US Wings Made in America?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

US Wings Made in America?

Post by Grendl »

Hey gang, do their non-signature series jackets have their "Made in the USA" tag? On their website, the non-signature jackets are photographed so you cannot tell.

I have a second-hand jacket coming that looks brand new and has the "Made in USA" flag tag sewn under their company tag, so I'm wondering if it might be a signature series or not.

Thanks in advance.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: US Wings Made in America?

Post by Michaelson »

The Signature Series and Legend pattern jackets are made by Schott in New Jersey.

It's hard to say WHAT you have coming, concerning the pattern....but either way, it was made by Schott.

You'll find the Signature series roomier than the Legend pattern. The Legend pattern is more 'form fitted', where the Signature Series covers a 'multitude of sins'. :[

Regards! Michaelson
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

Thanks, I can't wait. Do you think people would care to see comparison photos between an unknown US Wings jacket in goat and a new Wested OTR in goat, or are these areas too well traveled to be of interest?

I sprung for the USW because the collar on my Wested crowds the back of my neck, the "action pleats" look weird to me, and the pockets seem smaller and higher than is comfortable or useful. I'm hoping the designs will be different enough that I'll end up preferring one over the other.

I understand this is a prop based garment designed for a work of fiction, not real life, but I also know I'll stop wearing the jacket if the quirks bug me too much. When it takes two hands to pull one hand out of a hand-warmer pocket, there's a problem in my eyes.
Last edited by Grendl on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Your wested sounds a bit weird to me. What size did you buy and what's your normal sizing?
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

44. I wear a 44 and the jacket fits me well, just not at the back of my neck. With two fused vertebrae, it sits pretty far back on my torso, so it's not that unusual that jackets rub me there.

As for the pockets, I have a couple WWII M1941 jackets and they have the same "high pocket" issue, I think it's just the length of the jackets.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

If it's their Last Crusade jacket its handwarmer pockets can be awkward for some people. Myself included. The Raiders is much better in that respect.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

xmasters wrote:If it's their Last Crusade jacket its handwarmer pockets can be awkward for some people. Myself included. The Raiders is much better in that respect.
You NAILED it! I wanted the larger pouch pockets but didn't consider their impact on the hand-warmer pockets.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

So the USW LG goatskin jacket came and seems to fit like a signature series, loose. It also lacks the storm flap snaps depicted on their website for the non-signature version.

I thought about returning it or reselling it since it still had the hang tag and appeared totally unworn, but curiosity got the better of me and now I'm trying to break it in.

It is a much heavier goat skin than the Wested goat I got in November; I attribute that to vegetable tanning vs. the chrome used by Wested. And the construction does seem to be a bit more robust - less like a costume and more like a military jacket with nylon lining the body and sleeves. Definitely longer in the torso and arms than the OTR Wested LC, with more room in the chest and shoulders.

If I end up keeping it it will have to be a cool weather jacket since it's large enough to layer under and it's a heavier leather.

I'll post a photo comparison when they are equally broken in.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

Update: It is the Signature Series. I looked closer at the paper tag that was attached and it says, "IJG BRN L. " IJG is the SKU on the US Wings website for the Signature Series. Mystery solved.