Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Hey all, Andy recently sent me my tracking number. What site should I use to track it prior to it getting into the states?
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

drewgarcia618 wrote:Hey all, Andy recently sent me my tracking number. What site should I use to track it prior to it getting into the states?
I know that when I ordered my Akubra, I got the Australian post tracking number and was able to track it through that site. When it hit the States and USPS took possession, I was able to use the same number to track it from there. Not sure where the Kelsos ship from, but I feel like it may have a similar system.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Yup, I haven't been able to track international shipments until they enter the U.S. system. Just be patient. :P
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Finally got my BK in, and my god it’s gorgeous. I’m a bit heavier at the moment than I should be, so it’s a bit tight in the gut (thanks surgery), but I’m ecstatic. It’s light, but still feels strong and tough as all get out. Fall can’t come quick enough! (It’s a South America version in Goat)

In case the image add doesn’t work, here’s the link to the pics: https://imgur.com/a/M5wTNEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

That looks fantastic. Can't wait to see what that goatskin looks like when it is broken in. Wear it around the house as much as you can in the mean time. Should really take shape. Well done!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That looks really good. Congrats. I'm tempted to get a Relic Hunter in goat myself.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Wondered what it looked like in goat. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

My Relic Hunter finally arrived a few weeks ago. I'm truly impressed with the lambskin, fit, and finish. I mean, just check out that grain. Well done Andy, it was well worth the wait. Now I want the Holy Grail jacket. ;)

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Congrats! That looks gorgeous. :TOH:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Oh, and the smell of a new Kelso... so nice. :)
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Looks really good! When did you place the order?
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Tibor wrote:Oh, and the smell of a new Kelso... so nice. :)
Yes, indeed. I forgot about the smell. It's delicious.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Looks really good! When did you place the order?
Thanks. I ordered back in November. He was supposed to get a new batch of striated lamb in February, but when corona hit everything stopped. No worries though, I'm super happy with it.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Some bad selfie fit pics. I will take some more appropriate pics (hopefully fully geared) soon.

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The fit is spot on. Wear it in good health.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Color and fit look great! Time to train that collar. :TOH:
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Color and fit look great! Time to train that collar. :TOH:
Oh, I'm training. This flattened, spread look is the look I'm going for:

https://movie-screencaps.com/raiders-lo ... ?strip=all

https://movie-screencaps.com/raiders-lo ... ?strip=all
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

What are you doing to train it?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Looks like you've nailed it. I immediately spotted that was the look you were going for.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Trenin wrote:What are you doing to train it?
Just some good old fashioned elbow grease. Pat it down and make sure the top of the placket rolls out to give the spread to the collar.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

xmasters wrote:Looks like you've nailed it. I immediately spotted that was the look you were going for.
Thanks! Good eye. I think it’s getting there.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Time for an update to this thread to spice things up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TZRrd3y
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Now that is a beauty! Great gear, too!
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Awesome gear set up, and the Kelso is a head turner. Texture in the leather is on point. Congrats!
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

Beautiful jacket and perfect fit,please can you tell me the size of the jacket,42R,44R,etc..?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Wow! excellent.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

indymassilia wrote:Beautiful jacket and perfect fit,please can you tell me the size of the jacket,42R,44R,etc..?
Thank you everyone!

I am a 42R in just about everything, including this jacket.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

After a very long time wait, finally get to wear my Bill Kelso Holy Grail jacket out ...

Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

CRB wrote:After a very long time wait, finally get to wear my Bill Kelso Holy Grail jacket out ...

Wow that is the first picture I have seen of someone's BK holy grail jacket. It doesn't look very much like the one in LC to me. Which skin did you choose?
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I do agree with you ! I chose the Venice lambskin as that was the one that was supposedly tailor made for the design and made to distress like the film. The shoulders feel too square on it though to really give it that screen accurate look, and quite frankly the leather feels no different than what Wested use, it's not particularly soft/drapey. I do like the dark colour, so will keep it for a while before possibly selling it on.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

CRB wrote:I do agree with you ! I chose the Venice lambskin as that was the one that was supposedly tailor made for the design and made to distress like the film. The shoulders feel too square on it though to really give it that screen accurate look, and quite frankly the leather feels no different than what Wested use, it's not particularly soft/drapey. I do like the dark colour, so will keep it for a while before possibly selling it on.
The skin does look alot like wested's authentic lamb or goat. As for the boxy shoulders this is something I have observed even on BK's relic hunter jackets but not quite as extreme as your holy grail jacket has.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The Venice Lamb needs to be distressed and then it looks more screen accurate.

Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

THAT mask
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Thee wrote:
CRB wrote:After a very long time wait, finally get to wear my Bill Kelso Holy Grail jacket out ...

Wow that is the first picture I have seen of someone's BK holy grail jacket. It doesn't look very much like the one in LC to me. Which skin did you choose?
You haven't had much good to say about anything since you started posting. I would advise you to choose your words more carefully perhaps as you're judging his entire jacket on one grainy, small photo of him wearing a backpack.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

marker2037 wrote:
Thee wrote:

You haven't had much good to say about anything since you started posting. I would advise you to choose your words more carefully perhaps as you're judging his entire jacket on one grainy, small photo of him wearing a backpack.
He agreed with me on what I said about the jacket, Didn't realize this place is just supposed to be a circle jerk.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Thee wrote:THAT mask
Try looking at the jacket...
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Thee wrote:
marker2037 wrote:
Thee wrote:

He agreed with me on what I said about the jacket, Didn't realize this place is just supposed to be a circle jerk.
](*,) Christ, you don't get it. Where are you from, Streetwear side of Styleforum? lol
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

marker2037 wrote:
Thee wrote:
marker2037 wrote:
Thee wrote:

](*,) Christ, you don't get it. Where are you from, Streetwear side of Styleforum? lol
My name's not Christ and I don't know what the 'styleforum' is.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

CRB, I think it looks good. Love that the undertones are brown per xmasters - a good amount of wear and the look will come out on its own. Now about that untucked shirt... :CR: Keep us updated as it breaks in.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Wow, has this thread taken a strange, dark turn.

The backpack is going to make the shoulders look boxy and the fit awkward. I've heard from many people that the LC is often the hardest jacket for them to fit -- the leather is thinner than most people realize and it's shorter than people realize and unlike the more OTR fit of a CS jacket, the LC fit is...different. People expect weird fit from a Raiders jacket more than an LC, and often opt for an LC thinking it's a more normal fit.

But I've always been curious about BK's LC jacket, there isn't much out there and what I have seen doesn't make me eager to pull the trigger. I respect BK's desire to replicate the leather of the Indy jackets, but that's a level of screen accuracy I don't care to go (there's a reason my Relic Hunter is in goat and my S&J is in HH) and to bring this thing back to being about the Relic Hunter, I think that's where there bread and butter is. They've been making it for years and have all that experience and feedback.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Wow, has this thread taken a strange, dark turn.

The backpack is going to make the shoulders look boxy and the fit awkward. I've heard from many people that the LC is often the hardest jacket for them to fit -- the leather is thinner than most people realize and it's shorter than people realize and unlike the more OTR fit of a CS jacket, the LC fit is...different. People expect weird fit from a Raiders jacket more than an LC, and often opt for an LC thinking it's a more normal fit.

But I've always been curious about BK's LC jacket, there isn't much out there and what I have seen doesn't make me eager to pull the trigger. I respect BK's desire to replicate the leather of the Indy jackets, but that's a level of screen accuracy I don't care to go (there's a reason my Relic Hunter is in goat and my S&J is in HH) and to bring this thing back to being about the Relic Hunter, I think that's where there bread and butter is. They've been making it for years and have all that experience and feedback.
I largely agree with you there, I haven't seen any photos of BK's TOD jacket being worn but someone in the thread I started about it said he thought it was the best TOD jacket out there so that may also be their bread and butter.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Yes, it was a terrible photo of mine, even worse to see it re-quoted a few more times ! It was the first time I wore it out on a long walk so took that photo. The backpack didn't help (and for the record the shirt is a thick overshirt by Matchless and not designed to be tucked in :) ). However, in contrast to the Relic Hunter, it's certainly a different jacket. My relic hunter is one of the original striated lamb batches (no.22 in fact, but I think they stopped numbering now) - the leather is heavier and feels tougher than the Venice lambskin for the Holy Grail jacket. One thing about the fit - the shoulder width. I had to size up (I take a 40 in the Relic and a 42 in the Holy Grail), but even after sizing up, the shoulder width from collar to top of sleeve is almost a full inch shorter on the Holy Grail (and that includes a size up). This explains why the sleeves come up shorter despite me ordering the same length sleeve as the Relic and why the shoulders look squarer and more formal than the Relic. Personally I think they need to work on the pattern a bit more as it looks more relaxed in the film. It seems something that Steele & Jones have got bang on accurate, hence I now have an order in with them for a Tank jacket.

Here are some better photos of the Venice leather Holy Grail:

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

That's nice lookin leather, just needs distressing that's all and it'll become a go to jacket. :CR:
Wonder if some Pecards would relax the shoulders some. :-k

Wear it in good health. :TOH:

Croft
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

I think just wearing it, sitting on the couch in it, etc. will get the shoulders to relax as with all leather jackets.

It's beautiful though and I want to get a LC jacket, likely the Kelso.
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Do any of you know who BK uses to ship a jacket to the U.S.? I have a package on the way and he sent me a tracking number but I have no idea what company it is for
Thanks
Caber 8)
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Caber wrote:Do any of you know who BK uses to ship a jacket to the U.S.? I have a package on the way and he sent me a tracking number but I have no idea what company it is for
Thanks
Caber 8)
Caber, I just did a Google search as I've often ordered stuff from outside the US. I found this site which tracks packages, using over 170 postal carriers. :mrgreen:
https://m.17track.net/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Well it looks like its been Stuck in Greece since the 9th of this month

Cabe 8)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Caber wrote:Well it looks like its been Stuck in Greece since the 9th of this month

Cabe 8)
My experience with Bill Kelso has been that your jacket will register as "still in Greece" (something like "loaded at Athens") all the way until it clears customs in the US. So if it shipped on the 9th and it still says it's in Greece, it's probably flying over the Atlantic, or is sitting in customs stateside right now. This is all assuming that you live in the US.
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Mulceber wrote:
Caber wrote:Well it looks like its been Stuck in Greece since the 9th of this month

Cabe 8)
My experience with Bill Kelso has been that your jacket will register as "still in Greece" (something like "loaded at Athens") all the way until it clears customs in the US. So if it shipped on the 9th and it still says it's in Greece, it's probably flying over the Atlantic, or is sitting in customs stateside right now. This is all assuming that you live in the US.
Excellent Information. Thanks so much
Caber 8)
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Are there any pictures of the Relic Hunter jacket in the bantu wind style?