Newb with questions. Help.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Newb with questions. Help.

Post by ghostman567 »

Hello. I’ll start with saying you really seem to have a great and helpful community here. I am glad I found you all.

I am interested in getting an Indy jacket but have some questions. I have read a lot of threads and while there is a lot of helpful information there is so much that it becomes confusing. So many different hides and versions almost make it an overwhelming choice. Some folks seem to really love Wested or Magnoli or USW or other different brands. I am not sure what to do.

I am looking for an high quality daily-wear jacket that I can keep for long time and then hand down. I am not too caught up in having a 100% screen accurate jacket. I just really like the style and want a good one. I know if I ask “whats your favorite?” I’ll probably get many different answers.

So based on this I will ask what the recommendation would be for someone who wants an Indy style jacket (with at least an air of authenticity) that can be worn daily and will last a long time. I don’t want to break the bank but have a little flexibility as far as price goes.

Thanks in advance.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Newb with questions. Help.

Post by Adventure Dog »

Welcome aboard Ghostman! We're thrilled to have you, and you question is one that I think all of us have faced at one point or another.

The overwhelmingly good news is that now, more than ever, you have lots of options when it comes to gear choices.

To narrow down the list of options, my first question is: do you have a hard time finding jackets that fit you well? Do you have long arms? Long torso? Broad chest and narrow waist? Huge neck with skinny arms? If so, you may want to consider "Going Custom", which will cost more but give you a better fit.

My first two jackets, bought 2nd hand, were Off the Rack and the arms and body were too short, so now I know buying an OTR jacket from Wested, WPG, or US Wings isn't going to work for me.

What climate do you live in? If it's always hot, then maybe pick a lightweight leather (like lambskin, or ultra-thin something else).

When it comes to leather choice, my preference (hard on my own, precious preference) is to buy rugged, and long lasting, which rules out lambskin (the original leather for the first 3 films). I'm far too clumsy for soft lambskin. For that reason I am saving up for a Horse hide from Steele and Jones. Cowhide and Goatskin are also hard wearing and last a long time.

To clarify, lambskin isn't paper mache, but it's softer than I'd like.

The final question is: what is your actual price point?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

To add to the above, are you familiar with the Raiders/Indy pattern? :-k

It essentially slides off the neck and shoulders when worn. If you aren't comfortable with that prospect, you definitely want to consider custom or something off the rack from Magnoli or Wings, as they have made slight changes to the pattern that keeps the shoulders squarely ON the shoulders.

Many new folks get the material etc. exactly the way they want it, only to toss the jacket aside as they didn't know the jacket would sit on their shoulders they way the Indy jacket does.

Something else to mull over as you go down this fun road. ;)

Let me add my welcome as well!

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M:
ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ghostman567 »

Thanks Adventure Dog. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I would say I am pretty averaged sized (maybe a little heavier around the midsection than I’d like but not too bad) and don’t seem to have too many issues with OTR clothing. I do like my sleeves a little longer than the average (longish arms) but overall don’t have any too many problems finding clothes that fit. The idea of a custom is appealing though.

We are pretty temperate where I live but have very warm summers so actually I would be looking for a three season daily wear jacket. Summer is no jacket required weather. Winters aren’t too cold. I would want something sturdy as I do ride a motorcycle often. I would like something with a little character (distressing) but plan on letting the wear and tear occur naturally.

As for price I would love to get into something for around $300 but wouldn’t be averse to paying around twice that to get something I really love.
ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ghostman567 »

Thanks Michaelson. I have read about that. I gathered that the Wested Hero is pretty well known for that but that the OTR versions were more traditional in their fit.

I do like the cowhide USW version and actually found a jacket called the Roughneck on Cockpit USA that resembles the Indy but is pretty spendy.

The Magnoli white label is another really nice looking jacket.

Concerned about turn around time on a custom though.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Personally, I would go with an S&J in a leather that fits your area...
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

What's your budget and sizing?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ghostman567 wrote:Thanks Michaelson. I have read about that. I gathered that the Wested Hero is pretty well known for that but that the OTR versions were more traditional in their fit.
Actually, any maker that produces a jacket using the actual Raiders/IJ patterns are known for that, so it's not just Wested. ;)

For example, today I'm wearing a 2000 circa Gibson and Barnes that was based on the Raiders stunt jacket pattern that I can ONLY keep on my shoulders if I zip the jacket. It's something you get used to......or not. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

If you want a tough jacket (with a robust lining hide and construction) US Wings goat. Just watch the sizing, you don't want one to fit like a car coat.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If OTR sizing generally works for you, don't shy away from the secondary market for a jacket. You can get great deals for very high quality jackets with years and years of service left in them.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ghostman567 »

Thanks CM. I have been looking at the USWings jackets. When you say car coat, what do you mean?

Thanks IJ. I have been considering that also. I found a nice looking USW goat at what appears to be a pretty good price that I am considering.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Car coats are longer than jackets.....usually a few inches down below your bottom back pocket seam.

They got their name from back in the day when automobiles didn't have heaters (or very good ones). In order to keep your 'back side' warm, you wore a coat that was long enough to sit on, but not as long as an overcoat.

Hence the name 'car coat'.

Back when I was driving my 1950 Plymouth on a daily basis, BELIEVE me, a 'car coat' was a great item to wear on cold winter days (and nights), as those seats got awfully cold! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

You mentioned wearing the jacket while on a motorcycle. For that reason, I would narrow your options to only goatskin or horsehide. You need a tough, hard-wearing hide, although it is no substitute for a properly padded motorcycle jacket.

You may want to check out the goatskin option from Bill Kelso Mfg. Looks to be pretty affordable (compared to their other options), as it is not one of their fancier veg. tanned leathers. And you can do custom sizing with them if need be.

Alternatively, US Wings offers two goatskin jackets right now, one is a foreign-made somewhat slimmer cut jacket, the other is their US made Signature fuller cut jacket. No custom sizing available, though.

Steele and Jones make a super-accurate repro of the film jackets out of a variety of leathers. Inquire with them if interested.

Wested does a goatskin jacket. I would go with their standard fitting (more generalized) jacket for your purposes. They do custom-sizing, but the results can be sometimes unpredictable.

Good luck! :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Another thing to consider for motorcycle driving, is the collar on an Indy jacket doesn't snap down, so you could very well get beaten to death by your own jacket! :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Another thing to consider for motorcycle driving, is the collar on an Indy jacket doesn't snap down, so you could very well get beaten to death by your own jacket! :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I would never choose an Indy Jacket ever for motorcycle use. Leather isn't thick enough (unless you change the leather as pointed out by Forrest but then you change the drape and screen accuracy), no place for padding etc and the collar is annoying as you've pointed out.

I only ever wore it once on my bike and that was enough. I'd also miss the zipper function for the sleeves for cooling off or snugging up over gloves.
ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ghostman567 »

Thanks all. Good advice. I have a moto jacket but I could see myself using the Indy for short slow speed trips. That would be the exception not the norm.

Any one have any experience with flightjackets.com? They have a nice looking OTR goat on sale. Looks like it designed to be more functional than screen accurate but still looks pretty good.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Flightjackets doesn't get a lot of notice here. There are a few old threads (one started by me) if you use the search button (in the header next to FAQ).

I did handle a Flightjackets Indy in horsehide a friend bought and it was a well made jacket and Indy enough if you aren't worried about every last detail.

At a $495 price point you have many, many vendor options for goatskin.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

ghostman567 wrote:Thanks CM. I have been looking at the USWings jackets. When you say car coat, what do you mean?

Thanks IJ. I have been considering that also. I found a nice looking USW goat at what appears to be a pretty good price that I am considering.
Cool. Do it. By car coat I was referring to people who get such an oversized Indy that the baggy jacket almost long enough to be a car coat (a 3/4 length outerwear classic.)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry my explanation of what a car coat is was not adequate.

Hope you find a nice jacket.

Regards. M
ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ghostman567 »

Ah got it. I am a little worried about it being too big but am not sure I am ready to make the leap into a custom jacket yet. Thanks for the advice.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michaelson wrote:Sorry my explanation of what a car coat is was not adequate.

Hope you find a nice jacket.

Regards. M
Your answer was good, M. In fact I think I got my line about the jacket fitting like a car coat from you when you were responding to someone who was wearing a hugely over-sized Indy years ago.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ghostman567 »

Michaelson,

You answer was good. My reply to the car coat comment was meant for you and CM both. Thanks for the help.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

I have two jackets in goat, a Wested LC and a US Wings Signature Series. The Wested is much more authentic to the film, but a bit costumey in construction. The US Wings is built like a working jacket, but fits very differently than the film jackets; too long in the body and roomy in the chest and arms. Neither of them are taking any real distressing, either forced or natural. Seems like the lining will fall apart long before the leather will show any real patina.

For that reason, if you want a jacket that looks like Indy's, don't get goat. IF you want a hard wearing, working jacket, get goat.
fletchshaw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by fletchshaw »

What did you end up getting for your jacket?
ghostman567
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ghostman567 »

Sorry for the radio silence. I ended up with a really good deal on a USW goat that I just couldn't pass up. The fit works pretty well for me. I was hoping it would have a little patina to it but I will have to "earn" that I guess. Thanks for all of the advice.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I would say get a US wings jacket. You don't want to break the bank, you want it last a long time and you're not too concerned about screen accuracy. Simple as that.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Grendl wrote:I have two jackets in goat, a Wested LC and a US Wings Signature Series. The Wested is much more authentic to the film, but a bit costumey in construction. The US Wings is built like a working jacket, but fits very differently than the film jackets; too long in the body and roomy in the chest and arms. Neither of them are taking any real distressing, either forced or natural. Seems like the lining will fall apart long before the leather will show any real patina.

For that reason, if you want a jacket that looks like Indy's, don't get goat. IF you want a hard wearing, working jacket, get goat.
Do you have any pictures of the Wings goat? How old is it?
Thanks!