Indiana Jones Fedora - Herbert Johnson - Beaver

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Indiana Jones Fedora - Herbert Johnson - Beaver

Post by Indiana Jack! »

I just ordered this over a month ago from Herbert Johnson in Beaver instead of Rabbit and did it take forever. Took more time to get from U.S. Customs and U.S. Fish and Wildlife than to make it. I am enclosing several pictures of it so you can compare. ;)

Mine I had made in Beaver which is the upgrade from the rabbit. They had said that rabbit when taken care of will last about thirty years and that beaver would last more than twice that amount, that and beaver is a bit more water resistant should it get wet being as beavers are water animals. :o

I am told that rabbit is a bit more stiff. Not sure as I do not own a rabbit one as of yet. The beaver is quite soft and pliable. I am considering getting the Grey Poet from Herbert Johnson next in rabbit. Any thoughts on rabbit versus beaver anyone?

This one I had them go ahead and put in the Raiders Bash and the Indy Turn.

Anyways, here are the pictures! Questions? Comments? Happy to oblige!

:TOH:
Attachments
IMG_9067.jpg
IMG_9041-1.jpg
IMG_9066.jpg
IMG_9063.jpg
IMG_9065.jpg
IMG_9064.jpg
Last edited by Indiana Jack! on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Indiana Jones Fedora - Herbert Johnson - Beaver

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks nice, although the crown looks tall and the brim seems wide to me. What size is that? As to beaver vs. rabbit, the beaver hat will last and not be at risk of shrinking should it get damp (not soaked!) in an unexpected rain. Beaver is a very nice upgrade.
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Indiana Johnson Fedora - Herbert Johnson - Beaver

Post by Indiana Jack! »

My hat size is 59.5 cm which I was told by the manager making my hat is the same exact size as Harrison Ford. I thought the crown seemed a bit high but it is a crown height of 5½ inches at a size 59cm. Brim: Dimensional (2¾" front & back, 2 ⅝" on sides) and the Ribbon: Original 1½ inch dark brown galloon ribbon-band with screen accurate Raiders bow style. These are all on their website and was confirmed by Michelle Poyer-Sleeman, Civilian Hatting Department Manager at Herbert Johnson Hatters.

The crown honest does seem a bit high even with it crushed but the measurements are sound. I was assured this was exactly screen accurate as to what Steven Spielberg had made for Harrison Ford to wear. I can only go on what I have read and was told. You never know on the internet.

Just like you, I too thought the crown would be smaller once crushed and the brim a little more narrow. Perhaps it is just the camera angle? That and I am not wearing it although it still looks high on my head with it one finger above my eyebrow.

This is my very first formal hat! I figured this one was the one to get and as they say "Go BIG or go home!" lol.

I am not sure what I was expecting to be honest. I love the hat but I had hoped for...I don't know. Still, I love the hat and wear it whenever I go out no matter what I am wearing. lol

Here are three more pictures of my hat whilst it was being made. Matches the inside as to what I have now.
Attachments
IMG_20190802_124320.jpg
IMG_20190731_093837.jpg
IMG_20190731_095617.jpg
Last edited by Indiana Jack! on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

That looks to be a nice lookin lid my friend. I’ve been kickin the idea of looking into a HJ (I have a old poet in Rabbit which Steve Delk re-bashed to SoC.

But we can do a better judge with it on your noggin as far as how it looks.
Took me a while getting used to a taller crown on my fist, oh so many years ago.

Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

Here is a picture. Ignore the fat guy. lol.

...and yes, I am getting prepared for Halloween. No, not Trick-or-Treating but handing out candy. I always like to wear something different than everyone else. Only the parents might recognize it though. Ha!

It was admittedly one heck of a lot more $$$ than I had anticipated! :shock:
Attachments
Indiana Who.jpg
Last edited by Indiana Jack! on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I can't answer intelligently about the dimensions but it looks like a great hat!
Enjoy :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

The crown height and brim look good to me. It’s a tall hat. Takes some getting used to, but if you wear it eventually it will seem completely normal.
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

I played with how I wear it. If I wear it less military formal meaning one finger above the eyebrow and tip it back about an inch then it not only makes me look friendlier but it also makes the crown look less tall. An optical illusion of course but it's amazing how the look and effect change depending on how you wear it. :o