Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

US Wings Indy jacket back length

Post by Hammerklavier »

Hello

Is there any USW Indy jacket that they are offering now has back length around 25? (Size M or L)

Thanks
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: US Wings Indy jacket back length

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Best thing to do is ask USW directly.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Best thing to do is ask USW directly.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thank you.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Nah, all their current jackets are on the long side. It bums me out because USW always fit me really well; the Legend pattern fit well and the Signature fit *really* well. Though I understand the reasoning behind it, IMO the Adventurer is too long for the style.

One of the things I've always wondered is whether anyone successfully shortened a jacket? Normally I'd think it was signing a death warrant for a leather jacket to try to get it shortened, but the USW cape buffalo has the pockets situated so high that it seems like one could get a *skilled* tailor to shorten the jacket 1-1.5" and it would look great. And at the same time with some crafty leather work make the wind flap into a decent LC style -- I don't like the ROTLA/LC blend wind flap that the current pattern seems to use.
simndermot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simndermot »

I don't think so. I live about 30 minutes from the US Wings store and I was in there about three weeks ago trying on their jackets. The jackets seem really well made and the cape buffalo one is so nice that I ended up buying one. I knew it was longer and not screen accurate, but I thought I'd see how it fit with my other gear on. In my opinion, that jacket doesn't work well with the gear; it's just too long. I'm not militant about screen accuracy, but I just didn't like the look of it, so I returned it.

That being said, I think if you are looking for an Indy jacket that works well with untucked shirts or modern "waisted" pants and don't care about screen accuracy, US Wings is the way to go.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Here is vintage cow adventure jacket I got from somebody, the jacket is really too long and baggy, and I am 6 ft tall.https://imgur.com/a/up8trzt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's for sale now.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

simndermot wrote:I don't think so. I live about 30 minutes from the US Wings store and I was in there about three weeks ago trying on their jackets. The jackets seem really well made and the cape buffalo one is so nice that I ended up buying one. I knew it was longer and not screen accurate, but I thought I'd see how it fit with my other gear on. In my opinion, that jacket doesn't work well with the gear; it's just too long. I'm not militant about screen accuracy, but I just didn't like the look of it, so I returned it.

That being said, I think if you are looking for an Indy jacket that works well with untucked shirts or modern "waisted" pants and don't care about screen accuracy, US Wings is the way to go.
That's my thought as well. They're just too long. I understand making a jacket longer than screen accurate for normal wear, just look at Wested's OTR selection, but I think they added too much. There has to be a happy middle ground somewhere.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Hammerklavier wrote:Here is vintage cow adventure jacket I got from somebody, the jacket is really too long and baggy, and I am 6 ft tall.https://imgur.com/a/up8trzt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's for sale now.
That looks quite short compared to my US wings, which has a whole 2" of length below the base of the pockets.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

xmasters wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:Here is vintage cow adventure jacket I got from somebody, the jacket is really too long and baggy, and I am 6 ft tall.https://imgur.com/a/up8trzt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's for sale now.
That looks quite short compared to my US wings, which has a whole 2" of length below the base of the pockets.
The back length exclude collar is 26.7 inches.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Does anyone know WHY US Wings started making their Indy jackets longer? :-k

Back in 2013, when I first started learning about the jackets here, COW members helped me decide on the then-current US Wings 30th anniversary lambskin Legend.

I gathered at the time that the Legend pattern was reasonably screen accurate and fit well. I love mine, wear it often, and never felt like it was too short. Are all US Wings Indy jackets now noticeably longer than they used to be?

Hmm. Just took a look at their website, and the basic goatskin jacket doesn't look longer, while the more expensive Cape buffalo jacket looks MUCH longer.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

From what I've read, Wings sells most of these jackets to non Indy fans and I guess they are more marketable if they fit longer and fulle,r given the larger size of the average man today.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I have the basic goatskin jacket, size large. Backlenth is 27" not including the collar stand.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

xmasters wrote:I have the basic goatskin jacket, size large. Backlenth is 27" not including the collar stand.
Is it signature series or imported one?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Imported.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

I am guessing most USW customer are over 55 years old or even older, they tent to like longer and generous than short and snug.
Last edited by Hammerklavier on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No we don’t! :shock: ;)

I raised Cane with them when they stopped using the Legend pattern. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

xmasters wrote:

It's for sale now.
Exactly. I purchased a new one last summer. I wore mine one time but it's so long and looks ridiculous with the pockets being so far up above the bottom that I decided to shelve it. It's very disappointing to because I have long arms and it fit in the arms perfect.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Michaelson wrote:No we don’t! :shock: ;)

I raised Cane with them when they stopped using the Legend pattern. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Did they ever say why they ditched the Legend pattern? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They never said. :-k

Regards! M
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

I hope someone convince USW to bring their legend pattern back, and stop offering Indy style coat.......
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Problem is (if they’d consider it a problem), the Cape buffalo and new patterns seem to be a hotter seller for them than the Legend pattern. We’re not the ONLY ones who buy their products....and with this very jacket now in play on the actor’s in the WDW Indy stunt show, it has even more folks wanting THAT jacket.

Regards! M
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Michaelson wrote:Problem is (if they’d consider it a problem), the Cape buffalo and new patterns seem to be a hotter seller for them than the Legend pattern. We’re not the ONLY ones who buy their products....and with this very jacket now in play on the actor’s in the WDW Indy stunt show, it has even more folks wanting THAT jacket.

Regards! M
you are absolutely right about this.....
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That said, my Cape buffalo is my go/to winter coat, but like you, I loved the Legend pattern. Fit me like it was tailored for me.

Edgy! M
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Michaelson wrote:That said, my Cape buffalo is my go/to winter coat, but like you, I loved the Legend pattern. Fit me like it was tailored for me.

Edgy! M
Michaelson: I'm grateful you guided me to the 30th anniversary lambskin Legend back in 2013. It's my one and only Indy jacket, I wear it all the time, and tip the fedora to you every time I slip it on. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I appreciate that, my friend. :TOH:

That said, I’m giving serious thought to putting my ‘roo Legend pattern USWINGS jacket size large up for sale this week in order to finance another project. :-k

We now return you to the topic at hand.... ;)

Regards! M :M:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Howard Weinstein wrote:Does anyone know WHY US Wings started making their Indy jackets longer? :-k
When I was in their store this time last year and met Sarge, he said he had 2" added to all of the jackets. Why?
He said he liked them longer.

I really miss their VIP Indy. My Large Long fit me awesome because of my long arms.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Kokopelli wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:Does anyone know WHY US Wings started making their Indy jackets longer? :-k
When I was in their store this time last year and met Sarge, he said he had 2" added to all of the jackets. Why?
He said he liked them longer.

I really miss their VIP Indy. My Large Long fit me awesome because of my long arms.
That's kind of a shame about making all the US Wings Indy jackets longer, since now they're no longer close to accurate in how they look.

I could see adding a longer style to the lineup alongside the accurately-patterned ones. But changing all of them? Unless they weren't selling their shorter styles or had received lots of complaints about them, either of which could be the case. :-k
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, I understand going longer for a more general appeal, but what I don't understand is going *that long.* It just doesn't look good and I really do wonder how much they mocked it up before going into full production. Like Wested's standard OTR lengths are longer than SA but they're within the range of looking appropriate. USW should have cut the added length in half.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I haven't looked at the US Wings offerings for a long time. The cape buffalo jackets are really long. :shock:

Sarge has always said the longer models sell better to the average customer, same reason the classic Signature Series jackets were cut much roomier, but the proportions on these for an Indy jacket are off. Almost like they tried to make a car coat with the Indy pattern.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Correct length or not, the Cape Buffalo jacket is now the current version used by the Indiana Jones Stunt Show at WDW. Disney placed and received a large order of those jackets for use in the show right before the pandemic hit, and people have reported seeing them on the actor during programs.

Like 'em or not, they're now an official part of the hobby and franchise. ;)

Regards! Michaelson