.com/HGNPRA8.jpeg here; too big to link to. You can even see the K stitch on the strap.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I agree with you yeah. The pocket flap shape is something I always noticed.

Somebody asked about the K stitch on the legacy, it's a rectangle box on both ends with k in the middle of each box, so that may not be completely accurate if it's meant to be the rear side only. I'm not too bothered about that, nor if I had ordered the X stitch, apart spending the extra £5 of course.
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

So here's a few pics of me wearing my current jacket and what the tape says. Thinking about ordering this one in the same size unless you see something off?
Attachments
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 13829 times
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 13829 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 13829 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (19.96 KiB) Viewed 13829 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 13829 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 13829 times
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

Last pics. Wested wrote back that they are "not allowed to tell you what size to buy as they are custom made." Seems kinda odd.
Attachments
image8.jpeg
image8.jpeg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 13827 times
image7.jpeg
image7.jpeg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 13827 times
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I ordered mine with 24" sleeves and 24.5" backlength.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hobbstc wrote:Last pics. Wested wrote back that they are "not allowed to tell you what size to buy as they are custom made." Seems kinda odd.
Bummer on them not giving you some advice. There's a difference between telling you what to order and offering a professional opinion. I think they've been struggling a bit to respond to inquiries with the shop closed and the factory operating at a diminished capacity. I didn't get much help when I ordered other than a confirmation that nothing looked off to them, so I had to trust my measurements.

An extra 1/2" in the sleeves wouldn't hurt. You had measured at 25" following Wested's guide, so that's probably your correct sleeve length.

Back length on your old hero looks good when worn and that's landing at 25.5" on your measuring tape, but the 23" measurement you got recently still sounds a bit odd to me. Were you using a tailor's tape and contouring it to you back, or a stiff, retractable tape measure? You also have to keep in mind that it's going to come up your rear a bit when you cinch down the straps, so you want to contour the measurement to your body. :-k
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I think we often order these jackets slightly too short, they are much more comfortable to wear with modern trousers slightly longer ie about an inch more than you'd think.

I'd err slightly on the side of caution.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I agree. I took that view with this jacket and ordered a little longer than I usually would. In terms of fit I've finally got a raiders jacket I'm happy with.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

So xmasters ordered 24.5" at what height?

If I'm 6'1" and happy with a 25.5" back, maybe there's a formula? We know Hobbstc is 6'0". So if xmasters is also 6'0", maybe 24.5" is your ticket?

I hate math.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Chose Poorly wrote:So xmasters ordered 24.5" at what height?

If I'm 6'1" and happy with a 25.5" back, maybe there's a formula? We know Hobbstc is 6'0". So if xmasters is also 6'0", maybe 24.5" is your ticket?

I hate math.

I'm 5'11" but I think body shape makes a difference too, and if I'd ordered a ToD legacy I would have selected a 26" back length.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

xmasters wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:So xmasters ordered 24.5" at what height?

I hate math.

I'm 5'11" but I think body shape makes a difference too, and if I'd ordered a ToD legacy I would have selected a 26" back length.
Rats! My theory is a complete failure. Haha. ](*,)
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Chose Poorly wrote:
Hobbstc wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:

Size 44,

I have a long torso. It's always been an issue for me with shirts, where I either have a short shirt that fits well elsewhere, or I have to go with something larger than I want for the length (unless they offer a "tall" option). At 6'1" with average proportions, you'd think I'd wear a 34" pant inseam, for example, but I'm more of a 32-33" inseam because a lot of the height is in my torso.

I feel like you might want a 24" back, but pinging Wested is always safest. I'm sure they'll get you squared away.

My Wested Standard LC was goat. I liked the feel of the skin and it was durable as heck, but I didn't love the look of it. It was a bit too shiny for me, and had an almost artificial look to it in certain light. Night and day difference in the Legacy lamb. I want to make my bed sheets out of it. =P~
:lol: :lol: :lol: Legit laughed out loud at the bed sheets comment. Mostly because I agree with you.

I went with 25" back this time around from a 26.5" for my Hero from a year ago. I was nervous about it at first, but everyone's comments on length reassured me. After living in the jacket for the past week, I can say that it was definitely the right call.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Indiana_Nate wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
Hobbstc wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:

Size 44,

:lol: :lol: :lol: Legit laughed out loud at the bed sheets comment. Mostly because I agree with you.

I went with 25" back this time around from a 26.5" for my Hero from a year ago. I was nervous about it at first, but everyone's comments on length reassured me. After living in the jacket for the past week, I can say that it was definitely the right call.
Hahaha. Do you think Wested would need custom measurements if I tried to order lambskin bedsheets?

Dear Wested - How many jackets would it take to cover my mattress? Thanks. :)
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I have a question to whom ever has a Legacy ToD.

How deep are the action pleats.
My S&J ToD are very “not so” deep and seem to pucker outward some.
Leaving the back panel not laying flat.
It’s only a little annoying as only time I see is in a picture or mirror.

Croft :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indiana Croft on Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Chose Poorly wrote:
Hedji wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:It's such a fantastic jacket. I've been having trouble not sleeping in mine tbh.

If ordering, measure your body and trust your measurements. They hit the numbers I provided from my tailor's tape spot on, regardless of any oddities contributed by the unusual cut of the hero jacket.

I'm 6'1", 185lbs, and went with a 42 chest (I'm typically a 41 in a well-tailored suit and had a Wested LC Standard in a 40 once upon a time that I was in denial about but was def too small), 25.5" sleeves, 25.5" back.

The sleeves are perfect, falling just shy of my knuckles before they've crinkled from wear, and starting to rise to the sweet spot now that I won't take the #### jacket off.

The back length is where I wanted it, and more importantly, exactly where I measured from the nape of my neck. Some might say it's a little long to be screen accurate, but based on my body proportions it lands exactly where I hoped it would, about 1-1.5" below my belt and above my back pockets on a good-fitting pair of jeans.

WOW You sound exactly the same measurements as me. I'm about to finalize my measurements. Do you have any photos you could share, or any other advice you could give?
I will try to take some photos later today. The biggest thing for me was measuring my body, not another jacket or garment. As I mentioned, I had a LC Standard Sz40 in Goatskin and it fit ok, but was a bit snug armpit to armpit, and I always found myself wishing for another inch or so in the sleeves and body length. The 42 chest solved a lot of fit issues for me.

When you measure your body, measure where you want the sleeves and back to land on your body, and that’s where they should land. Wested will target the measurements you provide with the fit of the jacket you’re ordering in mind.

Are you going for 2-pronged buckles? All cotton liner? X-box stitching? Happy to answer any questions on those too.
Finally managed to grab a couple of mediocre photos. Will try to get someone to take better ones for me when my hat arrives and it’s not 80 degrees outside anymore.

https://imgur.com/a/eQ7xs31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably looks a tad long, but like I said, I have an unusually long torso.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Chose Poorly, looks good but how's the back length?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

JC1972 wrote:Chose Poorly, looks good but how's the back length?
About the same as the front. Comes up a bit with the straps cinched where I like em. Added some awkward OTS shots to the same link.

https://imgur.com/a/eQ7xs31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It looks fine, kind of how mine looks. I'm my experience you loose length with wear and it doesn't take long, partly why I ordered mine a bit longer to account for that. Out of the box it measures exactly what I ordered, 3 days later it's already a 1/4" shorter in length. If you haven't accounted for it before long your jacket looks like a midriff top. So even if you are aiming for screen accuracy add that half inch more than you need if you plan to wear the jacket a lot.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Looks great, Chose Poorly! Length looks fine to me, and seems to fit your frame proportionally. Thanks for posting the pics!
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Thanks! Now I just need my new hat to arrive. Sold my other one too quickly. Patience is not my thing.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

So I am 6'2", about 190lbs.

We measured several times.

Chest: 42"
Back: 26"
Sleeve 26"

Does anything look glaringly wrong here?

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:So I am 6'2", about 190lbs.

We measured several times.

Chest: 42"
Back: 26"
Sleeve 26"

Does anything look glaringly wrong here?

Sounds dead-on based on my measurements at an inch shorter than you and roughly the same weight. I think 0.5” instead of 1” up from my 25.5” back measurement is a good call. I could probably stand to lose 0.5” in length on mine, but it works for my unusual body proportions.

Only thought... Did you give yourself some wiggle room in the sleeves with the 26” or is that right to the first knuckle on your thumb? They will shorten a bit with wear, especially if you’re planning to distress with water at all.

Curious to see the extra inside pocket. Not sure anyone has gone for that yet. I think it’s a zip pocket.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

The 26" sleeve length is right to the first thumb knuckle. Think I should add an extra 0.5"?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:The 26" sleeve length is right to the first thumb knuckle. Think I should add an extra 0.5"?
My sleeves fall almost exactly 0.5" passed my first thumb knuckle, so just above the knuckles on my other four fingers. I deliberately ordered them 0.5" long assuming they would crinkle with wear, and that I wasn't going to hide the jacket away if there was a bit of rain in the forecast. They never feel too long to me, and I appreciate the extra coverage for when I have a long sleeved shirt on underneath since it's an outerwear jacket and not a blazer or suit jacket.

It's really personal preference. I don't think what you measured will be too short, and mine haven't shortened all that much, likely because of how soft this leather is.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I haven't placed the order yet, but I'm thinking I will go ahead and add the extra 0.5". I really want that crinkle all the way up the arm. Especially if I decide to do the water treatment.

Thanks for the advice!
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:I haven't placed the order yet, but I'm thinking I will go ahead and add the extra 0.5". I really want that crinkle all the way up the arm. Especially if I decide to do the water treatment.

Thanks for the advice!
Feels right! Don’t forget to post pics, mate!