US Wings US Made Striated Lamb Legend...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

US Wings US Made Striated Lamb Legend...

Post by IndyOriginal »

Shockingly, with the extra time I've had during the quarantine, I've gotten the Indy jacket itch again. Seeing as I already have 5 Indy jackets, which I all love for various reasons, I decided I'd pull some of them out and share, since I don't believe I've ever done so.

First up, as the title says, is the Schott made US Wings Legend in Striated Lamb. Honestly, I don't think that this jacket captures the look of the screen used Raiders jacket (which was really more of a leather windbreaker, in many ways), but I don't care - this is my baby. My daily driver. I've worn the heck out of this guy since it's eagerly anticipated arrival (forget the year - which year were the Legends released by US Wings again?), end even though it's super, super soft and thick lamb, it's held up admirably, with only a few little tears.

Anyway, just thought I'd pull this guy out of the closet and show you guys how it's broken in (no artificial distressing done at all) and held up over the years.

donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: US Wings US Made Striated Lamb Legend...

Post by donovan »

great looking jacket - big ole pockets on them us wing jackets !
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing when I was looking at these pics (pocket size). I wonder if they just took the measurements with the original cooper jacket and didn't adjust them for size (this is an M).

One thing is for sure - the grail diary would easily fit! :lol:
Max Chance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Max Chance »

Nice looking jacket. FYI, those jackets are on sale and listed as "discontinued."
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I believe I have the same jacket and yes it is a much thicker striated lamb.
Thing with US Wings is the sizing, a M was bigger, and a L I’d been swamped in.
So, got it soaked, threw it in the dryer, yes drier. When I took it out I could stand up.
But after lots of Pecards, it softened up.
It shrunk just enough to be a perfect fit. And it distress to, looks awesome actually.

But due to the weight, it’s my winter Indy.
I should take some shot of all my jackets.

Croft :mrgreen:
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Indiana Croft wrote: I should take some shot of all my jackets.

You definitely should! I remember there was quite the furor when these jackets originally came out, but I never see them pop up anymore, even though half of the appeal was that the particular type of lamb would age extremely well.

As I said, I definitely think there are better jackets out there now that capture the true SA Raiders look (like your Steele and Jones!), but I think the quality of materials/construction used in this jacket are absolutely top notch!
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

IndyOriginal wrote: The screen used Raiders jacket (which was really more of a leather windbreaker, in many ways),
You have perfectly summed up how I regard my Wested Raiders Hero. Layers fine over a t-shirt, and that's about it. My roomy US Wings Cape Buffalo is the perfect complement. Right now I'm at 2 jackets and holding... :roll:
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

That's a great looking jacket. Did you treat it with anything like Pecards or Obenaufs? I have a USW Striated Lamb in the Signature Series cut. The leather is awesome, very thick and ages nicely. Yours looks slightly darker than mine though. Just a little. I also have a USW Legend in Featherweight Lamb...now that is basically a windbreaker. Super, super light. The Signature Series is way roomier than the Legend. I'm 6'1, 195lbs, athletic build and usually a Large off the rack--had to go down to a Medium for Signature (L in Legend). There's still plenty of room, especially in the arms/chest area. USW still has them in their "discontinued" section (I don't recommend following their sizing advice though). Anyway, cool jacket. I'm already looking forward to autumn weather!
Cheers,
ijq8
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's a great looking jacket!

The Legend line is definitely my favorite of the US Wings Indy jackets. I had one in bison and still have one of the kangaroo hide jackets that came out later.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ok, I did some digging in my Indy file and found my original picture of the jacket brand new.
I didn't find the ones I wanted of the jacket fresh out of dryer, stiff as a board.

First: New.

And as of today.

Like I said the weight of this one is to heavy for summer use, but cold weather and a cardigan = perfect. And after the wash and dryer, it fit's and is roomy.

IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

ijq8 wrote:That's a great looking jacket. Did you treat it with anything like Pecards or Obenaufs?
I haven't done anything to it other than wear it. I'm not even sure that I've ever been caught in the rain with this guy.

Thanks for the compliments, guys, and Croft - that jacket has so much character! It almost looks like a cross between a Raiders and an LC, with the heft of the leather and all of the warm brown undertones coming out. Love it.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

It’s still my favorite jacket too. I washed mine when I got it which REALLY made the striations pop. It looks more like Nowak’s Dino-Hide now, which is fine with me.
Great post :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks indyoriginal, this one definitely has Character.

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Awesome couple of jackets guys! The years and weathering on them is just fantastic!

3 Sallahs! :clap: :clap: :clap: