Its not the years it's the mileage: resurrecting a fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Its not the years it's the mileage: resurrecting a fedora

Post by Ken »

So I know it's been a while since I last visited the boards and consequently I never got round to posting this.

My AB has been through a lot with me - jungles, deserts and mountains and was looking pretty beat up. I was at the point where I thought buying a new fedora might be the only option but just in case it could be salvaged I sent it off to Thomas at adVintage to see what could he do.

Not only did he manage to bring it back from the dead he made it look better than it ever did. I can't say enough things about what a great job he did with it. Barely believe it's the same hat.

Bigger image here: https://imgur.com/a/dBRzlSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now just a question of how long it will be until it needs its next life-saving operation. ;)

Ken
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Its not the years it's the mileage: resurrecting a fedor

Post by whiskyman »

Great job, nice to see you again! - how's that film coming along? :CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WOW!!! Gorgeous job! Also shows how resilient these hats are when made out of good material!

Agreed! Where HAS my stunt double been all this time?? :-k

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Wow, that reblock is incredible! Here’s to many more adventures with it :H:
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

whiskyman wrote:Great job, nice to see you again! - how's that film coming along? :CR:
I hear top men are working on it...

But we are very close (think it just needs a final sound mix now) , though obviously Covid will add another delay of course.
Michaelson wrote:Agreed! Where HAS my stunt double been all this time??
It has been too long - glad to see everything still going strong.
Ken
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Ken, great to see you! Remember the UK summit we went to back in 2003? That was an awesome summit! Advantage did a great job restoring your Adventurebilt! I, too am having my AB restored over at Penman Hats. :mrgreen:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Ken wrote:So I know it's been a while since I last visited the boards and consequently I never got round to posting this.

My AB has been through a lot with me - jungles, deserts and mountains and was looking pretty beat up. I was at the point where I thought buying a new fedora might be the only option but just in case it could be salvaged I sent it off to Thomas at adVintage to see what could he do.

Not only did he manage to bring it back from the dead he made it look better than it ever did. I can't say enough things about what a great job he did with it. Barely believe it's the same hat.

Now just a question of how long it will be until it needs its next life-saving operation. ;)

Ken
Holy cow! :shock: Both to the battering your hat withstood -- and to the amazing job Thomas at AdVintage did in restoring it.

I guess that's a testament to the quality of the original AB hat and to Thomas's skills. Glad to see your old-friend fedora has a lot more adventures ahead of it. :TOH:

None of my hats are that old, or have been through so much, so I have yet to face the choice of restoring or replacing a well-worn hat. But it sound like you're thrilled you decided to give your another lifetime. That will probably make wearing it even more special to you.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Canyon wrote:Ken, great to see you! Remember the UK summit we went to back in 2003? That was an awesome summit! Advantage did a great job restoring your Adventurebilt! I, too am having my AB restored over at Penman Hats. :mrgreen:
I remember! It was a great trip - best of luck with your restoration Canyon.
Howard Weinstein wrote:
Holy cow! :shock: Both to the battering your hat withstood -- and to the amazing job Thomas at AdVintage did in restoring it.

I guess that's a testament to the quality of the original AB hat and to Thomas's skills. Glad to see your old-friend fedora has a lot more adventures ahead of it. :TOH:

None of my hats are that old, or have been through so much, so I have yet to face the choice of restoring or replacing a well-worn hat. But it sound like you're thrilled you decided to give your another lifetime. That will probably make wearing it even more special to you.
It really opened my eyes to the power of a reblock - definitely worth considering if you ever find yourself asking that question.

Ken
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Looks awesome Ken! Welcome back!
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Love that mushroom shape in the after picture!
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

zeus36 wrote:Love that mushroom shape in the after picture!
Yes - he really nailed the SoC bash!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Incredible how much it was able to take and still be made a new hat again... Perhaps Indy himself doesn't go through hats as much as expected...only has a good hatter restore them...

:-k,
Bear
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Never underestimate the strength of a good felt. Unless it's got a hole in it, it can always be resurrected. Even if it's got a thin spot, that can often be reinforced and brought back by a good hatter with the equipment and experience.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

That's good to know! I am not very forgiving with my hats... I'm happy to know they can be resurrected. :CR:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Wow. That hat has SEEN some things! :Dietrich: Now it looks as good as new!
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

McFly wrote:Wow. That hat has SEEN some things! :Dietrich: Now it looks as good as new!
First time I saw it genuinely didn't think it was the same hat.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

It’s interesting; but the pre reblock photos resemble some of the pictures I’ve seen floating around of the screen used Raiders Hero fedora. Now that’s what I would call “screen accuracy”! :D