Wested LC Hero jacket!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Wested LC Hero jacket!

Post by Michaelson »

MarCuseus wrote:
Michaelson wrote:I do recall that one of the requirements by Spielberg to Peter Botwright was the jacket pockets HAD to be sized for the journal to fit, so it was a pre-determined design that was built into that particular jacket pattern, but specifically the LC jacket only.

Regards! Michaelson
Even bigger reason to ask: why doesn't it?? :-k
Why? Because folks complained about the size of the pockets when he reproduced the LC jacket, and he was all about selling jackets, so he reduced the size to meet demand.

Regards! M
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I'm interested in pulling the trigger for a LC hero, but just got a few thoughts before purchasing one.

The raiders hero is snugger than the standard one and does have a longer shoulder droop with a back hang resulting to a longer looking back length. It also has narrower sleeves.

How does the LC Hero fit differ?
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Received today, dark brown novapelle, everything satisfied me except the leather is on the thin side, size 42 only weights 3.7 lbs, I have asked them to use heaviest leather to make my jacket.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The leather looks thick and stiff from that picture.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The fit looks good. The newer novapelle seems like it might not be as thick as older batches. My novapelle LC from 2018 has pretty good weight to it but I don't think it's as heavy as novapelle from 10 years ago. But I also think the newer novapelle seems denser, if that makes sense. I had a copper novapelle years ago that I swear was more spongey. Maybe it's the tannery.

But the jacket looks good. Novapelle is usually the way to go with an LC.
Draxel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Draxel »

Looks like it fits you much better than I. Congratulations. Nothing better than a nice fittings leather jacket. It will o my get better with time.

I ended up purchasing a Raiders Hero. I’m very happy with the fit. It does not fit like the movie; which is fine by me. I’m very happy with the sizing and fit.

If anyone is interested in purchasing my LC Hero, DM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

xmasters wrote:The leather looks thick and stiff from that picture.
The leather is soft like lambskin which didn't surprise me, I only wish it is thicker.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Illinois_Jones wrote:The fit looks good. The newer novapelle seems like it might not be as thick as older batches. My novapelle LC from 2018 has pretty good weight to it but I don't think it's as heavy as novapelle from 10 years ago. But I also think the newer novapelle seems denser, if that makes sense. I had a copper novapelle years ago that I swear was more spongey. Maybe it's the tannery.

But the jacket looks good. Novapelle is usually the way to go with an LC.
Thanks, my first choice was copper novapelle but they don't have it now.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Draxel wrote:Looks like it fits you much better than I. Congratulations. Nothing better than a nice fittings leather jacket. It will o my get better with time.

I ended up purchasing a Raiders Hero. I’m very happy with the fit. It does not fit like the movie; which is fine by me. I’m very happy with the sizing and fit.

If anyone is interested in purchasing my LC Hero, DM me.

Thanks, what size and skin of your LC hero?
Draxel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Draxel »

It’s dark novapelle. 44 chest, 26.5 sleeve. Pics are further back in thread. I’m 6’ 210lb.

Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Draxel wrote:It’s dark novapelle. 44 chest, 26.5 sleeve. Pics are further back in thread. I’m 6’ 210lb.

Too big, you must have long arm.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Draxel wrote:It’s dark novapelle. 44 chest, 26.5 sleeve. Pics are further back in thread. I’m 6’ 210lb.

What do you think the dark novapelle skin you got?
Draxel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Draxel »

I do. That’s an easy part to have altered, however. Probably the only part I would ever have altered.

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Draxel wrote:
Glad you got got one that fits. Which leather is it? (feel free to post a pic )
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hammerklavier wrote:Image
Received today, dark brown novapelle, everything satisfied me except the leather is on the thin side, size 42 only weights 3.7 lbs, I have asked them to use heaviest leather to make my jacket.
It's fine but my main issue with that pattern (if I'm seeing this right) is the pocket flaps should probably be wider than the pocket it's covering, like the photos I have seen of originals. In the screen used versions I have seen, the flap doesn't sit flush with the pocket. - it overhands a little on the sides. It's a small detail. 3.7 pounds is about right for a jacket of that size made of 2.2oz leather.
Draxel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Draxel »

xmasters wrote:
Draxel wrote:
Glad you got got one that fits. Which leather is it? (feel free to post a pic )
Thanks. Went with the Dark Novapelle again. Maybe I’ll try and post pics later.

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Great thanks. I'm wanting to see a Raiders Hero in Dark Novapelle. I've often considered it.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Here is mine, dark novapelle, wested said it is the heaviest leather that they currently offer.
https://imgur.com/a/BPzEDaE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Do these Wested hero LC have the flying squirrel effect ?
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Heyjude7 wrote:Do these Wested hero LC have the flying squirrel effect ?
Yes, doesn't bother me though.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Any pics ?
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Heyjude7 wrote:Any pics ?
https://imgur.com/a/39kgu1O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Hammerklavier wrote:
Heyjude7 wrote:Any pics ?
https://imgur.com/a/39kgu1O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice ! Sweet pjs.
That’s my biggest gripe with Wested is the squirrel effect. How does one get a jacket that doesn’t have this ?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Redesigning the arm hole and adding gussets. Wested's normal add-on gussets are not all that functional, however. I haven't really had a problem with a standard Raiders with gussets, but the LC does it no matter what and the LC Hero is the worst offender.

I once experimented and got Wested to send me a bunch of goatskin scraps years ago and took it to the best tailor I could find who also knew how to work with leather and he concocted some new gussets and did a few other things to an LC to address the problem. It worked for the most part but effectively doubled the cost of the jacket.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Redesigning the arm hole and adding gussets. Wested's normal add-on gussets are not all that functional, however. I haven't really had a problem with a standard Raiders with gussets, but the LC does it no matter what and the LC Hero is the worst offender.

I once experimented and got Wested to send me a bunch of goatskin scraps years ago and took it to the best tailor I could find who also knew how to work with leather and he concocted some new gussets and did a few other things to an LC to address the problem. It worked for the most part but effectively doubled the cost of the jacket.
Another question, is this a design flaw through all LC jackets across all jacket makers?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Heyjude7 wrote:
Illinois_Jones wrote:Redesigning the arm hole and adding gussets. Wested's normal add-on gussets are not all that functional, however. I haven't really had a problem with a standard Raiders with gussets, but the LC does it no matter what and the LC Hero is the worst offender.

Another question, is this a design flaw through all LC jackets across all jacket makers?

Jackets riding up is a common flaw from jacket makers of all kinds, totally unconnected to Indiana Jones. It usually means the pattern maker isn't a brilliant tailor and is just building something that looks ok, but doesn't move properly with the human form. You see it in bad suits and even some expensive designer clothing. Part of the problem is how the sleeve is set into the body. Gussets on their own may not help.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I have no idea how other makers' LC jackets are in that regard. It could be an inherent design flaw with the LC, especially considering my Relic Hunter doesn't seem to have the issue and the Wested Raiders jackets don't seem to do it so severely. I've always believed Wested sloped the shoulders on the LC too much, which sets the arm holes low, and that the look could be achieved in other ways. But like CM said, that requires more attention to detail and time in design and construction, which means money. And an OTR cheaper jacket could be modified to not have those issues -- I managed to do it on a whim -- but then it's a matter of money and time and will.

And it's hard to tell in the movie because he so rarely has it zipped, but I believe the actual film jacket would have done it some as well. Perhaps not as much as the replicas because the jacket was specifically tailored to Ford, but if you look at the hands raised scene in the castle and some of the other scenes where he raises his arms up, the jacket sides do flare out and move a lot with the arm.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Illinois_Jones wrote:I have no idea how other makers' LC jackets are in that regard. It could be an inherent design flaw with the LC, especially considering my Relic Hunter doesn't seem to have the issue and the Wested Raiders jackets don't seem to do it so severely. I've always believed Wested sloped the shoulders on the LC too much, which sets the arm holes low, and that the look could be achieved in other ways. But like CM said, that requires more attention to detail and time in design and construction, which means money. And an OTR cheaper jacket could be modified to not have those issues -- I managed to do it on a whim -- but then it's a matter of money and time and will.

And it's hard to tell in the movie because he so rarely has it zipped, but I believe the actual film jacket would have done it some as well. Perhaps not as much as the replicas because the jacket was specifically tailored to Ford, but if you look at the hands raised scene in the castle and some of the other scenes where he raises his arms up, the jacket sides do flare out and move a lot with the arm.
I wouldn't say the 'Wested' in LC was tailored to Ford, I'd say he had a fitting with key measurements established but this didn't make the jacket fit like a second skin. From the look of the fit in the movie it fits like most Westeds that are sized appropriately but it is still clunky. The Raiders jacket really fits badly and slid all over him. A poor pattern - as Tony Nowak noted - which became part of the look.

The Wested LC I had fit pretty badly although the ToD is not too bad. Maybe because the pattern, copied from Cooper, is better? The Gibson and Barnes Indy fit really well and doesn't ride up with my arms. Not because it is tailored for me but because it is constructed by people who know tailoring for movement, not just for looks. Making flight jackets for the military may well have honed their construction skills.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The Last crusade jacket is meant to have the squirrel effect (Raiders and ToD not). I could post screen shots, but tbh you should all know this in the first place.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I swear this place is like dealing with my wife sometimes -- you can never just have a point and be right, at least for yourself. I could say "The sky is blue" and get back a series of "Well, akshually..." replies. Now I remember why I stopped coming here years ago, to the point I forgot my login and had to create a new one.

Yes, the LC will inevitably squirrel and that is somewhat screen accurate. I had mine altered because that quality made it uncomfortable to drive in. Did the film jacket do that to Ford? Unlikely. Wested's LC seems to do it excessively, at least for me. Yes, the Raiders was a terrible fitting jacket, but its ridiculously oversized shoulders allowed for good movement. And I'm not going to debate the semantics or philosophy of tailoring or bespoke or couture. The fact is the actual jackets used in the movies were made for Ford. As goofy as they may fit compared to a regular jacket and as haphazardly constructed as they may be, they were purpose built for one of the biggest stars in Hollywood to do action scenes in the desert and jungle. And if there were a problem there was an entire costume dept on-hand to address it. We are left with replicas; sometimes they fit well and sometimes they don't. Thankfully we have tailors.

If you want to alter an LC to not squirrel on you, it can be done. If you want to alter a $10 jacket from Walmart to fit better, it can be done. Heck, I've had to have an Aero and a Himel that was made for me using a toile altered some. Because wearing a leather jacket that doesn't fit comfortably stinks. Do people actually think Ford would spend months filming in those conditions and hanging off a tank wearing a jacket he wasn't comfortable in? This isn't like slipping a disc in Sri Lanka or a Millennium Falcon door falling on you; you say the word and a whole costume department goes into motion to fix it.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Illinois_Jones wrote:I swear this place is like dealing with my wife sometimes -- you can never just have a point and be right, at least for yourself. I could say "The sky is blue" and get back a series of "Well, akshually..." replies. Now I remember why I stopped coming here years ago, to the point I forgot my login and had to create a new one.

Yes, the LC will inevitably squirrel and that is somewhat screen accurate. I had mine altered because that quality made it uncomfortable to drive in. Did the film jacket do that to Ford? Unlikely. Wested's LC seems to do it excessively, at least for me. Yes, the Raiders was a terrible fitting jacket, but its ridiculously oversized shoulders allowed for good movement. And I'm not going to debate the semantics or philosophy of tailoring or bespoke or couture. The fact is the actual jackets used in the movies were made for Ford. As goofy as they may fit compared to a regular jacket and as haphazardly constructed as they may be, they were purpose built for one of the biggest stars in Hollywood to do action scenes in the desert and jungle. And if there were a problem there was an entire costume dept on-hand to address it. We are left with replicas; sometimes they fit well and sometimes they don't. Thankfully we have tailors.

If you want to alter an LC to not squirrel on you, it can be done. If you want to alter a $10 jacket from Walmart to fit better, it can be done. Heck, I've had to have an Aero and a Himel that was made for me using a toile altered some. Because wearing a leather jacket that doesn't fit comfortably stinks. Do people actually think Ford would spend months filming in those conditions and hanging off a tank wearing a jacket he wasn't comfortable in? This isn't like slipping a disc in Sri Lanka or a Millennium Falcon door falling on you; you say the word and a whole costume department goes into motion to fix it.
Relax man - what on earth do you expect from a site dedicated to something as ludicrous as parsing the details of a movie jacket? I think you are giving the star system too much credit for fixing Wested's inherent and enduring pattern problem, myself. So let me be like your wife again and say the LC Ford wore fit him the same way my LC fit me. Not brilliantly. But to say they are uncomfortable is stretching it. You're assuming that Ford or anyone even noticed the flying squirrel effect and cared about it. We simply have different views on this. That's what a place like this is all about, surely.