Streets of Cairo

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Streets of Cairo

Post by IJJTM »

I bought my first Indy hat last year which was a Penman Everyman and it scratched my itch for a while, but now the itch is back and I really want to get another hat that looks like how it did in the streets of Cairo. Do you guys have suggestions for who makes the best one? I'm currently looking at getting either a Herbert Johnson, Penman, or Advintage.
Cajunkraut

Re: Streets of Cairo

Post by Cajunkraut »

All solid choices, and don't discount Steele & Jones. They do a nice SOC as well.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

IJJTM wrote:I bought my first Indy hat last year which was a Penman Everyman and it scratched my itch for a while, but now the itch is back and I really want to get another hat that looks like how it did in the streets of Cairo. Do you guys have suggestions for who makes the best one? I'm currently looking at getting either a Herbert Johnson, Penman, or Advintage.
Depends partly on your budget. AdVintage may be the best bang for the buck -- https://www.replix.de/en/advintage-fedo ... 100x?c=233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any of these top-notch hatmakers should work with you so you get just the hat you want.
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

All good options! but take a look also at my facebook page "Tognarelli Vintage Fedoras" to see my work and my handmade Indy Fedoras! and don't forget the awesome one made by Roberto at Steele&Jones too!

Howard Weinstein wrote:
IJJTM wrote:I bought my first Indy hat last year which was a Penman Everyman and it scratched my itch for a while, but now the itch is back and I really want to get another hat that looks like how it did in the streets of Cairo. Do you guys have suggestions for who makes the best one? I'm currently looking at getting either a Herbert Johnson, Penman, or Advintage.
Depends partly on your budget. AdVintage may be the best bang for the buck -- https://www.replix.de/en/advintage-fedo ... 100x?c=233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any of these top-notch hatmakers should work with you so you get just the hat you want.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Streets of Cairo

Post by Mulceber »

My recommendation would be either Penman or S&J. The ones I’ve seen from them have been the best.

The real trick in making a SoC hat is the mushroom effect: in the film it’s actually rather subtle. Fedoraiders had a post a year or two ago where he showed that the reverse taper is only on one side. The other side is actually tapered! So you want to go for a maker that’s going to have only a little bit of reverse taper.

This hat by S&J absolutely nails the effect:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Money aside, who would you guys say makes the best?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Streets of Cairo

Post by Mulceber »

IJJTM wrote:Money aside, who would you guys say makes the best?
I wasn’t considering price in my opinion. ;) I think S&J and Penman are your best bets at any price.
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

This is one of mine
Attachments
DE02204C-E815-4D62-954B-653CC287B36E.jpeg
DE02204C-E815-4D62-954B-653CC287B36E.jpeg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

Roberto makes one of the best
Mulceber wrote:My recommendation would be either Penman or S&J. The ones I’ve seen from them have been the best.

The real trick in making a SoC hat is the mushroom effect: in the film it’s actually rather subtle. Fedoraiders had a post a year or two ago where he showed that the reverse taper is only on one side. The other side is actually tapered! So you want to go for a maker that’s going to have only a little bit of reverse taper.

This hat by S&J absolutely nails the effect:
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

My vote is Steele And Jones. Hands down.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

My vote would be S&J...
Brilliant fedora