What headshape were the Indy hats? Getting new hat!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

What headshape were the Indy hats? Getting new hat!

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I know that the screen worn Raiders fedoras were long ovals, but does anyone know if the other film hats were all long ovals? I'm especially curious if the KotCS hats were long ovals, or regular ovals.

As a sidenote, I'm getting a new fedora, and I love how my KotCS Adventurebilts fit. My last few fedoras made didn't give me a choice of headshape, but this hatter is asking for the shape. I had, on a previous order, given him photos to determine my headshape, and on his recommendation, ordered a wide oval, but while I loved the hat, I always thought the fit was unusual. I felt like the hat squeezed my forehead and the back of my head, but was gappy on the sides.

I don't know if the recommendation was correct, or if I had sent wonky photos, because looking at this chart (random google image search), it doesn't look accurate:

I mean, the sides of my head measure longer than the width of my front/back, and I don't think I look like Stewie from Family Guy...

Any advice would be appreciated, but my main question in this thread is this- has Indy's hat always been a long oval?
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: What headshape were the Indy hats? Getting new hat!

Post by Indiana Jack! »

The person to ask is user: NoBadDates

She can tell you anything you need to know. She is the resident Herbert Johnson expert. I should know because she made my hat!

She is the tip top absolute best of the best! :TOH:

Here is a link to her profile: http://indygear.com/cow/memberlist.php? ... le&u=10013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

You may have already done this, but easiest way to determine head shape is to wrap a white towel around your forehead, and have someone take a photo from overhead.

When shopping motorcycle helmets, this always comes up, because different vendors make very specific shapes.
So as good as one helmet may be, it needs to fit properly for both comfort and functionality.

I've always considered myself a long oval in hats, but in helmets, it turns out I'm an intermediate oval... go figure...

Basically, don't shop for HFs head shape, shop for what fits you correctly.
(But you already knew that... :P )
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

What a great idea! I have never thought of doing that for a helmet much less a hat! Always learning something new! :TOH:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Thank you for all the great answers, everyone! This is why this is my #1 stop for all hat questions! ;)

M1B0, I'll try get in touch with her... which reminds me, I am in the market for a HJ! :)

Dalexs, that's a brilliant idea! Never thought to use a towel, would be great to remove my hair from the equation and get an accurate read! And yeah, while I do buy Ford sizes for my collection once in a blue moon, all my gear is Castor sized! I only ask about Ford's size since my ABs are my best fitting fedoras in my collection, and assuming Delk was using the same block shape in a bigger size for me, then wouldn't it stand to reason I'd be a long oval?

Granted, it might just be the block shape, in which case I will be reaching out to my hatter with pics using that towel idea! Thank you!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Glad to offer the advice. Obviously buying a helmet is a bit different, because while some of the same sizing comes into account,
its more important because its an entire head fit, and not just the top... And Manufacturers generally use 1 of 3 shapes for their shells
(with minor variations) which is why one must try on dozens to find the right one, and hope they don't change it next time you need to replace it.

This is generally what its based on
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Find a hatter that has a conformateur?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

rick5150 wrote:Find a hatter that has a conformateur?
Ding ding! We have a winner.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Dalexs wrote:Glad to offer the advice. Obviously buying a helmet is a bit different, because while some of the same sizing comes into account,
its more important because its an entire head fit, and not just the top... And Manufacturers generally use 1 of 3 shapes for their shells
(with minor variations) which is why one must try on dozens to find the right one, and hope they don't change it next time you need to replace it.

This is generally what its based on
So, for that first head on the chart, is the technical term among hatters the "Charlie Brown" head...? ;)

(I'm picturing Violet drawing on Charlie Brown's head as she demonstrate how to make a Halloween jack-o-lantern in "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown")