Sweatband shrinkage amount average?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

fortysixandtwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Sweatband shrinkage amount average?

Post by fortysixandtwo »

I'm trying to figure out how much a sweatband typically shrinks after a certain amount of wear. The last two fedoras I've purchased have been factory 59 and I throw padding in the back to make them fit right. I'm pretty much a 58.5.
If I go custom route I'm wondering if I should go 59, or say 58.8, etc. How much shrinkage do you typically see in your sweatband for those who have had their fedora long enough..
Cheers!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Sweatband shrinkage amount average?

Post by Texan Scott »

getcha' a hat stretcher, here or from one of the vendors found on the Indygear site:
https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Heavy-Str ... 4382&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its easier to keep the size of a wet sweatband, after the hat is worn.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Custom hatters will build in a slight amount into the sweatband to account for shrinking over time. All of my hats fit a little large when I first get them, but over time shrink down and conform to my head for a perfect fit.

I measure at 23" = 58.4cm so I fall in the same boat of being between cm sizing. I order a 23" when I have ordered custom and have never had a problem.

That's the benefit of going with a custom hatter, you can have a conversation about your sizing needs and they can use their expertise to dial in the perfect hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

When I ordered my Akubra it was originally in a 57. When I received it it fit more like a 58.

I put padding in it but after a few years, I had to take the padding out. I started putting a hat stretcher in but after a few more years and the hat was so tight that even wyoming wind couldn't take it off. I eventually gave it away because it was giving me a headache.

That was my experience with a factory hat. So I'd have to say it shrunk at least 2 sizes over 10 years..... but I'd like to think a custom hat would last longer.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The type of sweatband (type of leather, way is is tanned, etc) used will affect the amount of shrinkage too.

The environment in which the hat is worn will have a huge impact. If you are in a cooler climate and don't sweat much in the hat, the sweatband won't shrink much, or at a much slower rate. The more often a sweatband is wet, either from sweat or rain, the more the leather can shrink when it dries.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
The environment in which the hat is worn will have a huge impact. If you are in a cooler climate and don't sweat much in the hat, the sweatband won't shrink much, or at a much slower rate. The more often a sweatband is wet, either from sweat or rain, the more the leather can shrink when it dries.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
So.... you're saying southeast Texas with 100F heat and 95% humidity with frequent rain might have been rough on it? :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Perhaps. :D

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

It's really impossible to generalize. But Akubra is the only brand I've worn that showed significant shrinkage. The leather they use in the Imperial grade hats is just not high quality.

Other than different leathers being used, some folks have a different ph in their sweat which may hasten drying out. And as others have mentioned, storage and locale can have an effect too.