Raiders Jacket: Squib vs Bullet

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Raiders Jacket: Squib vs Bullet

Post by knibs7 »

(Not sure where to put this, so mods, feel free to move it)

I got my S&J RAIDERS "Truck" jacket in this past week and finally did something I've always been curious about. Clearly, we know that Harrison wasn't actually shot in the arm. But I've always wanted to see what an actual 9mm round would do to a jacket. So. I decided to to a little "myth busting" of my own. I fired a normal (non JHP) 9mm round into the sleeve of my jacket. The result was pretty much what I figured it would be. The damage wasn't even close to what we see in the movie. Of course, why would it be, when a squib is literally a small EXPLOSION?! Haha. However, I did think the damage would have been slightly more severe. But unless you're looking for it, you wouldn't really know a bullet had gone through the sleeve.

As for the jacket itself: Since the bullet didn't make a SA hole, I had to go and "cheat" a little bit, by using an exact-o knife. The quality of the jacket is absolutely AMAZING!! I couldn't have asked for a better jacket! The leather is some of the best in which i've ever come into contact. And the undertones are spot on! (Which is one of the main factors I look for in a jacket)
I would have to say it's definitely the best RAIDERS jacket out there. Especially if you want the most bang for your buck... literally!! Thanks again, Diego and Roberto!!

:TOH:

https://imgur.com/1gTZ4xG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (video)

https://imgur.com/Ps0HI3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Entry hole)

https://imgur.com/gwydXzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Exit hole)

https://imgur.com/Vn8matZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (RAIDERS screen cap)

https://imgur.com/LgW4vTs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (RAIDERS screen cap)

https://imgur.com/QjJ8kYu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Finshed Jacket)
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Raiders Jacket: Squib vs Bullet

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I always had the impression that the bullet grazed the arm... so there really wouldn't be a clear entry and exit but more of a tear. Just some of my "head canon" I guess...
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indy Magnoli wrote:I always had the impression that the bullet grazed the arm... so there really wouldn't be a clear entry and exit but more of a tear. Just some of my "head canon" I guess...
Initially, I thought the same. But then I looked again at how big the hole in the sleeve was. I tried to “graze” the sleeve, but without a laser and a mounted gun, it was as close as I could get. And I also wondered that if it just grazed Indy, he must not really be *that* tough, if it caused him that much pain LOL
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

YOU SHOT YOUR JACKET :shock:

Man that must have been...........I don’t know, I have no words.
On my jacket I worry that the leather would either tear or a hole would appear in an area that is creased.

But you had to go and shoot your jacket.
I wonder what one would look like from S&J, maybe they can do a mock up of just a sleeve.

But you shot your jacket. Wow.

Croft :mrgreen:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Croft wrote:YOU SHOT YOUR JACKET :shock:

On my jacket I worry that the leather would either tear or a hole would appear in an area that is creased.

I wonder what one would look like from S&J, maybe they can do a mock up of just a sleeve.

This. :shock: :-0 :shock:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Knibs, just to confirm, you don’t plan to drag behind a truck, or hang on to a periscope, or ride in a Ford Trimotor, etc. in the near future, do you?

Asking for a concerned friend... :TOH:

:D
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

Indiana Croft wrote:YOU SHOT YOUR JACKET :shock:

The bar has now been irrevocably raised. Time to break out your Bapty...

Carolina
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Tibor wrote:Knibs, just to confirm, you don’t plan to drag behind a truck, or hang on to a periscope, or ride in a Ford Trimotor, etc. in the near future, do you?

Asking for a concerned friend... :TOH:

:D
Actually, yes to being dragged. Yes to the periscope, if I had access to one. And yes to the “Tin Goose.” ;) :TOH:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

But, ...you’d stay in the Trimotor til you got back to land, and not eye the inflatable raft, right?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

But you shot your jacket.
And I know what they cost.

And Carolina, the bar hasn’t been raised high, but I can try too limba.

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Croft wrote:But you shot your jacket.
And I know what they cost.

And Carolina, the bar hasn’t been raised high, but I can try too limba.

That’s why I bought 2... in case I screwed the pooch on this one :lol:
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

knibs7 wrote:(Not sure where to put this, so mods, feel free to move it)

I got my S&J RAIDERS "Truck" jacket in this past week and finally did something I've always been curious about. Clearly, we know that Harrison wasn't actually shot in the arm. But I've always wanted to see what an actual 9mm round would do to a jacket. So. I decided to to a little "myth busting" of my own. I fired a normal (non JHP) 9mm round into the sleeve of my jacket. The result was pretty much what I figured it would be. The damage wasn't even close to what we see in the movie. Of course, why would it be, when a squib is literally a small EXPLOSION?! Haha. However, I did think the damage would have been slightly more severe. But unless you're looking for it, you wouldn't really know a bullet had gone through the sleeve.

As for the jacket itself: Since the bullet didn't make a SA hole, I had to go and "cheat" a little bit, by using an exact-o knife. The quality of the jacket is absolutely AMAZING!! I couldn't have asked for a better jacket! The leather is some of the best in which i've ever come into contact. And the undertones are spot on! (Which is one of the main factors I look for in a jacket)
I would have to say it's definitely the best RAIDERS jacket out there. Especially if you want the most bang for your buck... literally!! Thanks again, Diego and Roberto!!

https://imgur.com/1gTZ4xG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (video)

https://imgur.com/Ps0HI3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Entry hole)

https://imgur.com/gwydXzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Exit hole)

https://imgur.com/Vn8matZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (RAIDERS screen cap)

https://imgur.com/LgW4vTs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (RAIDERS screen cap)

https://imgur.com/QjJ8kYu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Finshed Jacket)
Your Steele & Jones Truck Chase jacket looks incredible. Congrats on the acquisition! From that one photo, it appears there is fabric tape above the pockets that matches the original jacket. Has Diego updated the S&J Truck Chase?

Best,
Carolina
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

I think we all know where this is going. He buys a 1950s lead-lined refrigerator...
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Wow! You shot the jacket! :shock: :shock: :shock:

No orderer asked for bullet hole on the sleeve yet.

But in case someone asks, I think I can doing it just cutting the leather in a Y shape.
To achieve the screen look.

As for the "backing tape" above the pocket's flaps.
This is the first jacket to include them.
Kind of a prototype. We saw we can make it.
We've being offering this feature detail for the last jackets, but no other had accepted it.
Not a neat/correct detail, for an everyday use jacket. But accurate to movie jacket.

Hey knibs! Looking foward to wearing pics!
Cheers.-
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

Indiego Jones wrote: As for the "backing tape" above the pocket's flaps.
This is the first jacket to include them.
Kind of a prototype. We saw we can make it.
We've being offering this feature detail for the last jackets, but no other had accepted it.
Not a neat/correct detail, for an everyday use jacket. But accurate to movie jacket.
WOW...that is next-level accuracy for sure. You guys keep raising the bar with every jacket!

Hope you're doing well, Diego. Still looking forward to visiting your area once we get past COVID.

Best,
Carolina
davidpatrick007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by davidpatrick007 »

Wow that is about as detailed as you can get.............Very expensive jacket to do that mock-up.

Enjoy!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Indy Magnoli wrote:I always had the impression that the bullet grazed the arm... so there really wouldn't be a clear entry and exit but more of a tear. Just some of my "head canon" I guess...

That's always the way I viewed it. Though for the bullet to actually hit Indy in the arm, it would have had to tear a good hole in the sleeve.

Though this is all thoughts about a fictional character in a movie.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

That and remember the Nazi shot him at close range, that would have some impact (pardon the pun) on how the bullet world enter the leather, even if it was a graze type shot.
And it is a movie, has to be dramatic, blah, blah, blah. :anxious:

Anyway, I feel better knowing you bought two jackets.

Now about this tape, mine obviously doesn't have it and for some reason when I click on the link Imgur won't open and show the pic, so I'll look at it with my tablet.
But why Diego do say not for every day wear.
And your jackets are getting to be known as the jacket for SA.
Next movie (when ever) you might just get a call.

Stay safe, and Knibs7, try closer and a bigger caliber, now that I know this isn't going to be your every day wear jacket, go for it. :CR:

Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Indiana Croft wrote: But why Diego do say not for every day wear.
Oh, you can wear it every day, no problem with that.
Just saying isn't a neat way of construction method.
How to say it? It's a way to built a jacket in a rush.
Without caring too much about it.

Cheers.-
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Croft wrote:That and remember the Nazi shot him at close range, that would have some impact (pardon the pun) on how the bullet world enter the leather, even if it was a graze type shot.
And it is a movie, has to be dramatic, blah, blah, blah. :anxious:

Anyway, I feel better knowing you bought two jackets.

Now about this tape, mine obviously doesn't have it and for some reason when I click on the link Imgur won't open and show the pic, so I'll look at it with my tablet.
But why Diego do say not for every day wear.
And your jackets are getting to be known as the jacket for SA.
Next movie (when ever) you might just get a call.

Stay safe, and Knibs7, try closer and a bigger caliber, now that I know this isn't going to be your every day wear jacket, go for it. :CR:

Well, I would’ve used a bigger caliber, but they used a “9mm” in the movie, so that’s what I wanted to go with. And it’s hard to tell from the video, but I’m really only about 5ft from the jacket... which isn’t *too* much further than the Nazi who shoots Indy. So I doubt another 1-2 ft closer would’ve made much of a difference. Maybe I should’ve pretended I was Dirty Harry instead! :lol: :TOH:
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

knibs7 wrote:(Not sure where to put this, so mods, feel free to move it)

I PMed you again. Please check your messages.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Go ahead, make my day.
Or is it.
In all this confusion did I fire 6 shots or only 5, you gotta ask your self, do you feel lucky.

Clint's one of my all time favorites.
Have many a movie one sheets of his.

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Croft wrote:Go ahead, make my day.
Or is it.
In all this confusion did I fire 6 shots or only 5, you gotta ask your self, do you feel lucky.

Clint's one of my all time favorites.
Have many a movie one sheets of his.

“Mister, I gots to know!” :lol: