Your first indy hat, a nostalgic look back....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Your first indy hat, a nostalgic look back....

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hi folks,
Sorry I'm late in contributing... but it worked out for the best.
Back at the start of June when this thread was started, I was still thinkin' I'd never see this hat again.
:roll:
When my wife and son were visiting my parents out west a couple of weeks ago my Mom was commenting on my Garrison Raider and mentioned how my first Indy Fedora was still in the garage, having been "unearthed" a few years ago...
Apparently it was now frequently being used by my young nephews when they're playing "Indy" or "Cowboys" (in fact, this may prove to be it's Last Crusade)...
Sure enough, 5 minutes later I had the old Wool Felt (possibly corduroy blend???) "Official" Indy Hat in my hands.
Ahhh... the memories!
:whip:
My son asked to have a few photos taken with it on... So, here's OUR contribution .

Cheers,
Mitch
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

No way, that's the exact same one I have. It was my first and I wore it all over until I realized "this is the weirdest looking hat in the world." I bought it at Sears for about $25 and still have it for reasons I know not of. Maybe just cause it makes me laugh. By the way who made it?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Your guess is as good as mine, inexpensive.
Gotta say, though... when you wrote "bought it at Sears for about $25" it really rang a bell for me... I think that may have been where (and for how much) I got mine as well.
Weird material though, huh?
:-k
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It looks like it is cotton, Fox. And I think at that time, Stetson had the Indy liscence.

Dave
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

..looks like another young adventurer in the making with the Indy Starter! ;) :D Great pics!
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

Weird material though, huh?
Yea, I think it said wool but it's like...tweed! I wonder how many tweeds had to die to make that hat?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

er... You do know what tweed is, right? waiting for Bink to post a funny picture

You know, a friend of mine bought that exact same hat from a thrift store a while back, but it didn't have a liner in it anymore.

Regards, Geert
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

What, you expect something, gwyddion?

Here's a tweed adventure hat for you. ;) It's a Tilley, too!

gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

binkmeisterRick wrote:What, you expect something, gwyddion?

Here's a tweed adventure hat for you. ;) It's a Tilley, too!

It could be me, but I would buy one of those when I'm older :-k

Bink, you have been so creative with the funny pictures lately that I could have imagined you being able to post a pic of a tweed in the flesh, before it died and was turned into a hat :P So just joking around ;)

Regards, Geert
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Mitch you and I have the same first hat!
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Great kid Mitch , looks just like you. I kind of like that old official hats. They came from the era when we all wore hats not thinking about SA or brim shape, we wore them and were happy with it.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

You're right, Russian Raider. It DID do the job back in the day and I don't recall worrying about the fact that it had an actual SEAM down the back of the crown or a brim with ridges in it like an LP vinyl record!
:lol:

Indiana Kev wrote:Mitch you and I have the same first hat!
:tup:
I guess it's kinda funny to look back on now... but we've managed to do better since, haven't we, guys?
;)
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

I've always been a bit of a fussy type and I first descovered Indygear.com about 2001, just as I was starting to really become interested in hats. I only joined COW recently because I never heard of it til I met Mark Seven this year. I so wish I'd read some of these threads before attempting my first bash!

On the recommendation of Indygear, in 2001 I opted for the Akubra Federation, seeing as I had already bought an Akubra on holiday in Australia. I went with a brand I felt (no pun intended) I could trust. Besides, during my online searches for the perfect Indy hat I did quickly realise that for an Indy fan the DP (IMO) was an insultingly exploitative, cheap, ridiculous, inaccurate, sucker-magnet that I would have never been able to bring myself to wear without giving it a serious facelift. Sorry to all those of you who bought one, no offense but I was already a hat nut and I ordered the Akubra.

My first bash wasn't bad but I soon saw flaw in every detail. I rebashed with water and then steam and the taper was starting to look terrible. I didn't realise back then that felt would shrink and I lost my temper with SA-obsession-frustration and ended up destroying it. I reordered the same hat and was more careful this time. I still own that hat and I have made a thread "old friend or old hat?" about the hole in the pinch, stained felt and replacement sweatband.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Snapbrim76 wrote: the DP (IMO) was an insultingly exploitative, cheap, ridiculous, inaccurate, sucker-magnet that I would have never been able to bring myself to wear without giving it a serious facelift.
....no beating around the bush here. Tell us what you really think! :P :lol:
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Sorry for being blunt :#: it reminded me of every toy i ever had that was innaccurate to the film it was from e.g. Star Wars storm trooper, I had to use a black marker pen to colour in the bit on his nose. Anyone else remember that one?

I was so annoyed when I first saw a DP. I couldn't - and still can't - understand how Lucas could have licensed that product as "official Indy gear". It has a teardrop crown!!! :x ...still, if you'd seen the state of my first Akubra Fed after I'd tried to bash it several times, it probably looked worse than the DP ;)
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Snapbrim76 wrote:Sorry for being blunt :#: it reminded me of every toy i ever had that was innaccurate to the film it was from e.g. Star Wars storm trooper, I had to use a black marker pen to colour in the bit on his nose. Anyone else remember that one?

I was so annoyed when I first saw a DP. I couldn't - and still can't - understand how Lucas could have licensed that product as "official Indy gear". It has a teardrop crown!!! :x ...still, if you'd seen the state of my first Akubra Fed after I'd tried to bash it several times, it probably looked worse than the DP ;)
I agree the DP looks nothing like the hats on screen, but not all DPs have teardrop bashes. The crushable wool monstrosity I got from my colleagues yesterday has a centerdent (got it as a joke for my birthday)

Yeah, it really looks bad compared to my Henry and my ABs :lol:

Regards, Geert
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Of course, if a DP was your first hat as a kid, or teenager, adult, etc., then it was valued and appreciated for what it was and what it represented, then. One of the reasons for this thread...to reflect where we were and how far we have progressed. There is a certain amount of nostalgia in it being the first, as immitation is one of the highest forms of flattery. ;)

Back to the task at hand. :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

BendingOak wrote:I can't remember what my first one was. :-k It might have been a stetson. I don't have a warm place for it. I was never happy with it from the start. That started my long search. Where have we heard that story before. :-k I have a warm spot for my first AB from Steve. It's the first hat I was happy with.
I can remember the name of mine when I entered in the hobby (from ancient J. C. Penny 'Mallory' to Stetson), and the fact I was trying on and wearing prototype/experimental AB's before AB was even created, but just change the name of this poster from 'BendingOak' to 'Michaelson' and you have my story as well. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Texan Scott wrote:Of course, if a DP was your first hat as a kid, or teenager, adult, etc., then it was valued and appreciated for what it was and what it represented, then. One of the reasons for this thread...to reflect where we were and how far we have progressed. There is a certain amount of nostalgia in it being the first, as immitation is one of the highest forms of flattery. ;)

Back to the task at hand. :tup:
I would like to note that the main reason for calling it a monstrosity was that it has as an additional feature an ugly dent in the side, caused by the knot of the bow pushing in the woolfelt. It doesn't show up in pictures somehow, but it is ugly. If someone is set on buying a DP for a first hat, I'd advise against the crushable wool one because of it.

My first Indy hat was a Henry, but I have owned something that I could have used as a close enough though: A fawn-ish Stetson woolfelt, now owned by my father. I will see if I can find a picture of it somewhere to share here. Back then I didn't see this as an Indy hat (knew the colour was off but couldn't find a brown one plus it had no ribbon) and would have loved to have one of the hats some of you have displayed here :TOH:

Regards, Geert
Blackthorn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Blackthorn »

This was taken in 1987. Now this little girl is in the final few months of getting her master's degree and my beard is white. And I have a FED IV instead of this, whatever it is.

tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Mods, if posting on a 12 year old thread is not allowed please let me know. I have really been enjoying reading some of these old posts, and found this a really fun topic for a thread. I thought I would add my own first Indy hat. I stole this from my oldest brother and adopted it as my own. I wore it constantly and tried to shape it as best as I could to LC.

Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

This is a great thread to necropost back to life!

Here's my first fedora circa 1990, I believe... a Borsalino Alessandria I picked up in downtown Tampa at the same hatshop often frequented by the late, great Harry Anderson, once of those who inspired me into wearing hats. I remember the hat was tagged at $90, but it was the window display model and the original black had faded to a chocolate brown, so I got it for half price. I still have it and wear it from time to time (the sweatband stretched as my head grew over the years, literally, not figuratively). :TOH:
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

That is a great first hat Indy! It is good to see you have had the passion for Indy gear for a long time! (By the way, I have been eyeing your products for a long time and just recently ordered a ton of gear from your site. Can't wait to get it all!)
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Mine was a good ol' wool felt fedora from Cabela's :D Somewhere there's some footage of me in it for a home movie we made in 2011 ... unfortunately :CR: I ended up getting two of them because the first one shrunk. They were this style, only a chocolate brown instead. Looks like Cabela's doesn't make them anymore unfortunately :(

Horrible "movies" aside, they were good hats. I think I still have them out in the storage area somewhere ... time to do some exploring for those artifacts, I suppose ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

tubasthebest wrote:Mods, if posting on a 12 year old thread is not allowed.........
If it continues the discussion, by all means!

Where folks get irritated is when someone doesn’t add any new content, or asks a question of someone who left the thread decades ago!

Carry on! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Well... what about you, Michaelson? Where's a photo of your first Indy hat? It's probably on a daguerreotype.

:CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Here ya go! :[

tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Michaelson wrote:If it continues the discussion, by all means!

Where folks get irritated is when someone doesn’t add any new content, or asks a question of someone who left the thread decades ago!

This is good to know. I have been going through a lot of old threads to learn as much as I can. I would have loved to be part of the conversation back in the day. I will reserve posting for when I can contribute to the actual topic of the thread. (P.S. I cannot express how incredible going through the information on this site is. I feel as though I have found my grail diary. I had no idea there were so many people fascinated with Indiana Jones gear. As I begin my quest to get the gear, I benefit from all the information here. The history, discoveries, and developments that have played out on this site have me in aw. :notworthy: A sincere thank you to all on this site, past and present. )
Michaelson wrote::rolling:

Here ya go! :[

:lol: :lol: Now there is a great first Indy hat!
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Dr. Jones, Jr. wrote: ... time to do some exploring for those artifacts, I suppose ;)
Dr. Jones, Jr. Please post pictures if you can find em! I also have some old homemade Indiana Jones movies from back in the day. I'm going to have to dig those up and see how they hold up, haha. :oops:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

tubasthebest wrote:
Michaelson wrote:If it continues the discussion, by all means!

This is good to know. I have been going through a lot of old threads to learn as much as I can. I would have loved to be part of the conversation back in the day. I will reserve posting for when I can contribute to the actual topic of the thread. (P.S. I cannot express how incredible going through the information on this site is. I feel as though I have found my grail diary. I had no idea there were so many people fascinated with Indiana Jones gear. As I begin my quest to get the gear, I benefit from all the information here. The history, discoveries, and developments that have played out on this site have me in aw. :notworthy: A sincere thank you to all on this site, past and present. )
You’re among friends here! ;)

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Here's my first real Indy hat, one of the floppy wool fedoras from Disneyland circa 2007/8. Before that, I had the foam hats from dollar stores.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I bought my first Indy hat back in 2003, an Akubra Federation 3, which I still have. Here are some pics:

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Great photos of those old hats.

Well, I didn't get an Indy hat back then, but when I found this website and was looking at starting my Indy collection, I was almost about to get a DP, but I'm sure glad I saw this place first!!!

I also went with an Akubra. Since then, I have added an AB, a Garrison, another Akubra and an AdVintage.

Man, this hobby really ***** you in, eh? But the cool thing is that I view these hats and jackets not as movie props, etc. I view them as real clothing that I can wear every day and be stylish as well!

Keep 'em coming!
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Charybdis wrote:Great photos of those old hats.

Well, I didn't get an Indy hat back then, but when I found this website and was looking at starting my Indy collection, I was almost about to get a DP, but I'm sure glad I saw this place first!!!

I also went with an Akubra. Since then, I have added an AB, a Garrison, another Akubra and an AdVintage.

Man, this hobby really ***** you in, eh? But the cool thing is that I view these hats and jackets not as movie props, etc. I view them as real clothing that I can wear every day and be stylish as well!

Keep 'em coming!
I agree. It's great how practical and stylish it is! Indygear that is.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Talk about bringing the dead back to life! I was just watching Army of Darkness last night and now I see this! What a blast from the past. And Mark, you have aged wonderfully, old friend!

Here’s a picture my sister recently unearthed of us from sometime in the early 90’s. I’m sporting the wool DP that was my ever constant companion in those days.

This hat went to my brother when I outgrew it (he’s 18 years younger than I am), and is not with my son who really put it through the ringer. It was finally retired when about a year ago, sadly. It may not be as SA as my Penman or AB, but boy did I love this hat.

Dave