Bill Kelso Relick Hunter sizing question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Bill Kelso Relick Hunter sizing question

Post by Caber »

Hey Guys. I am ordering a new BK in goat. I recently had a Relic Hunter in cow hide size 40

The size 40R RH has a pit to pit of 22.5" shoulders of 20" When I measured my Cow hide jacket before I sold it it was measuring pit to pit in the 19" to 20" More than likely Im just not good at measuring pit to pit because Mr. Andy said that a size 40 would not be that small in the pits.

The cow RH I had previously, fit perfectly except when I zipped up the jacket all the way. When it was fully zipped it felt like it was going to rip the sleeves from the body right under the armpits. I still had plenty of room to put a light hoody on underneath of it. It was also tight across the chest due to the pulling under the arm pits even though there was room in the chest.
My chest measures 40-41 inches. That means a size 40 should fit with a bit of extra room.

I'm fixin to order another BK RH in goat. and I am contemplating on getting a size 42 but am worried that it will be to large. Would anybody know if the described issue I had with my first jacket is a chest size issue ? or something completely different? and would you recommend going ahead and trying the size 40 again or stick to the 42?

Thanks
Caber 8)
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Bill Kelso Relick Hunter sizing question

Post by Charybdis »

I would get the best measurement you can of your actual chest size. You said that you measure a 40-41...if it is a 41, then your best bet is to order a 42 jacket. This is just me, but I would always choose a shirt or jacket if it's a bit big rather than a bit small....I hate tight snug clothing...
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Im with you! I don't want the jacket to be supper tight, but my last RH was a size 40 and it was very tight when I zipped it up all the way. I'm not sure if the jacket was to small in the chest or shoulders. according to my measurements a 40 should fit with some extra room in it. The 40 I previously owned was tight. Not sure if they made it wrong or not
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Get a proper chest measurement. If I was a 41" chest, I would lean more to order a size 42.
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

I have measured and remeasured multiple times. Depending on if I have recently worked out or not, my chest consistently measures just over 40" to right at 41" I'm really thinking abut going with the 42 like you suggested

Thanks
Caber 8)
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Yeah, sounds like you might want to consider the chest measurement a 41 on the safe side....
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

I think I will stick with a 42 then.

Thanks
caber 8)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

If your chest measures 40 or 41 you almost always need to order a jacket with a pit to pit of 23 inches or thereabouts. No jacket will fit you if it is the same size as your chest measurement. 23 is common for a size 42 but sometimes jacket makers size jackets differently and a 44 might have a pit to pit of 23 inches. In my experience a jacket will fit you best if it is around 4 inches more than your chest size - particularly a loose fit Indy style.

I have a chest of 41 inches, I wear a 42 Wested.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

My chest is 40-41”, and the size 40 RH was too tight in the armpits, so I sold it. Go with a 42.
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Tyrloch wrote:My chest is 40-41”, and the size 40 RH was too tight in the armpits, so I sold it. Go with a 42.
That's exactly what happen to my last RH that was a size 40. I wasn't sure if I miss measured or if a 40 R was just that tight on me

Thanks for the Info guys!
Cabe 8)
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Tyrloch wrote:My chest is 40-41”, and the size 40 RH was too tight in the armpits, so I sold it. Go with a 42.

Did the 42 fit or was it still a bit tight

Caber 8)