Can someone explain "the turn" to me in detail?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

CaptainFach
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Can someone explain "the turn" to me in detail?

Post by CaptainFach »

Ok. So i know that the turn consists of the crown being creased off center, so when you align the crease with the center of your head, it causes the bow to be closer to the front. The part i dont understand is the brim. Was it shaped centered, and the crown crease being off centered giving the brim its asymmetrical look when you wear it? Or was the brim shaped off center like the crown? Im trying to figure this out before its time to shape my hat.

Thank you guys for all of your replies.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Re: Can someone explain "the turn" to me in detail?

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

The hat brim is asymmetrical. It’s oval (like the hat itself) but slightly longer front to back (2.75”) than side to side (2.625”). The hat is blocked in the usual way (i.e. the crown is not blocked off center) so if the wearer puts it on his/her head in the usual way the longest part of the brim would be in line with the wearer’s nose.

In a “turned” hat, the hat is put on the head uncreased and then rotated clockwise so the longest dimension of the brim is about over the outside corner of the wearer’s right eye. Then the crown is creased so the crease is where it usually would be - in line with the wearer’s nose - even though if the crown is viewed from the top the crease is to the left of the natural center of the oval shaped crown.

Rotating the hat give the brim an asymmetrical look, and warps it slightly, making it a little “wavy” because the natural oval of the hat opening is distorted by wearing it off-center. The distortion would not happen if the brim was cut off-center from the crown. (Plus, if you did that you could never wear the hat “straight.”)

Don’t know if that answers your question but it’s about the best I can explain it without pictures.

Penman Hats’ website has photos that show how it works in the “Indy’s Closet” section.

http://www.penmanhats.com/indy-s-closet.html
CaptainFach
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by CaptainFach »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:The hat brim is asymmetrical. It’s oval (like the hat itself) but slightly longer front to back (2.75”) than side to side (2.625”). The hat is blocked in the usual way (i.e. the crown is not blocked off center) so if the wearer puts it on his/her head in the usual way the longest part of the brim would be in line with the wearer’s nose.

In a “turned” hat, the hat is put on the head uncreased and then rotated clockwise so the longest dimension of the brim is about over the outside corner of the wearer’s right eye. Then the crown is creased so the crease is where it usually would be - in line with the wearer’s nose - even though if the crown is viewed from the top the crease is to the left of the natural center of the oval shaped crown.

Rotating the hat give the brim an asymmetrical look, and warps it slightly, making it a little “wavy” because the natural oval of the hat opening is distorted by wearing it off-center. The distortion would not happen if the brim was cut off-center from the crown. (Plus, if you did that you could never wear the hat “straight.”)

Don’t know if that answers your question but it’s about the best I can explain it without pictures.

Penman Hats’ website has photos that show how it works in the “Indy’s Closet” section.

http://www.penmanhats.com/indy-s-closet.html

Thank you so much that helps alot. Now I can make my hat knowing how to do the turn. Thank you.
NoBadDates
Vendor

Post by NoBadDates »

Good morning!

If you need a video on this to accompany your other information on the Turn I have made one on the HJ YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKb2BzfiW5o&t=54s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Michelle
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

NoBadDates wrote:Good morning!

If you need a video on this to accompany your other information on the Turn I have made one on the HJ YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKb2BzfiW5o&t=54s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michelle
Thanks, Michelle! :)
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

NoBadDates wrote:Good morning!

Michelle
Michelle -- That was a nice, clear demo/explanation of what the turn is and how it's accomplished.

Gang -- If you watch this video, note that HJ and Michelle have several other helpful videos on hat shaping and hat care posted on YouTube, too. Especially useful for some who may be relatively new to Indy hats and fur-felt hats in general. I can almost smell the scent of warm felt :TOH:

Thanks for posting these!

Howard W
NoBadDates
Vendor

Post by NoBadDates »

Thanks Howard!

Glad the videos are helpful. I get asked the same questions frequently and find that it is sometimes much harder to get a concept across in words or using still photographs. Videos bridge that gap.

Let me know if you guys would like any topics covered and I will see what I can do to help in video form!

Michelle