Todd’s S&W came today

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

IndyJames98
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Todd’s S&W came today

Post by IndyJames98 »

First off this thing is amazing. It looks and feels like an actual revolver. I honestly couldn’t be happier. I’ll never have to buy another revolver again. Before this I had the artsee1 resin model which I will still keep for conventions and stuff. It fits in great with my spade arch leather holster. I’m extremely happy I pulled the trigger before it sold out.

Also how do I remove the orange tip?
Attachments
F67A8260-A8CA-4611-832A-F9F801C77665.jpeg
032D4A18-73A5-4C76-968C-5E9FC79623AA.jpeg
agary7046
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Todd’s S&W came today

Post by agary7046 »

Looks good! I have been looking for another option to replace my real revolver as it’s not ideal for parties...

For the orange tip it depends on what it is, I can’t really tell from the pictures. If it’s like a plastic cover you can heat it up with either a hair dryer or something to melt the glue and that should help get it off.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

IndyJames98 wrote:Also how do I remove the orange tip?
Check Todd’s site. Depends on which finish you got.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

That looks fantastic. Local laws stopped me ordering one of those or I'd have been in like a shot ( as it were) :TOH:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Nice score ..

I hope you manage to remove the orange tip and it might be a good option to see if you can get an original pair of wooden grips (hopefully they fit).
IndianaFoust
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndianaFoust »

One of the citrus based paint removers should get the orange off. The weight is better than a resin, but still quite lighter than an actual revolver.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

be careful with a hair dryer .. the barrel is the main plastic part .. it would be a ghastly mistake if it warped or distorted ... if its a dipped enamel/or painted part there will be no easy way to remove it plus anything you do may damage the blued effect ...
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

CitriStrip should remove it just fine.
IndyJames98
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyJames98 »

I ended up using rubbing alcohol. Took a while but it didn’t damage the Jupiter finish. I need to find some wood grips now.
Attachments
EF64A6DE-6D41-4720-86F3-BAA0B95B55E5.jpeg
EF64A6DE-6D41-4720-86F3-BAA0B95B55E5.jpeg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Nice. If the replica is as accurate as it seems, authentic grips should fit, though are very expensive. There are reproduction grips on the market that are much more reasonably priced.

I don't think I could bring myself to do it, but do you plan to chip the corner off the left grip?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndyJames98
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyJames98 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Nice. If the replica is as accurate as it seems, authentic grips should fit, though are very expensive. There are reproduction grips on the market that are much more reasonably priced.

I don't think I could bring myself to do it, but do you plan to chip the corner off the left grip?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I’m not that ballsy with it yet. Maybe when I located some wood grips.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Indiana Jeff wrote: There are reproduction grips on the market that are much more reasonably priced.
Any recommendations where to find these? Any sellers or website you'd recommend?

Also, mine replica just came today - it is INCREDIBLY accurate and also decently heavy. (I know people had felt previous versions were too light, but this thing is the real deal). The handle is great looking, but I'm considering replacing it with a wood grip just to balance out the weight.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Also, I removed the orange tip this morning with nail polish remover without too much work! The hardest part was getting into the little corners and crevices around the sight and inside the barrel. But in case the next person is looking for an easy household solution - nail polish remover does the trick!
IndianaFoust
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndianaFoust »

Wood grips
I haven't got any for mine so I cannot say whether they fit or not...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/979450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/979460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Those look great, but they have the incorrect medallion. Is the medallion something you could move over from the Todd's replica? Otherwise these look good and the price isn't bad at all.

Any other leads on replica wooden handles with the golden S&W medallion?
IndianaFoust
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndianaFoust »

I'm sure the medallion can be removed. I found S&W medallions on ebay for around $30 more if it matters that much to you. I don't know how hard to switch them might be and possibly ruin the Tanaka grips. Personally, I'd just try to paint or tint the silver ones. Otherwise you are probably going to have to find originals, which are going to be at least what the price of the repro grips plus the medallions cost.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've seen reproductions on Etsy and Ebay. It's worth checking out Etsy and if a maker has something close, contact them and see if they'll custom make some for you.

Some gold Rub 'N Buff would probably work on the silver medallions to get a better color.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I've seen reproductions on Etsy and Ebay. It's worth checking out Etsy and if a maker has something close, contact them and see if they'll custom make some for you.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/725946802/ ... er_profile
Yeah it looks like this Etsy seller had the exact grip, just not currently for sale. Their prices seem super reasonable for the things they currently have up in their store. I might reach out to them to see if they'd consider making one of these again.

If so, any other takers? Happy to let them know there's more interest than just me if that's the case.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Some photos after removing the orange tip and distressing using these auction photos as reference
https://www.mrgundealer.com/shop/indian ... apty-47063
Attachments
Todds Bapty 2.jpg
Todds Bapty 1.jpg
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The distressing looks great.

A little black wash on the grips will help darken them up and help them look more like worn wood.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Indiana Jeff wrote:A little black wash on the grips will help darken them up and help them look more like worn wood.
Thanks for the idea! Do you have any recommendations for making the wash? Just watered down black house paint? I tried black shoe polish, but that obviously didn't do much on plastic #-o
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I found my pair with a gold medallion on evilbay.
Just do a search S&W 1917 grips or just S&W grips.

Took couple of years of on and off searching but eventually found a pair.

I love how it turned out, nice job.

Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

mr_alex wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:A little black wash on the grips will help darken them up and help them look more like worn wood.
Thanks for the idea! Do you have any recommendations for making the wash? Just watered down black house paint? I tried black shoe polish, but that obviously didn't do much on plastic #-o
Watered down acrylic is your best bet. House paint is latex and I think would peel off plastic. Use a dry brushing technique where you wet the brush, then dab off most of the paint and then brush onto the grips. Then using a rag to wipe off some of the paint. That'll leave darker areas in the recesses where dirt and grime would build up.

Another thought would be to apply the paint, remove most of it (you don't want the entire grip to be jet black) and then wearing gloves handle the wet grips. My thinking is this would take off the paint where your hand touches the grips and leaves a little more paint where it doesn't. The idea is to simulate the wear on the grips from regular handling.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Try https://www.gunbroker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I bought my 1915 S&W HE on there, you might luck out. Hope this helps :TOH:
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
mr_alex wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:A little black wash on the grips will help darken them up and help them look more like worn wood.... Watered down acrylic is your best bet.
A little black acrylic paint, water, and voilà!
Attachments
Bapty 2.jpg
Bapty 1.jpg
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Night and day, well done!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Great transformation.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Thank you, gents!

I'm really happy with it. Especially comparing to what it looked like right out the box. NOW it looks like it's been on a few adventures ;)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Well done, IJ. That looks GREAT and should be the go-by for anyone looking to do the same to theirs.