Wested brown cow?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wested brown cow?

Post by Kokopelli »

Has anyone seen Wested's "brown cow hide" lately? The website pic isn't very helpful, plus they write that it 'changes based on batch'.

Hopefully in the near future I'm going to get an LC jacket, but in a cow hide. I want to try to duplicate my old Disney World jacket's leather, which I believed was vegetable tanned cow. That thing was a delicious chocolate hershey-bar brown that distressed naturally to what looked like what I saw on screen...

Magnoli's White Label leather actually looks pretty good, too.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Wested brown cow?

Post by Charybdis »

Stop it, you're making me hungry ;)
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Wested brown cow?

Post by Smithy »

Charybdis wrote:Stop it, you're making me hungry ;)
:lol:
Kokopelli wrote:Has anyone seen Wested's "brown cow hide" lately? The website pic isn't very helpful, plus they write that it 'changes based on batch'.

Hopefully in the near future I'm going to get an LC jacket, but in a cow hide. I want to try to duplicate my old Disney World jacket's leather, which I believed was vegetable tanned cow. That thing was a delicious chocolate hershey-bar brown that distressed naturally to what looked like what I saw on screen...

Magnoli's White Label leather actually looks pretty good, too.
Wested used to send out hide samples and I imagine they still do, so that's probably the best first step. Obviously there will be small changes between batches of the leather as Wested said (that's the same for absolutely every leather product from every maker) but you'll get a good, general idea of the hide, colour, thickness, hand and how it feels.

I'm a big fan of cowhide, it's tough, has nice grain and usually weathers and develops bags of character. I posted pics of my Wested cowhide, albeit the discontinued "soft seal brown cowhide" but if their current cowhide is similar in terms of weight and how it wears it should be very nice.