Indy's spare ammunition...

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indy's spare ammunition...

Post by WetDigger »

Here is a fresh topic for discussion- Do you think Indy packs spare ammunition when he travels, or does he just rely on the bullets he has already loaded in his revolver to get by, with the intention of acquiring more as needed? How do you think his preferred method of carrying spare ammunition would be? Would he carry a box of 25 or 50 rounds in his suitcase, or just palm a few extras into his jacket pocket as he heads out the door? Depending on the pistol he is armed with, do you think he would have bothered with half or full moon clips? Each of the revolvers he carries in the films normally had a spare ammunition pouch in its regularly issued military accouterments, and he forgoes using these on his own gun belt. Maybe he just never intends to get into a gunfight necessitating him to fire more than six rounds?
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Indy's spare ammunition...

Post by temple_runner »

If I take into account modern ideas of carrying a pistol, I'd say he had at least a backup set of six rounds in his Mark VII. If he traveled, I'd say he would bring a box, at most. Like you said, he never really got into full-blown gun battles, so a box on a long trip would be enough.
WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WetDigger »

Good point, and if he was using half or full moon clips for a 1917, those wouldn't be too bulky or awkward to carry if he kept them in the Mk VII.

I kind of like to think he brings only what is in his revolver, that would explain the "Oops all empty!" scene in LC when he breaks open the empty webley as the plane is bearing down on him and Sr. That would jive with his "I make this up as I go" philosophy.

I imagine him passing through a British controlled port of entry somewhere and pick-pocketing a British officer in the local canteen for a few extra .455 rounds, or perhaps trading cigarettes for a box in the local bazaar. That being said, it might be a fun replication project to make a period correct box for either military issue or commercial pistol ammunition.
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Depending upon whether he's in the US or elsewhere in or near the British Empire:

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I always imagined that would be one of the things in his Mark VII bag. notebook, brush, a Browning .45, a box of ammo, flask of whiskey. hahaha.

I mean, for an ex-military man that has a perchance for getting himself into sticky situations, I'd think he'd at least carry a box of extra ammo on him. He gets into gunfights all the time.

I always felt the "out of ammo" scene in LC was because he had been on the run for so long he hadn't had time to reload/restock.
WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WetDigger »

Excellent pictures distantpeople. I think I'm going to try my hand at making a .Pdf printable version of the examples in the top photo. Something that can be printed onto card stock and folded/glued into shape.
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

:TOH:

Here's another one. Look forward to seeing yours!

Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Also, remember, Indy was a scout first as a kid. He seems like a guy who's pretty well prepared when he heads out, so I'd think he'd have some extra ammo with him.
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Couldn't resist a quick mock up... https://i.imgur.com/1hSJNE1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WetDigger »

Thats looking really good! I wont be home to access my machine for another couple weeks but I'll definitely do some toying around with making a couple printable .Pdf versions when I do. I think I may have made some WWII era .45 acp boxes a while back during my WWII reenacting days, I'll try to dig those out and see what I can do with those as well.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

No experienced gunslinger leaves the house armed without at least one reload readily available. Moon clips for the 1917 and spare magazines for the Hi-Power are the most practical and effective solutions (you can keep the Webley).

Semi-auto pistol operation pretty much mandates the spare mag due to the added potential for malfunctions. Google "handgun malfunction clearance drills" or similar.

Traveling with a suitcase? Mo' betta. Even more ammo and probably even a compact cleaning kit.

WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WetDigger »

Cajunkraut wrote:Traveling with a suitcase? Mo' betta. Even more ammo and probably even a compact cleaning kit.

Ahhhh the Golden era of travel... Shame those days are long gone. :lol:
WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WetDigger »

I am still toying with designs for a good cardboard ammunition box to keep my .455 rounds in. I came across this label on the internet and thought I'd share it with you all.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nice find!
MohaskaDan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by MohaskaDan »

I figure Indy would have a box of Army surplus .45 ACP preloaded half-moon clips. And maybe a few loose half-moons in his bag. Those Model 1917 revolvers were reissued during WWII.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

He sure didn’t have spare ammo in his S&W in the Raven Bar!
SkauneJohan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SkauneJohan »

auntsugar wrote:He sure didn’t have spare ammo in his S&W in the Raven Bar!
You sure about hat? It was a heavy fight where ammo was used fast, seemed more like he had no time for reload imho :-k

Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

He didn’t. He switched guns in mid fight to the Browning.

Regards! Michaelson
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Michaelson wrote:He didn’t. He switched guns in mid fight to the Browning.

Regards! Michaelson

Exactly ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup: