Is Penman Still In Business?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Is Penman hats still in business? He never posts on social media anymore, I tried emailing him and never received a response. I'm hoping he is OK.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Is Penman Still In Business?

Post by shade88 »

Last email I received was back in December:

I’m sorry to say due to covid shutting down suppliers and now that they are open again. Supplies are sluggish at best. Everyone is seeing a slow down. It will sadly add 2-3 months to the original Estimated time. I’m taking the rest of the month of December off as I have had 3 deaths due or covid. Thank you for your understanding.

Sent from my iPhone
John Penman
http://www.penmanhats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

shade88 wrote:Last email I received was back in December:

I’m sorry to say due to covid shutting down suppliers and now that they are open again. Supplies are sluggish at best. Everyone is seeing a slow down. It will sadly add 2-3 months to the original Estimated time. I’m taking the rest of the month of December off as I have had 3 deaths due or covid. Thank you for your understanding.

Sent from my iPhone
John Penman
Poor guy, I hope things are better for him now.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

To my knowledge he is still in business, it has been about a month since my last email with him. I have an order due in October, so I know he is booked out past then with current orders.

From my experience in contacting him there can be a delay of about 1-2 weeks before getting a response. If it has been longer than that, send him a follow up.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

I hope he's doing well.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

tubasthebest wrote:To my knowledge he is still in business, it has been about a month since my last email with him. I have an order due in October, so I know he is booked out past then with current orders.

From my experience in contacting him there can be a delay of about 1-2 weeks before getting a response. If it has been longer than that, send him a follow up.
When did you place your order for the October due date?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

He’s still in business, he’s just busy with orders. He took a couple weeks to process my order on Christmas, but ever since early January he has gotten back to me the day of me asking. On Instagram John said that he hasn’t been posting much because he saw it as poor taste to flaunt a luxury item while people were struggling financially. I got my order in early January and he said I am due to have it in November.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

My order was placed mid November 2020 for the October 2021 expected completion date.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

tubasthebest wrote:My order was placed mid November 2020 for the October 2021 expected completion date.
Oh wow almost a year wait. It's worth it, he makes a fine hat.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Update: I tried placing an order and John replied that he is not taking orders right now and to check back next quarter. So I have no idea what is going on with him.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Interesting news. I hope this is him secretly getting time to work on Indy 5 hats. But if it is due to any other reason, I hope he is well.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Hmm, interesting... Yeah, hopefully it’s an Indy 5 thing. That, a supply issue, maybe he just wants his wait list to shrink, or something else. Hopefully you’ll get your order in next quarter.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

IJJTM wrote:Hmm, interesting... Yeah, hopefully it’s an Indy 5 thing. That, a supply issue, maybe he just wants his wait list to shrink, or something else. Hopefully you’ll get your order in next quarter.
Just when I finally saved up enough he stops selling, my luck. LOL
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If I were to hazard a guess, he isn't currently taking orders to keep his demand down. He's seen it happen with too many other hatters that their order list gets so large and the wait times become so long that it ends up angering customers. After a few months, other finanical demands come up and customers start cancelling orders and asking for refunds. Apparently he's already up to a year in delivery estimates, so I'm sure he is looking to cut down the backlog until he gets caught up.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Indiana Jeff wrote:If I were to hazard a guess, he isn't currently taking orders to keep his demand down. He's seen it happen with too many other hatters that their order list gets so large and the wait times become so long that it ends up angering customers. After a few months, other finanical demands come up and customers start cancelling orders and asking for refunds. Apparently he's already up to a year in delivery estimates, so I'm sure he is looking to cut down the backlog until he gets caught up.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
What if I guarantee him I won’t cancel the order?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

You could try, but I think John just wants to get down to about a 9 month waitlist before opening up again. I think that more than a year of waiting weighs on consciousness.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

jgino, when you buy a hat/fedora make sure you know your hat size, I recommend you do so for a fact as this can be quite an expensive endeavor, your mistakes are not everyone else's. Also, when you get into this hobby, fandom, cosplay don't sandbag your constituents acknowledge where you got your things and show respect. When I talk to John I will pass on your interests, hope this helps. :TOH:
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

micsteam wrote:jgino, when you buy a hat/fedora make sure you know your hat size, I recommend you do so for a fact as this can be quite an expensive endeavor, your mistakes are not everyone else's. Also, when you get into this hobby, fandom, cosplay don't sandbag your constituents acknowledge where you got your things and show respect. When I talk to John I will pass on your interests, hope this helps. :TOH:
:tup:
Last edited by jgino on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

I placed an order with John in May of last year. At the time he said he was down to a 5 month wait list as most aren't buying "luxury" items due to the state of the world. October rolled around and he hit me up in November said that things were delayed. About a week or so ago he sent an email verifying my address and said my hat was ready. It's on it's way now and set to show up on Tuesday. That said guys, he doesn't truly respond when you hit him up. I've expressed that everyone is worried about him and that we all hope he is well. No idea what's truly up and quite frankly it's not my business at all. Just hope he is well. Just figured I'd let anyone waiting on a hat that he dang sure will deliver.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

What did you end up ordering from him?
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I placed an order for the Raiders ABL in February of last year and I’m still waiting. The last email that I received from John was in October stating that the supplier of felt for that hat has experienced a slow down and he wouldn’t have the new batch until the end of November 2020. I just sent John an email inquiring about his current well-being and also to see where everything stands now.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Hopefully it’ll come around soon.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Just heard back from, John. He’s still working through orders but things are taking much longer than usual due to limited supply access. So, for anyone out there with an outstanding order, rest assured that he is doing his absolute best to fulfill all orders as quickly as possible but as of now he is at the mercy of the suppliers.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Sounds like a supplier issue. Hopefully in the next few months he catches up and starts accepting new orders.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I am happy to report that I received my ABL Crystal Skull today from my initial order back in May of last year. It was originally due in November, but I received the same notification from John as others that there were some supply issues due to COVID and that my order was delayed. It's my first handmade Penman as well as my first beaver felt, and she's a beauty. Just wanted to pass this along to those still waiting. There is light at the end of the tunnel!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Nate, please post pictures if you’re able to and if possible could you do some of it next to your HJs?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Please post the photos in the ‘Penman post em up’ thread so we won’t have duplicate threads.

Thanks!

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

IJJTM wrote:Nate, please post pictures if you’re able to and if possible could you do some of it next to your HJs?
Took me a few days, but comparison pics are up on the “Penman Post em Up” thread.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

IJJTM wrote:What did you end up ordering from him?
I actually finally ordered a "Penman". Have a TON of Indy hats and wanted a Penman since I first saw that style on his website. Beautiful hat
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Very nice.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

I’ve just got my ETA of April for my Grey Charcoal Eno \:D/ I ordered last June.

Not an Indy hat but he is very much still in business!

Gerry
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Nice, share pictures in the post’em up page if you get the chance.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Not sure it would be strictly allowed in the Penman's post em up as it’s a non-Indy, but I’ll slip it in here under the guise that John is still very much plugging away at getting hats out!

Although, if Indy 5 ever comes about we may see a shorter 60s-ish brim :Dietrich: You never know.

Gerry
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That WILL be the end of the franchise!! :shock: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Sharing the latest info I have in the appropriate forum, which is that John is not taking any new orders at this time because he’s “going to be busy for a while”. :TOH: But they do still have some Everyman hats ready to ship upon payment. I only checked on my size, and can confirm that 58cm is available as of last week.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Chose Poorly wrote:Sharing the latest info I have in the appropriate forum, which is that John is not taking any new orders at this time because he’s “going to be busy for a while”. :TOH: But they do still have some Everyman hats ready to ship upon payment. I only checked on my size, and can confirm that 58cm is available as of last week.
Any idea when he will start taking new orders?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

jgino wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:Sharing the latest info I have in the appropriate forum, which is that John is not taking any new orders at this time because he’s “going to be busy for a while”. :TOH: But they do still have some Everyman hats ready to ship upon payment. I only checked on my size, and can confirm that 58cm is available as of last week.
They didn’t share anything more specific. I imagine it will be a while. He’s faced a lot of pandemic-driven delays from suppliers recently, paired with his usual lead time and anything else keeping him busy... like a stomach ache, waiting in line at the DMV for a license renewal, or the fifth installment of a major film franchise. No telling... :-k
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Chose Poorly wrote:
jgino wrote:
They didn’t share anything more specific. I imagine it will be a while. He’s faced a lot of pandemic-driven delays from suppliers recently, paired with his usual lead time and anything else keeping him busy... like a stomach ache, waiting in line at the DMV for a license renewal, or the fifth installment of a major film franchise. No telling... :-k
Oh wow, you think he's doing the next Indy film?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

jgino wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
jgino wrote:
Oh wow, you think he's doing the next Indy film?
No idea. I'm just speculating. Like I said, all I got from the person responding to emails on his behalf was "Mr. Penman will not be around for a while." :-s
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I would check back with him around May.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I doubt that Indy 5 would be at the hat-making stage, but John has a lot of well-known and well-connected clients. He could be involved in any number of projects as a result. Or perhaps he has a big personal crisis. Not uncommon these days. For his sake, I hope he's working on some top secret Hollywood stuff.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Same here, I hope he’s doing well.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

It’s still strange that he completely disappeared from all social media.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

On a July 27th post I think he explained himself quite well “ Penman hats may be my livelihood but I’m very aware they’re a luxury item. It seemed in poor taste to flaunt a luxury when many people were struggling.” On top of that I think social media can be draining at times, so staying away during these hard times may help John feel better.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Speaking from working in a manufacturing facility currently, Penman is correct. Even with stuff reopening, there are massive slowdowns on all types of things. Right now international is the worst just due to covid related issues and restrictions. I work in optics, so it could be different but trying to get product and raw materials lately can be quite the guessing game.

The worst part is, it is SO random.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

jgino wrote:It’s still strange that he completely disappeared from all social media.
Not really, especially not if he's not taking orders. I'm running a business by myself as well and if my days are busy, I'm hard pressed to post on Instagram.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

jlee562 wrote:
jgino wrote:It’s still strange that he completely disappeared from all social media.
Not really, especially not if he's not taking orders. I'm running a business by myself as well and if my days are busy, I'm hard pressed to post on Instagram.
Very true.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Well, not exactly sure what’s going on with Penman Hats. Today I just received an automatic refund for the ABL Raiders order that was placed in February 2020. Wasn’t even offered to put it towards a different hat. Really wish that I was able to order one of these a lot sooner as I thought that John did a fantastic job with this model. Above all else though, I hope that John is doing well and eventually recovers from whatever it is that is affecting him.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I hope this will give you all at least some peace and help to calm any speculation....

I had sent a follow up inquiry to John and here is the answer I received....

In my last inquiry, I had attempted to make contact with John and I was told that an assistant is answering his messages and that he is ill.

There are people who are concerned about John, if he is ill or if he is making hats for the new Indy 5 movie..?

Do you have an official statement or do you have anything that I can share with the guys who are concerned?

We hope he is well, but many think that he may be working on the new movie hats?

Can you tell me what is going on?

Answer:

I would love to say he is working on the movie but he isn’t. He is ill and that is all I’m aloud to say.

Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Thanks for the update Scott. I was hoping that he was secretly making the hats for Indy V and not in fact ill, but sadly this doesn’t seem to be the case. Regardless, I hope that he gets well soon. He has a whole community here to support him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk