Fedora for kids?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kevin83
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Fedora for kids?

Post by Kevin83 »

Hi,

I recently introduced my 5 year-old son to Indy. We’ve watched all four films in the last two weeks, and he’s understandably hooked on all things Indy. So of course he wants an Indy hat. I know there is a costume hat from Rubie’s that would probably fit but the quality doesn’t seem to be there and I don’t think it would hold up. It doesn’t have to be fur felt, or even completely screen accurate, but does anyone have a lead on a boys brown fedora that will stand up to moderate play? Head size is about 50 cm. Thanks!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Fedora for kids?

Post by IJJTM »

Kevin83 wrote:Hi,

I recently introduced my 5 year-old son to Indy. We’ve watched all four films in the last two weeks, and he’s understandably hooked on all things Indy. So of course he wants an Indy hat. I know there is a costume hat from Rubie’s that would probably fit but the quality doesn’t seem to be there and I don’t think it would hold up. It doesn’t have to be fur felt, or even completely screen accurate, but does anyone have a lead on a boys brown fedora that will stand up to moderate play? Head size is about 50 cm. Thanks!
My first two hats were made by Dorfman Pacific, I got them when I was young and I had a lot of fun with them, they still hold up to this day, and they’re relatively cheap compared to other Indy hats, give them a look.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It’s great your son is embracing Indy!

Given he’s going to grow, I would stick with a wool fedora. I know we get hung up on such things, but you should be able to find a brown wool felt fedora for $20-25 for him that will look perfect to his eyes.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Agreed with Indiana Jeff.

When I was a kid I had a cheap dark green canvas affair I bought from JC Pennys because to my eyes it was spot on.

I think any kid would love the official products just because they even say Indiana Jones on them.

https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/ ... LEQAvD_BwE

Keep on raising your kid right. If your kids getting into Indy then it sounds like you're already doing a great job. :TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I remember that Todd's had kid costume pieces which included Indy. Not sure if he has those anymore, though.
Kevin83
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kevin83 »

Thanks everyone. That Dorfman Pacific at Village Hat Shop is exactly what I need, thank you for the link! I’m glad he took to it; I’m a huge Indy fan so it’s great to have someone to share in the fun with.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Kevin83 wrote:Thanks everyone. That Dorfman Pacific at Village Hat Shop is exactly what I need, thank you for the link! I’m glad he took to it; I’m a huge Indy fan so it’s great to have someone to share in the fun with.
This is a bond you and your son will share for the rest of your lives. Someday, he may even inherit and cherish his Dad's old Indy gear pieces.

It doesn't get better than that! :)