Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

No Bantu Wind here, but since y'all are posting photos of your BK Relic Hunters, here's mine several years later...

Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Sweet jacket, seems to have aged very nicely.
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

That looks great, Forest.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Really nice aging on that one. The leather looks gorgeous, and it appears to be 100% honest wear.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

Love it Forrest, looks terrific 8)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Thanks all! I've been wearing this most fall, winters, and spring when it isn't raining or too cold for the past six years. I treated it with some leather conditioner to darken it up a touch when I first got it. That's it. It was brand new when I got it from a member here who is exactly my size. Definitely my favorite article of clothing (with my Alden boots not far behind). As much as I might want a Steele and Jones truck jacket, I can't imagine replacing this Kelso.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:...I can't imagine replacing this Kelso.
And you'd be mad to! :D

Seriously beautiful and the fit looks absolutely bang on to boot.

I just remembered I promised to take some snaps of my Raiders jacket for you and post them Forrest. Sorry about that, it completely slipped my mind. I'll try and take a few over the weekend and start a thread here.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Caber wrote:Well it looks like its been Stuck in Greece since the 9th of this month

Cabe 8)
Glad to hear you were able to track it. :mrgreen:
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

I thought I would post a 4-year update on my Relic Hunter. This jacket has been used every season since Fall 2016, and really has aged well. There is no distressing or Pecards treatments, just wearing everyday. And the occasional run in with the very abrasive NYC subway walls. I think it's slowly showing more brown in the faded areas, and I didn't realize how much it's aged until I took these photos. Hope you enjoy the update.
IMG_9612.jpg
IMG_9615.JPG
IMG_9614.jpg
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Nice! Talk about honest wear and natural distressing! Looks like it has seen many an urban adventure. Cheers.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

sharkboy wrote:I thought I would post a 4-year update on my Relic Hunter. This jacket has been used every season since Fall 2016, and really has aged well. There is no distressing or Pecards treatments, just wearing everyday. And the occasional run in with the very abrasive NYC subway walls. I think it's slowly showing more brown in the faded areas, and I didn't realize how much it's aged until I took these photos. Hope you enjoy the update.
IMG_9612.jpg
IMG_9615.JPG
IMG_9614.jpg
That's beautiful Sharkboy, the wear and patina it's acquiring is just superb :clap:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:No Bantu Wind here, but since y'all are posting photos of your BK Relic Hunters, here's mine several years later...

https://u.cubeupload.com/ForrestWatson/IMG4187.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://u.cubeupload.com/ForrestWatson/IMG4250.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking great! Noticed you're wearing a hoodie, is there room to layer in the Relic Hunter or did you size up?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

xmasters wrote:Looking great! Noticed you're wearing a hoodie, is there room to layer in the Relic Hunter or did you size up?
No, this is my normal size. Manages to look and fit well with both a t-shirt, or a hoodie/sweater. It is loose enough to layer a bit, no problem, but not too loose by any means.

For reference, it is a size 38, with 21 inch pit-to-pit measurement.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Impressive. I'll stick with my normal sizing for a Relic Hunter then.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

And here's my striated lambskin after (I think) about 5 years. Haven't actually worn it that much ...

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Some great looking jackets here fellas! Incredible wear.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

I’ve been really impressed with my Relic Hunter ever since I got it back at the end of June. Even though it’s goatskin, it is wearing in quite well. It hasn’t seen too much use (thanks Texas), but I throw it on any opportunity I get. Pictures at the following link, I don’t know why I can’t embed them here... I blame my phone haha: https://imgur.com/a/VkoP7oc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Whoa, that goatskin is breaking in beautifully. Honestly, I haven't seen goatskin break in and crease this well before. Well done!
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Whoa, that goatskin is breaking in beautifully. Honestly, I haven't seen goatskin break in and crease this well before. Well done!
I agree, that has got to be the best indy jacket made out of goatskin I have seen.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

drewgarcia618 wrote:Finally got my BK in, and my god it’s gorgeous. I’m a bit heavier at the moment than I should be, so it’s a bit tight in the gut (thanks surgery), but I’m ecstatic. It’s light, but still feels strong and tough as all get out. Fall can’t come quick enough! (It’s a South America version in Goat)

In case the image add doesn’t work, here’s the link to the pics: https://imgur.com/a/M5wTNEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just went back to check out your previous post when you shared photos of your jacket when new. Wow, that has come a long way. This makes me want to pick up one of these goatskin jackets. Again, the way that leather is breaking-in is phenomenal.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Thee wrote:I agree, that has got to be the best indy jacket made out of goatskin I have seen.
Forrest For the Trees wrote:Just went back to check out your previous post when you shared photos of your jacket when new. Wow, that has come a long way. This makes me want to pick up one of these goatskin jackets. Again, the way that leather is breaking-in is phenomenal.
Thank y’all! It’s really been a fun jacket to own and wear, my only complaint would be that it’s not acceptable to wear it 24/7/365! I’d absolutely recommend it to anyone looking at BK jackets: lightweight, rainproof (in the limited bit that it’s seen), and practically wind proof. This goat feels more like lamb to the touch, almost like Wested’s washed lamb in my opinion. But it feels just as durable as the goatskin that US Wings uses. The perfect blend of both!
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

I am looking to pull the trigger on the RH in goatskin and would love some advice from current or past Kelso owners on the following:

-South America or Cairo and why

-Sizing advice

I have had an Expo that I loved, but it is now too big (I am 6'-2) since I was 260 lbs when I ordered it 15 years ago. It now looks like a tent on me. I am purchasing for actual wear/functionality. I ordered the US Wings L-T but it so long it looks like a car coat so I am fire selling it.

Currently, i am at 200 lb and fit. I typically wear "Athletic" in suit coats and am trying to avoid a fit in the shoulders and a tent in the body.

Any special advice is appreciated and I welcome DM's so as to not muddy up this thread.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

I'd consult with Andy at Bill Kelso Mfg for sizing concerns. I would say order your chest size (suit jacket size), but you might want a Tall. As to South America vs. Cairo, that's just personal taste. I'd go with South America, as it is based on the Nowak Raiders. BK exaggerates the pocket scalloping a bit, so maybe a hybrid with South America collar and Cairo pockets? I don't think their Cairo collar looks quite right, but that's just my opinion, man. :TOH:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

USW isn't the best barometer for length -- their current selection is too long no matter the size. A USW tall would look like a car coat unless you're an NBA center.

For BK you might actually want to go with the tall. At 6'2" a regular is almost certainly too short for you; BK's long is only like 1 inch longer than regular, and really torso length isn't too different for humans no matter their height.

But put the USW on and see how much shorter than that would be where you want it to be. Then communicate with BK. Just remember that the RH and any other reasonably accurate Raiders jacket will hang differently from any other jacket you've got. Just communicate with them and give them an idea of the length you want.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Cowboy,

The BK I have is a South America version. I am also 6’2” with an athletic build. I was afraid I’d have to order a custom sized one, but when I messaged Andy he told me that the 44L would work well, and I am glad I took his advice. The fit is perfect, and I absolutely love it! I actually wore it recently for family pictures with my younger sisters.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

drewgarcia618 wrote:Cowboy,

The BK I have is a South America version. I am also 6’2” with an athletic build. I was afraid I’d have to order a custom sized one, but when I messaged Andy he told me that the 44L would work well, and I am glad I took his advice. The fit is perfect, and I absolutely love it! I actually wore it recently for family pictures with my younger sisters.
Thank you Drew, Illinois and Forrest for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:No Bantu Wind here, but since y'all are posting photos of your BK Relic Hunters, here's mine several years later...

Wow - stunning jacket you have there! Which skin is this?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Striated Lambskin. It is awesome. I'm not sure how screen accurate it is, but it is the best lambskin leather I have ever handled. Just gets better the more you wear it. I would say avoid getting it wet, though.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Striated Lambskin. It is awesome. I'm not sure how screen accurate it is, but it is the best lambskin leather I have ever handled. Just gets better the more you wear it. I would say avoid getting it wet, though.
Have you gotten yours wet? What happens?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It reproduced.

Don't even ask what happened when he fed it after midnight!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Ha! The examples I've seen that have gotten soaked have crazy grain pop out. This leather soaks up water like a sponge and it seems to distort a bit as it dries.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Ha! The examples I've seen that have gotten soaked have crazy grain pop out. This leather soaks up water like a sponge and it seems to distort a bit as it dries.
I think you are right, check out this one after a wash.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Love a bit of striated lamb, it's just so different and "unmassproduced" looking. Gives you jackets so much character,
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

Thee wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:Ha! The examples I've seen that have gotten soaked have crazy grain pop out. This leather soaks up water like a sponge and it seems to distort a bit as it dries.
This went through the washing machine? I had contemplated going out in a light rain but I was under the impression that the color would alter. I love mine already so wasn't going to risk it. So this is not the case? I love some of the texture but it's a bit too much overall for my preference.

Most I've been in is a light sprinkle. Seriously thinking of ordering another as a backup. I'm the kind that buys multiple pairs of shoes if I like them in case they stop making them.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Light rain would be fine, but not for an extended period. If you are going to buy a backup, I would think their goatskin would be a great option to wear in wetter weather.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

This went through the washing machine? I had contemplated going out in a light rain but I was under the impression that the color would alter. I love mine already so wasn't going to risk it. So this is not the case? I love some of the texture but it's a bit too much overall for my preference
Most I've been in is a light sprinkle. Seriously thinking of ordering another as a backup. I'm the kind that buys multiple pairs of shoes if I like them in case they stop making them.
That isn't my jacket but pictures of someone else's which I got from the fortune and glory forum. All he said was "My SL BK after a wash" so I don't exactly know what the "wash" consisted of but I reckon it was more than just getting rained on. I have one in the striated lamb myself and I wouldn't hesitate to wear mine in some rain as long as it isn't pouring. But that's probably because I bought mine second hand. So IMO you don't need to buy another but if you did I would go for a wested hero in goat rather than the relic hunter as it is much cheaper, shorter wait time, and the cut is pretty much the same. I will post some before and after pictures later on if my relic hunter gets rained on to show how much of a difference it makes.
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

Thee wrote:
This went through the washing machine? I had contemplated going out in a light rain but I was under the impression that the color would alter. I love mine already so wasn't going to risk it. So this is not the case? I love some of the texture but it's a bit too much overall for my preference
That isn't my jacket but pictures of someone else's which I got from the fortune and glory forum. All he said was "My SL BK after a wash" so I don't exactly know what the "wash" consisted of but I reckon it was more than just getting rained on. I have one in the striated lamb myself and I wouldn't hesitate to wear mine in some rain as long as it isn't pouring. But that's probably because I bought mine second hand. So IMO you don't need to buy another but if you did I would go for a wested hero in goat rather than the relic hunter as it is much cheaper, shorter wait time, and the cut is pretty much the same. I will post some before and after pictures later on if my relic hunter gets rained on to show how much of a difference it makes.

I already have a Wested goat from years ago which is still nowhere near as comfortable as my BK by a long shot. It's too warm in CA for anything heavier than lamb for me. Plus, as of this moment I am done with Wested. Will gladly give BK more business though as it went super smooth for my current jacket with a spot on fit.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I’ve put my BK Holy Grail on eBay now, will see if I can list it in the classifieds here too
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Anybody heard updates from BK regarding their updates based on the Truck jacket information? I believe Andy was looking at updating their Relic Hunter or creating a new model of it. Just wondering if there is anything new.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Thee wrote:
I have a Relic Hunter that I purchased second hand on eBay about a year ago and I swear it looks identical to this jacket. Same grain pop and everything. I had to do some rehab on it when I got it because it had a nasty film on it, but now that it has been cleaned up it has a lot of character. I'll have to post some pictures.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

A friend of mine invited me to a Sunday-evening Halloween party on the roof of her apartment. Naturally, I figured it’s a great time to bust out the Relic Hunter for the first time this fall. It’s a little over a year old and I’m ready to start wearing it again!
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

drewgarcia618 wrote:Image

A friend of mine invited me to a Sunday-evening Halloween party on the roof of her apartment. Naturally, I figured it’s a great time to bust out the Relic Hunter for the first time this fall. It’s a little over a year old and I’m ready to start wearing it again!
The image seems to be broken.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Here it is:

Looks great!

I never stopped wearing mine this year: summer in the UK was a bit disappointing :)
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Did anyone see the documentary about the origins of the SAS called Rogue Warriors presented and written by Ben MacIntyre? It's been repeated on BBC Four a few times and is terrific stuff; they're even dramatising it at the moment to be called Rogue Heroes, written by the guy who made Peaky Blinders and starring Jack O'Connell.

Anyway, for the whole of Rogue Warriors MacIntyre wore a Bill Kelso Relic Hunter (confirmed by the guy from BK); and seeing its lovely buttery but grainy texture onscreen really sold it to me and was the main factor in making sure I bought one!

You can watch the first part here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x69xxug
It's a brilliant story regardless: I think most Indy fans would enjoy it.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, we were aware. :TOH:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... e+Warriors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regard! Michaelson
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Cool, well now you have some photos! :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Thunderspy wrote:Here it is:

Looks great!

I never stopped wearing mine this year: summer in the UK was a bit disappointing :)
Is that goatskin?
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Thanks Thunderspy for fixing that picture for me! Thee, yes it’s the goatskin. I love it: it’s light, tough, patinas well in the places it’s starting to wear, and it looks pretty Raiders to me. I couldn’t be happier with it!
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Interesting! Mine is Striated Lamb and apart from the striations it doesn't really look much different.