Alden 405s v. 403s, How to Break them in, & Best Inserts

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Harold Steele
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Alden 405s v. 403s, How to Break them in, & Best Inserts

Post by Harold Steele »

I bought my first pair of Alden 405s and am liking them so far. A few questions:

Any suggestions for how to break them in? I’m wearing them indoors for a few hours a day. I like to walk 10,000 steps a day, but am holding back from doing that with the Aldens, at least for now.

Can I reasonably expect to be able to use the 405s as a serious walking shoe the way that one might rely on a New Balance walking shoe?

What inserts work best with the Alden 405s? I have a Pedag pair of inserts on order. My sense is that a thin insert will work best.

If you use an insert, do you remove the Alden cushion on the heel—or just leave it there and have a double cushion?

Do the Alden 405s offer more orthotic support than the 403s or is it a tie? I saw a YouTube review that claimed the 405 is actually a more supportive shoe overall because the leather stays harder and doesn’t become too soft too quickly, which somehow contributes to the support. Thoughts?

Lastly, is the 403 a more easy wearing/comfortable shoe than the 405–or are they the same in that respect and it boils down to color and whether you want the quick-aging Horween on the 405?

I’m happy with the choice of the 405, but there’s still a window to return and get the 403s, which has a more versatile color. I was just very focused on SA/the-original-boot at the time of purchase and focused like a laser on the 405s. Maybe should have also tried on the 403s for good measure.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Alden 405s v. 403s, How to Break them in, & Best Inserts

Post by Glenville86 »

I find the Dr. Scholl's Comfort Tri-Comfort Insoles For Men to be perfect for the trubalance Indy boots. Last a long time. I just put them on top of the existing insole.

Have both leathers but like the regular leather over the chromexcel. The regular leather is stiffer and provides more ankle support. Another thing is the chromexcel will stretch a good bit as it wears in. For me, the trubalance last is already larger and needs inserts. The chromexcel stretching has the laces as tight as I can get then and the leather where the eyelets are touching. This is with work socks and I wear a medium. The regular leather keeps a normal distance in that area. Wide feet may not have that as much....lol

This will be different for people, but I find the Indy boots to be work boots and not comfortable hiking and long distance walking. Good for hacking around boots and wearing to an office environment. When working in Germany, walked a couple miles both ways to work and they were fine but glad to get them off at the end of the day. Barrier last is more comfortable to me. These boots will never be as comfortable as a shoe/light boot designed for long distance walking/hiking.

You can use any leather conditioner to soften up the regular leather. I have never used normal polish on mine and just my conditioner of choice.

Both leathers are fine depending on what you like. I like the chromexcel on non-Indy boots but the regular leather on Indy boots. Wish all Indy boots were on the barrier last.....lol
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You also realize the 10,000 steps benchmark is a myth, right? :-k

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/11/30/10 ... fact-13636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More so for ladies, it appears....

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/100 ... d=63351780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

Anyway, I've never put anything in my Aldens, have worn them all day long and walked miles per day, and have had no issues at all, other than the weight when compared to wearing my Pumas. That said, though, that's just MY experience with them over all these years.

Keep in mind, the Alden 405 boot is/was first and foremost an orthopedic shoe with their patented 'Trubalance' system built into the shoe. Anything you do otherwise is attempting to circumvent the design, so that's why no one has been able to give any real definitive answer, as when this is done using inserts or second guessing sizing, experiences are all OVER the map.

Only YOU can make the final determination, and that's by actually wearing them with and without inserts, and over distances. Everyone's experiences vary.

In my case, I just put them on, laced them up, and wore them. As in any GOOD leather shoe, they a little breaking in, but not much, and once they molded to MY feet, they're the most comfortable shoes I own....AS IS. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson :M:
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

I find that the 405 is not any stiffer than the 403s when broken in. I love the Chrome Excel leather of the 403, its soft, smooth, and holds up well. And with some neutral Venetian leather balm, they look great. My 405s seem to scuff easier. The 405s are red brick color, and my 403s are a brown color. I also love the 40557H Indy boot leather and the honey color. Reminds me of the Crystal skull boots.

Structure wise and orthopedics wise, they seem mostly the same to me. My favorite is the 403s in brown Chrome excel leather if I had to choose.
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

405s on the right. 403s in the middle. 40557h in the right.

Keep in mind the 403s are dirty as they just came off my feet. :TOH:
Attachments
20190618_202003-640x360.jpg
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

The big reason I wear a 3/4 insert in the trubalance Indy boots is I personally think they look like @#$% without inserts if the laces are tightened to the point where there is zero gap on the tongue where the sides are. To me, makes them look like the boots are too wide and ill fitting. The 3/4 inserts allows a gap like normal boots when laced. The trubalance boots are they only ones from Alden or other makers that does this on my feet. I also wear a medium width in all footwear so my feet are not narrow.....lol Normally on a brand new pair in trubalance, I do not need the inserts until the leather breaks in a little bit but then I use them to keep some separation on the tongue of the boots.

To clarify, not everyone will experience this and some who do will not be bothered by it. All is good. ;)

I still say in my experience, the chrome leather stretches more than calf leather and is softer.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Out of the box, the 403's Chromexcel leather is much softer than the calfskin 405s, so yes, 405s feel way more supportive to me.

While the 403s may be closer to 'Raiders accurate' in color, 405s can be darkened enough to match it. I sold my 403s simply because I felt they were too floppy. As soon as I received the 405s, I carefully masked off the welt and polished 'em with a few coats of Alden dark brown shoe cream. Black cream might have even worked better initially.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

How did that affect the stitching?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

The stitching darkened initially but then lightened up again once the excess polish was buffed away. The stitches don't retain the shoe cream's color as well as you'd think. I can't say what the results of using a paste wax would be.

It didn't return to the original white color of course, but they're much lighter than the leather and still very prominent.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

:tup: Thanks, might give it a try.
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

My one quibble with the 405s is that the speed hooks are a little, well, flimsy for a pair of boots at this price level. After 3 years of weekend-only use, mine are loosening and I would not be surprised if they started to pull out altogether.

I'm actually looking right now at the all-eyelet shell cordovan version of the boot offered at The Shoe Mart...
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Tym,

The hooks have always seemed to be Alden's weak link. They either loosen, bend open, bend closed, or as you suspected, start pulling out.

If you can even imagine it, the hooks were once smaller than they are now.