Fedora from Wested

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Fedora from Wested

Post by jgino »

I just noticed that Wested sells Indy fedoras, are they any good?
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Fedora from Wested

Post by KhanVader »

I’d bet they’re not great. Just sort of a fun novelty to grab if you’re in the shop and pick up a jacket. From the website they just look like cheap costume hats. And hey that’s enough for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Personally I would steer clear unless you are looking for a cheap costume hat.

They list the hat as "cotton felt"? I can't imagine it would hold up to any real wear and tear. And the overall look is only vaguely Indy in so much as it is brown.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

the brim dimensions resemble a short poet...seem a bit too narrow and the welted brim.....it would be nice to see a good Indy fedora made with more breathable material though. Brim about 2 3/4 x 2 5/8 or so, some would say 2 7/8 x 2 1/2, but therein is the ballpark.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Akubra had one 'back in the day' called an Adventurer that had those dimensions, and you could roll it up to put in a suit case for travel. It was a VERY dark brown, and the prototype I examined was nicely made.

It also had the correct 'front to rear' top bash and a thin, breathable rabbit felt.

Their current 'Adventurer' has the same 'feel', but it's definitely not the same hat as you can see in the link below, as once the Federation got it's legs, they changed a lot of their trial hat designs.

https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the- ... adventurer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

....HD made a Dorkman Specific......?? :shock:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

The looks of that hat in the picture reminds me of the Official Indy hat I had back in the early to mid 90s. Fun hat but it's just a hat. People might call you Indy just because they relate any brown fedora-ish hat to Indy (maybe not so much anymore)

As I've said many times when looking at a cheap hat. Just save a little bit more and get an Akubra Fed IV. For the price point, look, and durability. It can't be beat. But that's jmo. :TOH:
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

You're spot on there ... Go to a hatter. im guessing most people do the cheap option first then find COW and get it right! lol .. there are some great hat makers out there. At some point i'll upgrade to another.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Yep. Pretty much a waste of $55 unless all you want is something brown and “hat-like” to wear once or twice as part of a Halloween costume. For twice the amount you can get a standard Federation IV that you can actually use AND that actually looks the part.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It certainly is a good time to buy a Fed IV Deluxe, at that price:

https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the- ... open-crown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SkauneJohan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SkauneJohan »

For the same price you can get a hat from cotsworld country hats and that is a hat that actually looks good \:D/

https://www.cotswoldcountryhats.com/men ... 9369-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if you have any questions they answer email fast too, great to do buisness with :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

SkauneJohan wrote:For the same price you can get a hat from cotsworld country hats and that is a hat that actually looks good \:D/
That is until the first real downpour since buying, then all 100% wool hats start looking like rolling hills.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

Texan Scott wrote:It certainly is a good time to buy a Fed IV Deluxe, at that price:

https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the- ... open-crown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that lower than usual or are you talking about the exchange rate to US dollars?

Having a hard time getting felt info, sounds like the Fed IV Deluxe is 100% rabbit?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, jack rabbit.

Denser felt, and a much better finish.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Grendi, to get a Fed IV Deluxe $136.57 is a good deal, might take advantage of the good exchange rate.
SkauneJohan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SkauneJohan »

lantzn wrote:
SkauneJohan wrote:For the same price you can get a hat from cotsworld country hats and that is a hat that actually looks good \:D/
That is until the first real downpour since buying, then all 100% wool hats start looking like rolling hills.
Been wearing mine for quite a while now in a few rainstorms too and it still looks good, it is treated wool so :TOH: