Todds Boots / Knee Pain

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Todds Boots / Knee Pain

Post by mr_alex »

Hey gang,

I have a pair of Todd's Costumes Adventure Boots, but when I wear them my knees start to hurt for some reason. Does anyone have any idea what this could be from? And if so, if it fixable?

I've never experienced this with any other shoe or boot, so I was thinking perhaps I just need to move on to a boot from another maker. On the other hand, if this is something I could fix by re-soling, for example, I wouldn't mind saving a couple hundred bucks by NOT buying a pair of Alden's.

If anyone else has experience with this, or advice, please let me know!

THANKS!
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Todds Boots / Knee Pain

Post by donovan »

I too had a pair of Todds boots and suffered the same problem . I think the problem lies in the fact they are just 'costume' boots and not intended for everyday wear. Mine had no cushion or support in the soles and the heels wore down very quickly. I gave up on them and saved for a pair of Aldens.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I have always thought that the boots are kind of stiff...a little too stiff. And the sole is hard.
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

My wife gave me a pair of Alden 403s for Christmas two years ago. I wear them all the time. Most comfortable boots I own. Put them on your wish list or bite the bullet and buy you a pair. You won't regret it.

Carolina
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Im pretty sure the Todds have a steel stiffener piece in the sole to mimic the Aldens version ... At least on the ones i had and unfortunately it was the reason they failed really quickly on mine..the sole basically split across the centre. Now im not sure if they ever changed it ever but possible thats the reason they feel so stiff and im not sure they are removable... its also probably the reason for the knee pain as basically it stops the foot achieving its natural form when walking ...
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

I have a pair of Todd's, and if I am doing a photo shoot I will wear them, but for conventions or anything else, I avoid them. I find them to be the heaviest shoes/boots I own, and they are not comfortable after three or four hours. I also think that while they are a faithful visual reproduction, the weight and lack of grip on the sole create their own problems. For what they cost and how they look, they are great. But not as something to wear everyday, or even for a long day.