Fading

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Fading

Post by IndianaJustin »

Perhaps this is covered somewhere else. If so, I'm sorry.

Do current felt offerings fade readily? For example, current offerings by HJ and Advintage in say Raiders sable, will they get lighter, paler quickly. Or not? How long does it take? Im trying to judge if I should go darker and give it some 'Kentucky Windage' or go right for the more seemingly accurate color. I know it depends on the sun and such but I'm wondering... :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Fading

Post by Michaelson »

I’ve never owned one that after several years of use in the sun and weather that didn’t eventually fade. I wouldn’t be concerned. They all do it. Get the one you like and just enjoy it.

Reg! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I can’t remember whether it was Steve Delk or John Penman, but one of them told me the color of the felt they used was intentionally darker brown so it would fade to the right color. It’s subtle, but my older hats have a more mellowed tone to them.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks all, this is the stuff I was looking to hear. (Is that proper grammar?)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Works for me! :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson :M:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Here’s an recent picture of my Penman from 2008. It has definitely faded into an almost caramel color. This is my go to adventuring hat. My AB, by comparison, is still the same chocolate brown it was when I got it as I usually only wear it to conventions or on Halloween.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how these things fade.

Dave
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Is that rabbit or beaver felt?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That’s beaver. And one of the finest pounce jobs I’ve ever seen, too. John does a really fantastic job with these hats. Over time, this felt has pretty much become as floppy as any HJ or Christy’s I ever owned. Plus, look how nicely it has faded! LOL

Dave
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

DR Ulloa wrote:That’s beaver. And one of the finest pounce jobs I’ve ever seen, too. John does a really fantastic job with these hats. Over time, this felt has pretty much become as floppy as any HJ or Christy’s I ever owned. Plus, look how nicely it has faded! LOL

Dave
That's a fine hat.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thank you very much. It was one of the first ten that John made for COW members when he started up back in ‘08, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good to see you, Dave! :TOH:
Regards! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Likewise! I stop by very infrequently these days, but still like to reminisce every now and again. Hope all is well.

Dave