USWings exclusive A2 military contract

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

USWings exclusive A2 military contract

Post by Michaelson »

USWings is now the exclusive military contractor to make A2 flight jackets for the US military now.

They will be available to the public for sale in the not too distant future, and announced an hour ago that they will be taking pre-orders.

Here's the link for anyone interested.

A LOT of us started out with military surplus A2's as our Indy jackets, as no one could source a copy back in the 80's and early 90's. It's nice to see an original mil-spec vendor A2 is back making these jackets again.

https://www.uswings.com/product/authent ... t-us-made/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: USWings exclusive A2 military contract

Post by davidd »

This is one of the most exciting news releases I have seen in a long time!

Five-hundred bucks... but wow! The return of the A-2 to military service with true military specifications!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

https://www.uswings.com/authentic-us-army-a-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I see that the first link up top has the page on the US Wings website where you can actually order the new Army jacket, but there is no place on there where you can request the russet color for the leather as seen in the small link at the bottom of the second link provided in that last post.

How would you order the russet colored leather?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd say you'd just send that link to David Hack and ask.

https://www.uswings.com/russet-brown-wwii-a-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it says in the link, "For more information please call us at 1-800-650-0659 or email us at : info@uswings.com

That particular jacket doesn't look like it's part of the military contract mentioned in the first link and blog, but a separate russet cowhide A2 offering by Wings. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

What seems sort of interesting is that the blog post about the russet colored A2 came out on Oct. 22nd and then on Nov. 19th, they put out the info about the new Army issue jacket.

I hope they still plan on offering it in the russet color. I would love to try to get one of those. I don't think I have around $1000 for a Bill Kelso!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

https://www.uswings.com/product/signatu ... er-jacket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

That's the one but unfortunately I can't spend that kind of money right now. So I went to ebay and I just bought a nice Cooper A2 used for less than $100.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Wow! History, once again, repeats, itself! Golden news for all who love 'original' items, which come back to the 'now' and 'the future' of our history! W>
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Charybdis wrote:I hope they still plan on offering it in the russet color. I would love to try to get one of those. I don't think I have around $1000 for a Bill Kelso!
Dubow MFG, which was started by a former Bill Kelso employee is currently selling A-2 repros that are MUCH more accurate than these new US Wings ones for around $492 (450 euros). That would be the way to go for someone not looking to spend Kelso prices.

https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Yes, decent 27798, if you’re looking for that particular vintage WWII contract in horsehide.

The USWings is not a reproduction of a vintage contract, but the current issue to the military. I think the point is you can get the same jacket that’s being issued now. It is the current contract being produced for the military. :TOH:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yes, I know it’s not a repro. Charybdis, however, said he was thinking about it because he can’t justify buying a BK repro, which suggests he is interested in a repro jacket. If that’s the case, then Dubow would be a better alternative. :toh:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Got it... missed that blurb.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Very nice jacket. Thanks for the link...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They’ve added an off contact A2 using the same specs to the mix for $295. Check the website.

Regards! M