Dying Ribbon

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Dying Ribbon

Post by ijq8 »

Was wondering if anyone has ever tried to dye ribbon w/out taking it apart? I have a Garrison that is about 7 years old and the ribbon has faded almost to the color of the hat itself. I doubt my skill to remake a new ribbon and was wondering if anyone has had experience removing a ribbon, dying it, and then putting it back on without undoing the flying "V", etc. Any suggestions/tips/advice would be most appreciated. Also, any danger of dye seeping into felt?
Thanks,
ijq8
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dying Ribbon

Post by Dalexs »

The problem with dying the original ribbon is possible shrinkage.

To effectively dye, meaning the dye doesn't wash out or fade again, you really need to do it in a simmering boil with salt.
Then of course, not knowing how the ribbon is actually constructed, getting it back on the hat.
(I'm not familiar with how Garrison did it.)

If you dig around here some, some folks have had luck just using a sharpie. But you're choices there are limited there.

Doing a new ribbon isn't that hard... in fact there's this guy I know that has an entire page dedicated to doing it... ;)

Dalexs

http://www.whitvani.net/dalexs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Dalexs wrote:The problem with dying the original ribbon is possible shrinkage.

To effectively dye, meaning the dye doesn't wash out or fade again, you really need to do it in a simmering boil with salt.
Then of course, not knowing how the ribbon is actually constructed, getting it back on the hat.
(I'm not familiar with how Garrison did it.)

If you dig around here some, some folks have had luck just using a sharpie. But you're choices there are limited there.

Doing a new ribbon isn't that hard... in fact there's this guy I know that has an entire page dedicated to doing it... ;)

Dalexs

http://www.whitvani.net/dalexs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's an excellent ribbon-change tutorial Dalexs put together. :TOH: I've followed his instructions a number of times, and it's not that hard to do. Probably less labor with better results than dying an old ribbon.

And there are now several sources for getting accurate-color Indy ribbon.
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

Much appreciated, and thanks for the tutorial link. I'll give it a shot. :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I wonder if you could do the same type of dyeing like they do with classic car upholstery? The secret for making the spray dye bond is the prep product. What are these ribbons made of?
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

He was getting the ribbon from Schiff, and that should be a rayon/cotton mix if I’m not mistaken.

In fact he had them custom dye the ribbon for his supply.

Dalexs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Dalexs wrote:He was getting the ribbon from Schiff, and that should be a rayon/cotton mix if I’m not mistaken.
In fact he had them custom dye the ribbon for his supply.
Dalexs
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe using the upholstery prep and dye in an airbrush would work then. Some auto paint supply stores will custom mix colors.