Hand Ejector 2 “Bapty” vs. other S&W’s

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

lostinperiphery
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Hand Ejector 2 “Bapty” vs. other S&W’s

Post by lostinperiphery »

I recently took some photos making a comparison between the Raiders S&W Hand Ejector II "Bapty", and a couple of other popular 'close enough' revolvers, and thought I’d share them here :)

A few things that may not be immediately apparent to those unfamiliar with these firearms: An uncut Hand Ejector 2 and a US Army m1917 are virtually identical other than some markings, and the manner in which the cylinder chambers are milled to fit differing ammunition. In fact, a HE2 can be modified to fire .45 ACP by shaving the back of the cylinder to make room for moon clips (the HE2 in these photos has been modified as such). The Model 10, on the other hand, is an entirely different firearm. While similarly proportioned to the “Bapty” Hand Ejector II, it is notably smaller in all dimensions, more so than it generally appears to be in photos. In the hand, I liken it to comparing an F-250 to a Ford Ranger. The Model 10 shown here has also been fitted with pre-war grips in place of the larger magna-style grips it originally wore (whose outline can still be seen in the corrosion, haha).

An honorable mention not shown here is a Brazilian contract m1917, produced by Smith and Wesson for the Brazilian Army in 1937. These are very similar to the US m1917’s, but with a matte parkerized finish, a Brazilian crest stamped on the right side of the frame, and a few other subtle differences. Because many of them were re-imported during the 1980’s, they can be found for a good bit cheaper than many alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hand Ejector 2 “Bapty” vs. other S&W’s

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Great pictures for reference and comparison. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Superb photos thanks very much for sharing.
The pre-victory model .38 carries many of the same shaped elements - such as the hammer, lanyard loop and grips - as its bigger brother S&W.
Although not as big as the .45 N frame, the vintage K-frame is still a peach..

jkingrph
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkingrph »

I was not thinking about Indy gear, but about a year ago I picked up a nice S&W Hand Ejector, cicra 1921 in 32-20, off Gunbroker. Thanks to possessing a C&R license UPS delivered to my hands. My goal had been to get a revolver to match up with my Marlin CL also in 32-20, and I succeeded nicely. The caliber is probably small for Indy spec, but it is an early K frame. I also have a K 22, K38, and then a M29, which is a large 44 Mag, but all of those have adjustable sights.
jkingrph
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkingrph »

lostinperiphery wrote:I recently took some photos making a comparison between the Raiders S&W Hand Ejector II "Bapty", and a couple of other popular 'close enough' revolvers, and thought I’d share them here :)

A few things that may not be immediately apparent to those unfamiliar with these firearms: An uncut Hand Ejector 2 and a US Army m1917 are virtually identical other than some markings, and the manner in which the cylinder chambers are milled to fit differing ammunition. In fact, a HE2 can be modified to fire .45 ACP by shaving the back of the cylinder to make room for moon clips (the HE2 in these photos has been modified as such). The Model 10, on the other hand, is an entirely different firearm. While similarly proportioned to the “Bapty” Hand Ejector II, it is notably smaller in all dimensions, more so than it generally appears to be in photos. In the hand, I liken it to comparing an F-250 to a Ford Ranger. The Model 10 shown here has also been fitted with pre-war grips in place of the larger magna-style grips it originally wore (whose outline can still be seen in the corrosion, haha).

An honorable mention not shown here is a Brazilian contract m1917, produced by Smith and Wesson for the Brazilian Army in 1937. These are very similar to the US m1917’s, but with a matte parkerized finish, a Brazilian crest stamped on the right side of the frame, and a few other subtle differences. Because many of them were re-imported during the 1980’s, they can be found for a good bit cheaper than many alternatives.

I think for authenticity the Hand Ejector or 5 screw model would be proper. If you notice in the pictures on top of frame just behind the cylinder, there is a screw which is not present on the M 10 the fifth screw is not shown is it is on bottom of frame in front of trigger guard. The later M10 has a little tab that pivots into the frame and does the job of the "fifth screw"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk