Hat ID help

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyShane
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Hat ID help

Post by IndyShane »

Hello all,

I wonder if you folks can help me ID this hat. I picked it up for $8 at a thrift store. After much googling I can't find any info on it. As you can see, it's a black Stetson, but the lettering is so small and blurred underneath the logo I can't get much more info. Did Stetson license hats with the Lucasfilm? It feels like fur felt. Any idea of its worth? I rely on your crowd sourcing for help! 8)

Thank you so much,

Indy Shane
Attachments
Black Stetson
Black Stetson
Black Stetson
Black Stetson
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Hat ID help

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That looks like one of the licensed Stetson's from 1984 (ish) coinciding with the release of Temple of Doom. The ones that were lined like that are fur felt. The unlined ones with just a label on the inside were wool. I see these listed on eBay from time to time in the $50 to $80 range, if in good condition, sometimes with the box.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nice hats, and I've worn out a few in my time 'back in the day', but be aware that Stetson used powdered dyes in their felt. If you get in a soaking rain storm, expect a river of black water to run down between your eyes as the dye releases from the felt.

Been there, done that, my daughters laughed so hard at me they fell down. :[ :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Yes, these are from 1984. When I was an active collector of Indy stuff, I had many of them, both fur felt and wool felt, and I still have a few. The fur felts were very consistent in shape but varied in felt quality; the wool felts varied considerably in shape, even though they had identical labels. Dorfman Pacific took over the license at the time of LAST CRUSADE, if I remember correctly. I sold most of my collection years ago, but can't remember what the average selling price of the hats was; probably more than they would fetch today.

Jack.
IndyShane
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndyShane »

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably wear it when the occasion calls for it, ie when wearing black, lol. It will replace a very stained and worn out black Selentino fedora I got 20 years ago.

Thanks again,

Shane