Akubra sweat replaced...who can do that?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Akubra sweat replaced...who can do that?

Post by Kokopelli »

...Besides Akubra? I'm looking for someone stateside- due to shipping costs, that can replace a sweatband in my vintage Akubra Snowy River. My dog decided the original tasted good. There's not enough of it left to repair.

He also ate the branding decal from inside of it, which I don't think there's a replacement for since it's from the 80's. :x
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Akubra sweat replaced...who can do that?

Post by Michaelson »

Any good hat maker can do it.

Check with Peters Brothers of Ft. Worth, TX. They used to advertise hat restoration all the time and see if they’ll take on the work for you.

Dave Garrison would have been another but I don’t know if he’s taking any work at this time.

There’s also John Penman, but I have no idea if he’s working on Akubra’s these day, or what kind of backlog he has with his custom work .

There’s at least TWO folks stateside we know and dealt with.

I’d recommend Peters Brothers first as it’s their slack time at the moment.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson was quicker on the keyboard this morning.

I have had sweatbands replaced by both David and Peters Brothers. Both do great work.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

About 4 hours quicker, I'd say. :-k

:CR:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

True, though I saw your post earlier, this was the first chance I got to write a response. :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Great- thanks! I'll inquire with them and see how it goes.

The sad thing is that we had a hat shop open up here in Louisville a few years ago, and they were making fedoras, pork-pies, cowboy hats, pretty much anything fur felt, plus Derby hats for the ladies. I remember they were advertising forever for an apprentice to hire to learn how to block and finish hats, do repairs, etc, but only wanted someone part-time.

Their business must not have been enough because they closed up after a year.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I never knew there had been a hat shop in Louisville, I woulda loved to have checked that out :( . Since you’re fairly close, there is Batsakes hat shop in downtown Cincinnati, but I’ve heard mixed reviews about the staff there.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Kentucky Blues wrote:I never knew there had been a hat shop in Louisville, I woulda loved to have checked that out :( . Since you’re fairly close, there is Batsakes hat shop in downtown Cincinnati, but I’ve heard mixed reviews about the staff there.
I really hoped they would make it! It was Paul's Hat Shop, I believe.

My daughter goes to Northern Kentucky University, and her boyfriend goes to Cincinnati...I'll have to check them out, or have them do a recon!
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Kokopelli wrote:
Kentucky Blues wrote:I never knew there had been a hat shop in Louisville, I woulda loved to have checked that out :( . Since you’re fairly close, there is Batsakes hat shop in downtown Cincinnati, but I’ve heard mixed reviews about the staff there.
I really hoped they would make it! It was Paul's Hat Shop, I believe.

My daughter goes to Northern Kentucky University, and her boyfriend goes to Cincinnati...I'll have to check them out, or have them do a recon!

Funny, when I went to NKU my girlfriend went to UC. And you might want to check it out yourself, I get that feeling they might not get the best vibe if they’re not there to spend money.

-KB :)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

hatworksbypaul.com

They're an SF based shop, the Louisville location did not work out. They prefer to work on their own customs, but can sometimes be wrangled into refurb work. Still looking for an apprentice!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is Bond on The Fedora Lounge and is quite capable at sweats and refurbs.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

jlee562 wrote:hatworksbypaul.com

They're an SF based shop, the Louisville location did not work out. They prefer to work on their own customs, but can sometimes be wrangled into refurb work. Still looking for an apprentice!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is Bond on The Fedora Lounge and is quite capable at sweats and refurbs.
That was it!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I ordered a new vented sheep sweat from their shop- I think I can do this myself!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Good luck to you! Be sure to post progress/results.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Kokopelli wrote:

I ordered a new vented sheep sweat from their shop- I think I can do this myself!
I've never attempted it myself, but several Fedora Loungers have had good success following this guide using a stitch awl:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads ... ion.38010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;