Peters Bros Michaelson Indy Borsalino

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Iron Chef
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Peters Bros Michaelson Indy Borsalino

Post by Iron Chef »

I was looking at the hat on recomendation from a friend. I was wondering if anyone has this hat and what they think about it.

http://www.petersbros.com/INDY_BORSALINO/index.html
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

I really love mine. It is the most Raiders hat I have ever had on my head.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Have to agree with MK on this one.......I love both my PBBMs. For me, this hat covers all the bases.
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

I got mine about a month ago and love it. The quality of the felt is superior and the hat is identical to the PB Custom as far as block and shape (Jimmy uses the same block and shaping on both). The PB custom is a darker brown and the felt is too hard for my taste. The Borsalino is lighter and will form to your head better for a comfortable fit. It's definately worth the extra hundred bucks. I had Jimmy shape mine ToD style and he also replaced the band with a skinnier one to make it match the hat in ToD.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

What are the main differences between the Michaelson and the Custom? Does the name suggest then that the Michaelson is not custom if that makes sense?

Ken
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

Correct! It is an off the shelf Borsalino that is restyled to the Indy look. I was told by Fedora that it is fuzzier than the Akubra Fed. I like my Fed. Deluxe but I find that really fuzzy. I wouldn't want anything that's more than that. I like the clean smoothness of felts for hats.

Just passing on some info that helped me make a decision concerning the PBBM. Maybe the felt has changed since then?

AC
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

I have both a Borsalino Michaelson and a PB Custom and really both are terrific hats for different things.

The Borsalino is a soft, lightweight floppy and wonderful vintage style hat that looks great and is not so fuzzy as you'd notice. It is expensive and worth it, but I don't wear it if I think things are going to get to rough

The PB Custom is a tough, stiff till you break it in, beautifully shapes, shape-retaining monster. I wear this one more and I do not fear doing so because it does verge on bulletproof. A little puff of Rain and Stain and I am good to go. It is also the best fitting hat I own

I'll try to put pix up soon.

My .02

Ken
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I am happy so many like the PBBMs. I have seen one, and I was not impressed with the felt. Looked like the modern Borsalinos to me. But, to each his own, and thank goodness, most folks are not as picky as me. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Being bias, I'll just keep my thoughts to myself. 8) I'm wearing mine today (ironically), and needless to say, I'm a bit fond of it..... :wink: Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hey, when do I get a hat named after ME? :evil:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Hey, when do I get a hat named after ME?
PB Custom Binkmeister?
Sounds better than PB Borsalino Binkmeister...
I'd buy one right away! :lol:

/SJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Then people could say they have the heebie jeebies for the PBCB! :lol:

Okay. maybe only I found that funny. :roll:

Actually, since I keep finding vintage lids cheap at thrift stores and antique stores, the PBCB could be classy, well made, and cheaply priced!
Iron Chef
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Iron Chef »

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I guess its just up to me whether i want a hat with hard felt or soft. It sounds like the shape is the same on both. Now I just have to save up a few more bucks so I can join the fedora club.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, just to sling in a ringer....you can also ask for less stiffiner to be put on a custom, so it's a lot softer than the standard . Either way, they're both fine choices. I own one of each, and am quite pleased with them both. Regards. Michaelson
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

Glad to see ya here Iron Chef. As I said the Peter Bros is my choise for a quality lid that does not cost an arm and a leg. After all Kev chose the PB _ after seeing mine but we can talk about that on Sun.

Cheers,
Jeff
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

I have a dark grey one that I would be willing to part with. It is a 7 3/8.

Don't ask about the brown......it is a keeper. 8)
parsa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by parsa »

Iron Chef,

You wouldn't be a geocacher would you?

Parsa
Iron Chef
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Iron Chef »

Well I think its gonna be a PB custom brown for me. Im hard on my gear and Ill need a tough hat for when I have to fight off the ladies when I wear it. Its hard to find a guy wearing a real hat these days. Im definatly going for the raiders look as that is my favorite of the 3. Thanks for all the feed back. I think the hat is the hardest part. Seems like the jacket, shoes and mkVII are easier to decide on.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Don't tell the JACKET guys that! There may be a lynching later! :shock: :wink: Good choice, by the way. I still recommend you tell them to keep the stiffiner down so it isn't to hard. They soften up with wear, but why go through all that. Be sure to call them too. They LOVE to talk to customers and get the order details directly from a new customer. Regards. Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

mkVII
Easy to decide on? Yes. Discussion about it over with? No! :wink:

Let us know how it all goes with your gear collecting, welcome.

Regards,
Swindy
Iron Chef
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Iron Chef »

Thanks. Umm the jacket looks to be harder than i thought. Yeah. Its tough. Im gonna spend alot of time in that forum.
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

Iron Chef wrote:....mkVII are easier to decide on.
Swindiana beat me to it. The MKVII is probably the piece of gear I've pondered over the most. Between the perfect buckle (which I've given up on finding), the strap, and the black stripe(which I've grown to love), there's just so much to get right. Ah, but I guess we bag men are a rather small bunch. :D
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Trevelyan wrote: Between the perfect buckle (which I've given up on finding)
You have one of the best ToD looks I have ever seen and this is a great buckle if you want to make your own black strap for your Mk VII:

http://www.ozsaddle.com/detail.php?grp=21&code=BKL100H1

I got mine from whipwarrior's contest and it's very nice and very ToD in my opinion.

Check it out:
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7992
Ah, but I guess we bag men are a rather small bunch.
Add the word obsessive and the line would be complete. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

I have one in the grey color and i wouldn't give you 2 cents for it. Lousy modern felt. I could have bought 3 Akubra's or just a little more another Optimo.The old Borsalino's were much better than the modern ones.
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

The color does not hold and when you brush it the fur comes off. The felt is so cheap it cracks where you crease it Nothing about the hat supports its price point. I've seen the same hat on Ebay several times and nary a bid.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I saw and handled a new Borsalino when Minnesota drove through town earlier this week and thought the felt was superb! What didn't you like about yours? But if you weren't happy with it, fair is fair. All that matters is that YOU like the hat you want on your head! Shoot, Minnesota's fur felt Dorfman wasn't even all that bad for what it is! :wink:

EDIT: You posted before I hit the send button! :wink:
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

The vintage Borsalinos Felt is fine. Its there new stuff thats not up to par.