Question about sizing for a wool felt hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Question about sizing for a wool felt hat

Post by Mark Brody »

I recently ordered a BSA campaign hat. I ordered my normal size (61, or 7 5/8), and although it's comfortable from front to back, it fits a little large in the sides. I'm unsure of whether I should exchange it for a smaller size, here's why: It's 100% wool, which I know doesn't hold its shape like fur. It's also made by Stetson, and I still don't feel Stetsons live up to the company's former reputation, having had recent Stetsons shrink in the rain. I plan to wear this hat as hard as Indy wore his, so I don't expect the brim to stay flat as my long oval head distorts the crown, and I'm okay with that. It's a Scout hat, not a drill sergeant hat. I'm not going on parade.

I'm sure the vintage hats are better quality than the current production, but as I've stated, I have a rather large noggin, which makes it difficult to find vintage hats in my size.

Am I right to expect the right amount of shrinkage to make this hat fit me better?

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Question about sizing for a wool felt hat

Post by cm289 »

I don’t know the answer to that question, but as a member of the campaign hat brigade, I wanted to say, “Welcome aboard”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

As a fellow fat head... err... I mean, size 61 wearer, based on my experience I would discourage you from sizing down with your Stetson campaign hat.

I do not own a Stetson campaign hat, but I have an Akubra slouch hat, which is essentially the same "round" shape, which I bashed in to a campaign style.

(There's a topic about "Montana peak" campaign hats here: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

At this point, when I do not wear my slouch hat for a while, it shrinks considerably. I tried it on just now, prior to posting, and it has become extremely tight all the way around. It will take a few hours of wear to stretch it out so it is not uncomfortably snug.

I also own a Stetson fur felt western hat. The size 61 / 7-5/8 Stetson felt a smidgin too large initially, but after being worn, there was some shrinkage, and now, as with the Akubra, it is almost uncomfortably snug after not being worn for a while. As with your new campaign hat, the Stetson is tighter front to back and looser on the sides. I suspect it is an innate characteristic of hats with a "round" shape.

A long time ago I owned a wool felt Dorfman-Pacific Indy hat. That hat had a serious shrinkage issue. It definitely got tighter over time, to the point where I sold it, partly because I could not comfortably wear it anymore.

Perhaps try tucking a little strip of foam rubber inside the sweatband on the sides for a better initial fit, and then go out and "wear that hat as hard as Indy wore his" on a few dusty, dirty, sweaty adventures. I suspect you will find the hat will "shrink to fit" after a while, and then continue to shrink when it's not being worn. Because of the almost certain shrinkage, I don't think you will want to go down a size.

Let us know how it works out for you, and share some pics in that "Montana Peak" topic!

:H:

(Oh, and... where did you find a Stetson BSA campaign hat in size 61?)
Last edited by davidd on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

davidd wrote:
(Oh, and... where did you find a Stetson BSA campaign hat in size 61?)
There’s 2 on eBay now. One looks pretty good, the other has, well let’s just say, significant character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

cm289 wrote: There’s 2 on eBay now. One looks pretty good, the other has, well let’s just say, significant character.
Thanks. I can find one of them. Looks good, but the cost of shipping really bumps up the price.

I found an online vendor that offers Stetson campaign hats: https://www.filenesbasement.com/product ... n-hat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or, you can buy them from the official Boy Scouts online store, but I don't know if they're still made by Stetson: https://www.scoutshop.org/campaign-hat-606089.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stratton Hats offers uniform-style felt campaign hats in different oval shapes: https://strattonhats.com/products/unifo ... -felt-hat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I ordered the hat new from ScoutShop, I can confirm that they are still made by Stetson. I think older BSA Campaign hats were made by Stratton. Someone at TFL recommended getting the current offering from Stratton instead - they said the wool Stetson wouldn't hold up well if I plan to wear it hard. I know it won't hold it's shape, and it's prone to shrinkage, but I have a 20 year old wool Pendleton that is completely intact. It's shrunken and faded, but wool is still a very strong material, and it shows no weak spots in the felt.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Mark Brody wrote:I ordered the hat new from ScoutShop, I can confirm that they are still made by Stetson.
Thank you for the confirmation. The ScoutShop hats are much more reasonably priced than those from other online sellers I found.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, the other reason I suggested the Stratton is that it seems a long oval hat would fit you better.