AdVintage Color

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

AdVintage Color

Post by IndianaJustin »

Does anyone have an Advintage in sable? Not true sable, not Raiders sable. Just wondering if it falls between those other two in terms of lightness/darkness. Thanks
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: AdVintage Color

Post by marker2037 »

The color names they used were always confusing to me... Are the buyers supposed to just pick the one they think looks most "Indy"?
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

IndianaJustin wrote:Does anyone have an Advintage in sable? Not true sable, not Raiders sable. Just wondering if it falls between those other two in terms of lightness/darkness. Thanks
Are you asking about the AdVintage Harrison, or their custom-made top-of-the-line hats? I have Harrisons in both Sable and Raiders sable. Can't say if the Harrison colors are identical to the custom-made hats.

Have you checked the AdVintage website? They post short blogs featuring quality photos as they make hats for customers. If you scroll through those (assuming the photos are taken under the same lighting conditions), you may get a good color comparison of the custom Sable vs. Raiders Sable.

https://www.advintage.de/index.php/cate ... n/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

A custom one.

I have checked website, a little hard to tell color sometimes. I just wanted a second opinion. I have one in true sable and now like the sable also. Perhaps another is coming my way soon!
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

IndianaJustin wrote:A custom one.

I have checked website, a little hard to tell color sometimes. I just wanted a second opinion. I have one in true sable and now like the sable also. Perhaps another is coming my way soon!
Maybe ask Thomas if he can shoot a side-by-side photo as a way for you to compare...?
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Great idea. I just sent him an email.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Curious where you landed with this inquiry after contacting Advintage? Was about to order a Harrison in Sable, but I’m a bit torn on color as well. Also torn on Turn vs. Not. Indecisive much?
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Landed on sable, based on photos. Raiders sable seemed too light for what I was after. True sable, of which I already have one, seemed too dark. Still waiting to finalize but my order is in the queue.
Hope you find your answers. :TOH:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Chose Poorly wrote:Curious where you landed with this inquiry after contacting Advintage? Was about to order a Harrison in Sable, but I’m a bit torn on color as well. Also torn on Turn vs. Not. Indecisive much?
I have Harrisons in both Raiders Sable and Sable. To my eyes, Raiders Sable is a richer color, so I like it a little better. But depending on which stills, scenes, or screen shots you choose to compare, I think you can find close matches for both Raiders Sable and Sable.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Howard Weinstein wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:Curious where you landed with this inquiry after contacting Advintage? Was about to order a Harrison in Sable, but I’m a bit torn on color as well. Also torn on Turn vs. Not. Indecisive much?
I have Harrisons in both Raiders Sable and Sable. To my eyes, Raiders Sable is a richer color, so I like it a little better. But depending on which stills, scenes, or screen shots you choose to compare, I think you can find close matches for both Raiders Sable and Sable.
I was told by Thomas that Raiders sable has more yellow in it and that sable is s little darker, relative to Raiders sable, and more red. I think. Is that what your experience is?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IndianaJustin wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:
I was told by Thomas that Raiders sable has more yellow in it and that sable is s little darker, relative to Raiders sable, and more red. I think. Is that what your experience is?
Thanks, Gents! I went with the Harrison in Sable (57.5cm), but after talking to Thomas I'm a bit panicked on size. While all of my Akubra and American Hat Co hats are 58cm, they have always felt a tiny bit loose and slipped down in the back after a little sweating. Per Thomas' instruction, I measured my head with a tailor's tape and tested the measurement with a paper crown, and landed pretty much everywhere from 57.5cm to 58cm. I can't decide if the 57.5cm that Thomas is holding off on mailing out will be too snug, or if a 58cm (currently out of stock) will be too loose.

Did your Harrison fedoras fit pretty much true to size out of the box, or did you find them a tad loose as I've read some folks have? If the latter, I might be spot on with a 57.5cm. If the former, maybe I should just shell out the extra money for a Raider or Cairo in a 57.8cm or something like that.

Guidance appreciated!
Last edited by Chose Poorly on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Advintage tends to size slightly big, but it's no big deal. Just add a spacer behind the sweat until it snugs up with use, and a Harrison WILL snug up with some sweat and heat.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Advintage tends to size slightly big, but it's no big deal. Just add a spacer behind the sweat until it snugs up with use, and a Harrison WILL snug up with some sweat and heat.
Ah, so to clarify, are you suggesting waiting for a 58cm Harrison to be back in stock because it will shrink considerably with wear, or are you saying the 57.5cm Thomas has available to ship now will likely be loose fitting enough to feel fine for my 57.5-58cm head even with the potential for future shrinkage?

Thanks!
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well in my experience the 57.5 will fit like a 58 in most other hats, if not bigger. If you get the 57.5 it will likely shrink down half to a full size and you'll likely have to jack it regularly. If you get the 58 it will likely be big at first but tighten up. And even then you'd still probably have to put a jack on it at some point. It's your choice.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Well in my experience the 57.5 will fit like a 58 in most other hats, if not bigger. If you get the 57.5 it will likely shrink down half to a full size and you'll likely have to jack it regularly. If you get the 58 it will likely be big at first but tighten up. And even then you'd still probably have to put a jack on it at some point. It's your choice.
Appreciate the wisdom. I haven’t had to jack any of my 58 Akubras. Almost wish they’d shrink a tad more honestly. But maybe I should just **** it up and go for a custom beaver instead.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

In my experience Akubras will shrink slightly and then stop. Not sure if it's all the shellac that binds when the fibers condense or what, but Akubras will shrink less than other rabbit felts like what the Harrison uses. Personally I've sprayed my Harrisons with *a lot* of silicone waterproofer and they've held up really well, but yes, you can't beat a pure beaver fur hat at the end of the day.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Illinois_Jones wrote:In my experience Akubras will shrink slightly and then stop. Not sure if it's all the shellac that binds when the fibers condense or what, but Akubras will shrink less than other rabbit felts like what the Harrison uses. Personally I've sprayed my Harrisons with *a lot* of silicone waterproofer and they've held up really well, but yes, you can't beat a pure beaver fur hat at the end of the day.
Thanks again. Thomas advised me against ordering the 57.5cm, so I either have to wait for his new stock to arrive in 3-6 weeks, or order a custom and wait 4 months.

So I can be patient, or look for an Everyman or see what Steele & Jones’ lead time is...
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

So my faster options are a Penman Everyman ($300 shipped) or a S&J Explorador (Classic $250, Superior $330 shipped). I’m torn. Any advice appreciated!
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Uh....color?!
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

I think both of those options only come in one color. I was going for an Advintage in Sable but don’t have the 4mo to wait for a custom, and they are out of Harrisons in my size.

Unless you’re letting me know I went way off topic... in which case, sorry!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Chose Poorly wrote:So my faster options are a Penman Everyman ($300 shipped) or a S&J Explorador (Classic $250, Superior $330 shipped). I’m torn. Any advice appreciated!
I have an Everyman, it’s a nice hat, but it tapers after a while and I think mine has shrunk. I wouldn’t necessarily call S and J a faster option, but I have only heard good things about them. I would go with S and J if I was in your shoes. Their Superior models can be shaped and weathered perfectly to any scene, like they even have some thread poking from behind the ribbon on their Smithsonian fedoras. But this is not to say the Everyman is a bad hat.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Chose Poorly wrote:I think both of those options only come in one color. I was going for an Advintage in Sable but don’t have the 4mo to wait for a custom, and they are out of Harrisons in my size.

No worries. I don’t mind it straying...but I did want to know about the color. If I may, why did you choose sable? If you were going AdVintage that is.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IndianaJustin wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:I think both of those options only come in one color. I was going for an Advintage in Sable but don’t have the 4mo to wait for a custom, and they are out of Harrisons in my size.

No worries. I don’t mind it straying...but I did want to know about the color. If I may, why did you choose sable? If you were going AdVintage that is.
I was going off of pictures and reviews, and was feeling like Raiders Sable was too light for my taste, and True Sable (if I went custom) too dark. That’s said, I am open to any and all advice. My noobiness is not a secret.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Chose Poorly wrote:
IndianaJustin wrote:

I was going off of pictures and reviews, and was feeling like Raiders Sable was too light for my taste, and True Sable (if I went custom) too dark. That’s said, I am open to any and all advice. My noobiness is not a secret.
Also, I have to say, the experience communicating with S&J has been fantastic. Whereas, the experience communicating with whoever was answering Penman’s email inquiries has been, tired? Bordering on abrasive even...
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’m pretty sure it’s John answering his stuff. I just think that he’s gotten tired of the same questions being asked every day, which is understandable.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Does he also refer to himself as “Mr. Penman”, say “John isn’t going to be around for a while”, and get tired of being asked if he’s taking orders or has your size in stock on his factory hats? Not asking him to move a mountain for me... just asking if he’s offering any business at all.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

This is the first I've heard of someone else replying for him, I've never had the Mr. Penman or John response happen. I understand you aren't asking much of him, it probably just gets tiring after answering the same question 5 times a day, and that is no fault on your part. As of right now, I think he's focusing on finishing enough orders to get his wait time to less than a year. Also, from my understanding, the Harrison and Everyman are pretty much the same.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IJJTM wrote:This is the first I've heard of someone else replying for him, I've never had the Mr. Penman or John response happen. I understand you aren't asking much of him, it probably just gets tiring after answering the same question 5 times a day, and that is no fault on your part. As of right now, I think he's focusing on finishing enough orders to get his wait time to less than a year. Also, from my understanding, the Harrison and Everyman are pretty much the same.
For sure. At the end of the day, I inquired about the Everyman and they confirmed they have my size available to ship. So I got my answer.

John is a legend in his own right, and I have no intention of suggesting otherwise. I guess I just felt a little like I was being treated like it’s annoying to ask if they have Everyman fedoras available in my size. Whoever was answering, if you don’t want to sell any hats, that’s fine, just say you’re not selling hats. But it shouldn’t be annoying to ask what your inventory is. It’s not exactly common knowledge...
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Yeah, I get that. So, any further to making your choice?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IJJTM wrote:Yeah, I get that. So, any further to making your choice?
I think I’m going to go with a S&J Explorador 36 Superior. I’m waiting for some info back from Roberto, but it feels like the difference of $30 including shipping is worth the custom hat and stellar customer service.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Any idea what scene you want to replicate?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IJJTM wrote:Any idea what scene you want to replicate?
I was primarily looking for a “clean” Raiders fedora to go with my yet to be distressed Wested Legacy Raiders Jacket, though I’m tempted to go for the Hovito Tempe style to give it a little more character. I’m not targeting any specific scenes in Raiders as much as I’m just seeking a great hat I can wear the #### out of, kind of like the jacket I’ve basically been living in for a couple of weeks now.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Chose Poorly wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
IndianaJustin wrote:

Also, I have to say, the experience communicating with S&J has been fantastic. Whereas, the experience communicating with whoever was answering Penman’s email inquiries has been, tired? Bordering on abrasive even...

I must admit that my communication with John has always seemed a little...terse. I love my hat from him, fantastic work, I just remember at the time it was a big deal to convince my wife that a fedora was necessary and that after spending a lot of money I felt like I was bothering him. But again I know he's busy. I lived in Portland at the time so I went to get fitted and to pickup. Both times I kinda felt like an intruder. Probably just me but it would have been nice to have a warmer feeling about it. Not being critical, just an observation. Since then, partly because he's so busy, I've gotten fedoras from other vendors. I wish him well, again he does great work.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IndianaJustin wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
IndianaJustin wrote:

I must admit that my communication with John has always seemed a little...terse. I love my hat from him, fantastic work, I just remember at the time it was a big deal to convince my wife that a fedora was necessary and that after spending a lot of money I felt like I was bothering him. But again I know he's busy. I lived in Portland at the time so I went to get fitted and to pickup. Both times I kinda felt like an intruder. Probably just me but it would have been nice to have a warmer feeling about it. Not being critical, just an observation. Since then, partly because he's so busy, I've gotten fedoras from other vendors. I wish him well, again he does great work.
Interesting. Very cool that you had the chance to be fitted and pickup in person (unpleasantness aside). I’m sure John is a great guy when he’s not feeling weighed down by the repetitive nature of dealing with customer inquiries. Also, John is an artist. Sometimes artists can be moody, and if it was John himself I would be happy to be on the receiving end of a mood.

Also, I want to be clear. I’m a big fan of John and his work. I’m not trying to paint any sort of negative picture of the man, and if he starts taking custom orders again in the future I’ll jump right in line. I think I was more shocked that, if John has tasked somebody else with answering email inquiries on his behalf, they were packing some legit attitude. If I’m paying somebody (maybe he’s not?) to deal with my customers, they better be real warm and fuzzy.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Anyway, I decided to go with a Steele & Jones Explorador 36 Superior with the clean Raven Bar look. Roberto has been fantastic to deal with, is incredibly communicative, and has earned my business for life without even seeing the hat. I highly recommend Roberto and Diego to anyone shopping for hats, jackets, or accessories.

I’ll post some pics on a new thread when the hat arrives. Excited to see how it looks with my Wested Legacy Raiders jacket.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I look forward to seeing it!
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

I'm excited to see your photos when it arrives! I started my getting my gear together recently and have had the opportunity to deal with many Indy Gear vendors. All are great, but Steele & Jones really do have incredible communication and customer service. I'm really looking forward to getting my jacket from them next month. I have been so impressed by their professionalism, and would not hesitate to order a hat from them.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

If only I hadn’t sold my current hat so quickly. My head feels so naked and alone now...
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Just posted an update over in the Explorador gallery. Hat has been dispatched, but I posted some photos that Roberto took before packing it up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ULloz0L
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

I have a sable Advintage. It’s actually a bit darker than this photo shows but I think it’s spot on to the movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Here’s the picture more accurate to what it looks like in person

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks for the photo. Thomas has finished mine in sable and I can't wait to get it. It's been sitting in customs in Miami since April 25.... :-k :x
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Here is a Herbert Johnson sable on the left and a sable Advintage SoC. Color is almost 100% match

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Advintage again in sable. Best Indy hat especially for the cost by far in my opinion.