Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by senorjacob »

Who here has used Pecards Brown on their relic hunter? I’m thinking of applying it to my RH to see if I can take the color tone a little darker. Anyone use it and then wish they hadn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Also, Dr. J, I’m not sure if you’ve purchased already, but BK is having a 15% sale until the 5th that includes Indy jackets.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Thanks! I purchased last week but they were good enough to honor the discount. What amazing customer service!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Andy's good people. :TOH: I just took advantage of the discount to purchase an A-2 in russet for Christmas. If I'm lucky, it'll even arrive in time. ;) :P
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Awesome! Thanks again for the "heads up" regarding the sale. I placed an order for a Relic Hunter Hawaii version. I've always wanted this jacket and I'm glad I saved my pennies to get it. Now, the waiting begins...

Regards, Dr. J
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

My Holy Grail is still in production. But when it arrives it's highly likely I'll let my Relic Hunter go. Will advertise here of course.
pnh810
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by pnh810 »

I used the pecards brown on mine. And I do not regret it at all. IMO I think it looks great with the darker shade. It is a subtle difference. It also makes it feel softer on account of the conditioning. If you are concerned about doing it, this might help you make up your mind. After about 2-3 weeks of wearing the jacket after the pecards application the color went back to its original brown. It fades as it is used. it doesnt stain it permanently. Point in fact I'm due to reapply. Hope this helps
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

pnh810 wrote: It also makes it feel softer...
Is that even possible? :lol: The BK striated lamb is the softest leather I've ever seen.

Frederick might also have opinions on this topic. I know he used the tinted pecards on his, and was pleased with the result. Here's his before and after pics:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?p=905981#p905981
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Quick snap wearing the Grail jacket. https://imgur.com/JoXAKzt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favourite jacket.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Looks great. I was hoping to have had mine by now - I'm a few days short of six months since the order. I hope it's worth the wait.
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

xmasters wrote:Quick snap wearing the Grail jacket. https://imgur.com/JoXAKzt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favourite jacket.
Wow that's a great one. What kind of leather did you request? How long was the wait time?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Thanks guys. I ordered it with the default leather, Venice lamb I think it's called. Which is the screen accurate style leather. Comes brand new looking, but when you distress it, it has the brick coloured undertones of the movie jacket. I've made a start on mine, looks subtle in the picture because of the low indoor lighting, but with brighter light and outdoor light it shows up more. How long did it take to arrive, about the time that was quoted when I placed the order, approx 18 weeks or something like that.
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

xmasters wrote:Thanks guys. I ordered it with the default leather, Venice lamb I think it's called. Which is the screen accurate style leather. Comes brand new looking, but when you distress it, it has the brick coloured undertones of the movie jacket. I've made a start on mine, looks subtle in the picture because of the low indoor lighting, but with brighter light and outdoor light it shows up more. How long did it take to arrive, about the time that was quoted when I placed the order, approx 18 weeks or something like that.
The jacket looks great, congratulations!! could you upload photos with some more light so that color and details are appreciated? Thank you.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Thanks!! When I've finished all the distressiing, sure will do! It basicallly looks exactly like the movie jacket on screen. In every way.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Maybe I’ve missed it after digging through this thread, but what are the measurements on a 44R Relic Hunter? I’m considering ordering a BK in Goat after a bad experience with my Wested Washed Lamb Hero.

Basically, I’d like to know if I need a Regular or Long. I’m 6’2” and don’t want to get a long and it be too long and not be able to return it. I also don’t want to get a regular and it be too short, but then have to return and wait for a long to get.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Did you look at their sizing charts for chest and height? Tells you what you should order.

Generally speaking (and I mean generally for most jackets) a long size is usually only 1" more than a size Regular length.

I'd email them to ask.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Pretty sure for an extra fee you can get it custom made to your measurements. Might be the best way to go. Better to get it right instead of leaving it to chance, if you know you don't conform to a regular or tall size.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

I emailed them yesterday. I’m currently waiting for a response. I’ll go custom if I HAVE to, but I’d like to fit a OTR jacket and save the 55ish bucks for a custom sized one (based on current conversions). I’m sure a custom would be fine from them, but my custom clothing always feels too big in the chest, no matter who or where it’s from (tailored suits, sport coats, and my Wested).

Also, are there only a few members with the goat? I’ve only seen a couple. I want something that’ll be durable but still be kinda lighter in weight (my first jacket, a washed lamb from Wested, tore on a plastic hook). I’m looking for something that really scratches the Raiders itch, and this seems to be the correct route
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

My Grail jacket was OTR size 42R and I was contacted before it was made asking if I wanted to make any small alterations to the fit before hand, and they sent me the measurments of the jacket. I asked for the sleeves to be a half inch shorter. It was fine.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

So I emailed BK but have yet to receive anything back. Does anyone have recent experience with this?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Give it time. I presume you read the site FAQ.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

That said, it's absolutely worth sending a (polite) follow-up email if it's been more than a week and you haven't heard back.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Yeah I’ve read the FAQs and sent a follow up... I don’t know if there’s maybe something going on over there that they may be super preoccupied. The world keeps turning and hopefully I’ll hear form them soon. Until then I’ll just keep looking at pictures on here and trying to decide if the goatskin is what I want :)
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew off-hand the measurements for both a 42R and a 44R Relic Hunter?

And what is the general fit consensus for these jackets?

Thanks!
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Has ANYone heard from these guys lately? Yes, I've read the FAQs and yes, I know to be patient but I've reached out to them twice in two weeks and haven't heard back.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

According to their profile, they were on site on Wednesday. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Dr._J wrote:Has ANYone heard from these guys lately? Yes, I've read the FAQs and yes, I know to be patient but I've reached out to them twice in two weeks and haven't heard back.
I've sent them a couple emails asking for the measured specs on the Relic Hunter and an Aeronaut that caught my eye and I'm waiting for a response. I figure I need to be patient. The Greeks have a very, very relaxed style from what I've heard haha.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Michaelson wrote:According to their profile, they were on site on Wednesday. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Odd. Oh well, hopefully they reach out to me soon. Thanks.

Regards, Dr. J
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Could be there's a backlog of emails. The turnaround for ordering/recieving a jacket is 3-4 months average. Quality can't be rushed. :mrgreen:
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

marker2037 wrote:
Dr._J wrote:Has ANYone heard from these guys lately? Yes, I've read the FAQs and yes, I know to be patient but I've reached out to them twice in two weeks and haven't heard back.
I've sent them a couple emails asking for the measured specs on the Relic Hunter and an Aeronaut that caught my eye and I'm waiting for a response. I figure I need to be patient. The Greeks have a very, very relaxed style from what I've heard haha.
Just curious, have you heard back from them yet? I'm still waiting.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Dr._J wrote:
marker2037 wrote:
Just curious, have you heard back from them yet? I'm still waiting.
Hey Dr. J. I've been meaning to post here, but been too busy... YES! Andy replied to both of my emails (one was sizing for the RH and the other for an Aeronaut) a couple of days ago and I actually am proud to say that I placed an order!!! \:D/

I went for the RH "South America 1936" version in striated lambskin in a 42R and I am so STOKED to get it! ;)

If I were you, I might send them another email reminder because it sounds like you emailed them before I did. FYI, I used the website contact form AND I sent a separate email when I first reached out.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Thanks. Glad he reached out and excited for you to receive your jacket. I've reached out to them via website, email and this forum. Hopefully, I hear from them soon.

Best, Dr. J
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

I heard from Andy today. My jacket is being shipped early next week!
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Hopefully mine will be too. It's been 7 months ...
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

CRB wrote:Hopefully mine will be too. It's been 7 months ...
Yeah, I ordered on June 23rd. It's gonna be surreal and awesome when it gets here. I've been waiting for a jacket like this since I started with COW almost 20 years ago.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

So I’m a bit worried about ordering from BK, not because I’m afraid of the quality. I’m sure it’ll be absolutely FANTASTIC. What I am worried about, is the turn-around time. I’m not impatient, I what rather wait for quality than get a rushed and poorly made product. That said, I’m also not wanting to order something that may take seven months to get here. In seven months, I’ll be commissioned into the Army and don’t know where I’ll actually be. If the 4-8 week estimation on the site is closer to the current true wait, than I’d be more than happy to hop on the BK train.

I’m looking forward to y'all's opinions.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

That's a valid concern. Maybe contact BK and tell them your predicament. Perhaps they could push your order through the queue a bit.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Mine took seven months. Maybe mention your situation and they'll rush it through? Seems to me they're sympathetic to the cause. Thank you for your soon-to-be-service by the way! God Bless!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

My most recent order (placed in July of this year) took a little over 16 weeks.

Dr. J - has yours arrived? How is it?
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Haven't gotten it yet. Believe me you'se guys will be the second to know (after me of course). ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Dr. J, the BK Relic Hunter is pretty amazing. As someone who has been in this hobby a long time, you should be thrilled with it. Hope it is a good fit!
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Dr. J, the BK Relic Hunter is pretty amazing. As someone who has been in this hobby a long time, you should be thrilled with it. Hope it is a good fit!
Me too, buddy. Me too. I've been trying to lose weight for a while and this jacket is one of my motivators and rewards for losing 40 lbs!
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

What’s everyone’s consensus on the best version of the relic hunter? Dr. J, which did you order? I’m waiting on a response from Andy, but currently planning on placing an order.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

I ordered the Hawaii version because it's the jacket I REALLY admire in the movie. When he's about to enter the temple, I freeze-frame the video just to check out the details. I especially love the pointed collar and more pointed pocket flaps. I ordered it in Striated Lambskin and asked for very little striations in the leather. I also ordered cotton body with satin sleeves.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Hawaii jacket here. It was the first one they offered. I like the slightly exaggerated features of the collar and pocket flaps.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I like all the jackets, but the Cairo jacket for the smaller collar.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

I ordered the SA/Hawaii jacket as well, for all the same reasons that Dr. J states.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

After talking to Andy and seeing pictures/preferences from all of the RH owners, I pulled the trigger on a SA/Hawaii in goatskin! Andy was super helpful and told me that they’d be happy to try and get it to me before my commissioning.

I’m anxious to get it! I’ve been looking for a lightweight leather that’s also super tough. Despite the screen/historical accuracy, I opted against lambskin because of the issues I’ve had with it in the past. Does anyone here have the goat from BK and have pictures of it? The only ones I’ve found aren’t clear because of image hosting sites blurring them.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

A goatskin RH has been posted before in this thread, probably a good few pages back, but decent clear pictures should give you an idea.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Regardless of the leather chosen, I'm pretty sure the BK RH will come out amazing. Congrats on your purchase! I'm also very hopeful that they can keep the timeline they gave me [-o< [-o< [-o<