Problems with sweatband

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana augustus
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Problems with sweatband

Post by Indiana augustus »

Hey guys, a few months ago I got a raiders style advintage Harrison. It’s a really nice hat and I really like it, however, a nasty crease devolved in it which makes at times extremely uncomfortable to wear, which is a shame because it used to be so comfortable I would forget that I was wearing it!

Anyways, is there anything I can do that’ll make it more comfortable again? I should note that the hat is just slightly too large for me, but that wasn’t a problem until recently. I would love any help any of you could give. Thanks
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Problems with sweatband

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Indiana augustus wrote:Hey guys, a few months ago I got a raiders style advintage Harrison. It’s a really nice hat and I really like it, however, a nasty crease devolved in it which makes at times extremely uncomfortable to wear, which is a shame because it used to be so comfortable I would forget that I was wearing it!

Anyways, is there anything I can do that’ll make it more comfortable again? I should note that the hat is just slightly too large for me, but that wasn’t a problem until recently. I would love any help any of you could give. Thanks
Depending on the location of the crease, you might try turning the leather sweatband out and seeing if you can align it on a surface (like the narrow end of an ironing board) to where you can gently iron the crease flat -- with a smooth cloth (like a heavy t-shirt) between the hot iron and the leather as protection against damaging the leather.

You might also contact Thomas at AdVintage and ask him for suggestions.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I am curious... When did you receive your hat? Do you know what caused the crease? Do you have images?
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Ironing is a brilliant idea. I can't speak for Augustus, but I know that's happened to at least one of my fedoras, a late 2000's Adventurebilt. I just assumed it got wet/moist and dried out funny, since it's an uneven bunch of creases, and not from stacking, since I don't stack my hats anyway.

Since I don't hear this mentioned too often, glad I'm not alone in this.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Ironing is a brilliant idea. I can't speak for Augustus, but I know that's happened to at least one of my fedoras, a late 2000's Adventurebilt. I just assumed it got wet/moist and dried out funny, since it's an uneven bunch of creases, and not from stacking, since I don't stack my hats anyway.

Since I don't hear this mentioned too often, glad I'm not alone in this.
I mentioned gently ironing the sweatband because I had the same problem and this helped. But I still think Augustus should contact Thomas at AdVintage for any tips. Nothing like asking the hatmaker himself.