The Second Tank Jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

The Second Tank Jacket...

Post by Stefan Hills »

In honor of our favorite fictional archeologist’s birthday, I thought it was appropriate share a little something I have been working on for a while and that is...

Something that really stood out to me was when Indy was fighting General Vorgel on the tank, he seems to have had time to change his tan web belt to brown like in Raider’s and Temple. This made me think, if he had time to change his jacket too.
It been well established that Temple jackets were used for stunt work on Last Crusade. But it appears both Vic and Harrison wore a Hero jacket during the filming of this sequence. Below is Vic and Jordi, in screen used Temple Jackets. Note the brown web belts which was part of the costume for Raider’s and Temple.
And sure enough, there was a second “Tank Jacket” as worn by Vic Armstrong in the Last Crusade.
And the one at the Smithsonian...
Makes me think of the line...”Small world Dr Jones, too small for two of us.” At least now, both jackets are in two museums.
Last edited by Stefan Hills on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The Second Tank Jacket...

Post by CM »

That's interesting too. I didn't know about the Temple jackets being used. Did any of them make it back to the Archives after all that destructive stunt work?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Dear friend, thank you so much for sharing!!!
You are a true detective in Indy jackets! :clap: :clap:
Best regards.- :TOH:
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Lovely work!

Just as an aside ... thats not Harrison Ford and Vic Armstrong in the photo above. Its Vic Armstrong and the Spanish Stuntman (who’s name ive completely forgotten) but its in the book so can check be checked.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

CM wrote:That's interesting too. I didn't know about the Temple jackets being used. Did any of them make it back to the Archives after all that destructive stunt work?
The short answer is yes. There are survivors in the archives. The best example of a TOD jacket being used in LC is the Anthony Powell jacket which was given to Noel Howard seen in the post being held by Peter.
The same jacket worn by stunt men Jordi Casares.
These jackets were reused and even still have labels with word “Doubles” written over the original Berman’s label for Harrison.
Last edited by Stefan Hills on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Indiego Jones wrote:Dear friend, thank you so much for sharing!!!
You are a true detective in Indy jackets! :clap: :clap:
Best regards.- :TOH:
Many thanks sir!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Still chuffed I had the chance to try on that TOD/LC stunt jacket when it was owned by Noel Howerd at MBA costumes!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Stefan Hills wrote:
CM wrote:That's interesting too. I didn't know about the Temple jackets being used. Did any of them make it back to the Archives after all that destructive stunt work?
The short answer is yes. There are survivors in the archives. The best example of a TOD jacket being used in LC is the Anthony Powell jacket which was given to Noel Howard seen in the post being held by Peter.
The same jacket worn by stunt men Jordi Casares.
These jackets were reused and even still have labels with word “Doubles” written over the original Berman’s label for Harrison.
I remember that jacket well and have a version of it. Wow.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Harrison and Vic wearing the same Hero jacket...the same jacket in the Smithsonian.
Steven wearing the Second Tank jacket worn by Vic as well.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Cool. I always wondered if Steven had his own version or if he just got cold and put on a costume jacket.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

The leather looks really thick and substantial, don't know which maker has same kind of leather.....
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hammerklavier wrote:The leather looks really thick and substantial, don't know which maker has same kind of leather.....
Well, from the recent threads here its clear the leather was around 0.08mm - not thick at all and it seems our friends at Steel and Jones are sourcing something close. It really always amazes me how substantial the LC jacket looks - the tanning process gave that sheepskin a real deceptive look to it. I have yet to see a hide that looks like it has the same stiffness as the movie version which has minimal drape and doesn't seem to wrinkle much.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Bill Kelso have the correct leather, it's a slightly stiff lambskin, that breaks in quickly and gives that look that you see in the movie.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

xmasters wrote:Bill Kelso have the correct leather, it's a slightly stiff lambskin, that breaks in quickly and gives that look that you see in the movie.
Do you have one or any picture of actual jacket? Thanks
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I posted a picture in the BK thread or you can see pictures of the undistressed jacket on the BK website.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

xmasters wrote:I posted a picture in the BK thread or you can see pictures of the undistressed jacket on the BK website.
You mean relic hunter? I want to see BK's LC jacket.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Hammerklavier wrote:The leather looks really thick and substantial, don't know which maker has same kind of leather.....
At S&J we have the most accurate LC leather.

In Indy's words:
Elsa: Are you sure?
Indy: Pretty sure

We've the privilege of studying the Smithsonian jacket in person
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?p=907952#p907952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This "Second tank jacket" was made with the same leather batch as the one in he Smithsonian vault.

Best regards.-
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Hammerklavier wrote:
xmasters wrote:I posted a picture in the BK thread or you can see pictures of the undistressed jacket on the BK website.
You mean relic hunter? I want to see BK's LC jacket.
Yes I posted it in there, as I said.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Fantastic research - well done! :tup: :tup: I always liked Vic Armstrong as Ford's double & thank you for sharing the pics!