Show your STEELE & JONES "Cazadora '36"

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Show your STEELE & JONES "Cazadora '36"

Post by zhund »

zhund wrote:I have been meaning to do this for awhile, but wanted to post a quick review and photos of my new S&J Jacket.

First off, Diego is a pleasure to deal with and incredibly responsive to questions. He made sure I got exactly what I wanted. Things turned out better than I could have imagined and I would encourage anyone who wants a great jacket at a great price to get one from Steele & Jones. The fit is perfect, the craftsmanship is top notch, and the leather looks and feels great. I have a custom Raiders in SL from Wested and an older Cooper. This one is really the best.

Here are some photos:

Image Image

Regards,
KZ
I wanted to give an update on my awesome experience with Diego and S&J. I received a checkup from Diego a few weeks back to see how my jacket was doing and that everything was ok. I mentioned that there was a very minor issue with the storm flap, maybe the glue inside coming undone a bit. Not a very big deal, but Diego wouldn't hear of it. He told me we had a few options to fix it, and said to take it to a local leather shop, and after they fixed it he would pay the bill. I was pretty amazed at this level of customer service. In short, I had it fixed but couldn't bring myself to send him the bill - maybe I'll ask for a discount on my next jacket instead because S&J knows how to take care of their friends! So if you're on the fence, I highly recommend you give them a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Image Image

Here's a few shots today of the jacket outdoors. I think it looks great.

Regards,
KZ
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thanks for the kind words. :TOH:
We appreciate it very much.

Of course you can count on that discount.
And the jacket looks great!
Enjoy it!

Kind regards.-
Jones-Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jones-Solo »

Wow every time I read a post on Steele and Jones jackets I am so glad I had a custom fit one done by them instead of Wested. Diego is going to ship mine Friday as I mention on another post here. I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for Santa Claus to come, LOL. If mine fits well like I think it will, it will be the best investment I have made, because from the pictures it looks fantastic and screen accurate too.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

So say we all!!! .. oh wait .. wrong Franchise

. .. But same experience here ... i already posted on another forum my experience with S&J's a jacket tailored to you .... its not quick ..but it is correct and they go so much into the details of what YOU want before anything is even touched leather wise. Diego never starts anything till he has a clear picture of what you look like and what your ideal wants are coupled with checking and double checking the facts time and again.
fantastic customer service all round and quite honestly a fantastic end result. Diego has studied each of the screen jackets in quite some detail and can pretty much answer any questions on when why and how do you avoid etc ... plus Bear in mind these guys also have full time jobs as well! ..

Jackets, Hats and Gear ...that is their love!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thank you so much guys.
We are overwhelmed :TOH:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

IT IS BLACK ???

IT IS DARK BROWN ???

:-k :-k

IT IS PERFECT!!! :whip:

The elusive "Tanis Raiders Scenes" jacket !!!!!

CAZADORA '36 -Raiders Hero-

Distressed version

NOT distressed

More pics here:
http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/indie ... -%20Merino" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Based on those latest posted pics above by Indiego, this is the ONLY Raiders jacket I have seen that gets the pleat size right!

The pocket scallops and collar look to be bang on as well! This looks much improved over your previous iterations!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I just think he is trying too hard to make the jacket like Indian Bones

...take off that jacket, Inspector 13... :P
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That looks stunning, Indiego Jones. :TOH:

What is your distressing process for those who order the jacket distressed?
davidafshar
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davidafshar »

Looks just about perfect to me. Just the right amount of grain/ribby-ness.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:That looks stunning, Indiego Jones. :TOH:

What is your distressing process for those who order the jacket distressed?
We do the distressing job on the leather parts PRIOR to assembly.
So no thread is compromised.

My technique is different depending on the leather.
I take the shine off rubbing gently with alcohol and a cloth.
After that I use fine sand papers, of different grit. Very slow, trying to make it look natural.-

davidafshar wrote:Looks just about perfect to me. Just the right amount of grain/ribby-ness.
Yes, this latest batch have a more subtle ribby marks.
IMO, the closest on what I see on screen.-
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Great looking jacket you have any pictures of your last crusade jacket
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Crazyc2314 wrote:Great looking jacket you have any pictures of your last crusade jacket
Some pics here:
http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/indie ... C%20jacket

A review here:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Just received photos from Deigo of a new Raiders jacket he has finished. It’s thin horsehide, and extra grainy as requested. In fact he looked through more than thirty skins to find this one. What an easy, quick and sensible ordering process. It is a pleasure to correspond with him. Cannot recommend Steele & Jones more highly. Full fit and finish review once it arrives.

Interested to hear your views. Anything seem off or in need of addressing?

AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

Hi Indy Brothers and Sisters,

I recently received my new custom Steele & Jones thin chocolate horsehide Raiders Jacket. I would like to share with you my ordering experience and end result.

ORDERING:

I am always nervous ordering anything custom made online for obvious reasons. As experienced participants in this hobby can attest, there are no guarantees that the written word will succeed in achieving one's desired result. Nonetheless, upon reading about S&J's jackets, I decided to take the plunge. I figured if these guys are willing to travel from South America to Washington D.C. to personally examine the LC jacket specs, then they mean business as to accuracy.

Diego guided me as to the proper measurements for my fit and personal preferences. I sent them photos of myself in and out of jacket from another vendor. After a few initial exchanges, Diego went to work. Diego was very kind and patient with me when I needed to make a few belated changes - even after the jacket was near complete. He stressed that he wanted me to be happy and that my desire for a slightly longer arm length was an easy fix.

I was never made to feel foolish or annoying when I made inquiries and last minute changes. The ordering process was first rate.

FINAL PRODUCT:

What can I say. I hope to be buried in this jacket. When I returned home from work one day I saw the box waiting for me in a secure location. I opened the box, slipped the jacket out of its protective bag, and tried it on. It fit like a glove! I was amazed at how light the jacket felt. It is horsehide, but it is lighter on my torso than any horsehide or kangaroo jacket I own.

Like the Raiders jacket appears in the Idol cave and in Marion's bar, the jacket almost looked black with the indoors lighting. A few days later a colleague would examine the jacket to see that I was not lying to him about the jacket being a dark brown - not black. The jacket was screen accurate from the collar all the way down to the pockets, the action flaps, the hardware, the back bottom slits, and its drape. I know that coupling one's preferences with SA is the grail for us - and I must say, I chose wisely in SJ.

CAVEATS:

I want to point out that I had asked for a few personal adjustments to the jacket, given that I will be wearing the jacket, and not Mr. Ford. Although he is certainly welcome to wear it should he decide to swing by my homestead.

LENGTH: I asked that the jacket be slightly longer in the back. I have a longer torso and in the cooler New England weather, I did not want the jacket to leave my lower back too exposed should I have to climb a Nazi Flying Wing plane in the cooler months.

ARMS: My arm length is such that I could have easily swung from tree to tree with Mutt in the jungle. Thus, I asked for a slightly longer arm length. In making this request I considered that the arms will eventually develop the rolls and folds overtime.

SHOULDERS/V-TAPER: Occasionally I put down the remote control and pick up some weights at the local gym. I have yet to see my abs but my shoulders and waist seem to respond accordingly. Therefore, so as to avoid a loose drumlike body (realizing that the Raiders jacket is a box cut) I asked Diego if he could please provide me with a few extra inches in the shoulders and to slightly taper the sides. While the straps provide a nice tapering effect, I did not want them to have to do all the work. Thus Diego blended a nice taper for me - thus not requiring me to rely solely on the side straps for a more fitted look and feel.

NON-DISTRESSED SHEEN: I specifically asked Diego to please refrain from any distressing. I asked for a nice new sheen. It is my desire to let life and hopefully future adventures do the work. Plus it will be great to have before and after pictures to look at throughout the years to come, God willing.

In conclusion, this jacket is one of the first items I would grab were I ever made to flee my house under threat of fire, flood, search warrant, or former spouse. I have no dogs or children or family jewelry so I am afforded this luxury.

Everything that is screen accurate is purely and solely the work of Diego at Steele & Jones. Any variations from SA was done exclusively and with great precision at my request. I hope this review is of assistance to you, my friends. I have included some photo links for your kind inspection.

https://i.imgur.com/3LM5QHO.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/Yf2QAeQ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/HCfMub9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/wzCYv9E.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/kVpxLlZ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a novice as to posting. If there is an issue - I will endeavor to fix it.

Kind Regards,

AttyOzzy

P.S. If anyone wishes to see some different pics of the jacket please PM me with your cell phone number or email and I will text or email them to you.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Very nice indeed. :TOH:

You did well with your modifications. Fit looks great for you.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Congratulations, the fit looks really good on you, here’s to more adventures!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thank you so much for this detailed review!
ENJOY IT!
Kind regards.- :TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well, the first major problem with my S&J Raiders. The leather actually ripped apart down by the side seam. Around 3 inches from the bottom of the jacket underneath where the side straps are on the main side seam of the jacket. I am taking it in to my alterations place to see if they can do a fix...

On the other hand, I am also getting back my russet US Wings jacket today. I had the sleeves hemmed up an inch to fit better...we'll see...
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Charybdis wrote:Well, the first major problem with my S&J Raiders. The leather actually ripped apart down by the side seam. Around 3 inches from the bottom of the jacket underneath where the side straps are on the main side seam of the jacket. I am taking it in to my alterations place to see if they can do a fix...

On the other hand, I am also getting back my russet US Wings jacket today. I had the sleeves hemmed up an inch to fit better...we'll see...
I've never heard of a problem with their jackets. Certainly not like that. but there's always a chance of a bad piece of leather getting by. I cannot speak for them, but from my experience with them and they're excellent service I would think they would gladly replace it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Charybdis wrote:Well, the first major problem with my S&J Raiders. The leather actually ripped apart down by the side seam. Around 3 inches from the bottom of the jacket underneath where the side straps are on the main side seam of the jacket. I am taking it in to my alterations place to see if they can do a fix...

Dear Al,

I'm so sorry for this inconvenience.

Your 2016 jacket, is made out of our 3rd merino thin lambskin batch.
Very-very screen accurate in almost every detail. But not too strong, I'm afraid.
That's a characteristic also on the screen-used, today existing, original Raiders jackets.

If possible, please send me an email with pictures of the problem.
I'll give you advice.

Cheers.-
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I appreciate it but I already took it in for repairs. He said it can be done. I'll try to send a pic of it when finished. Yes, this leather is very light but I love the jacket!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Great.
Looking foward to know about the result.
Best regards.-
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

Just managed to snag one of 2nd hand with the Ribby merino.. been waiting for s&j to say they have some more of that leather but who knows when that may be..

So just jumped on the eBay purchase
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

pdraycott wrote:Just managed to snag one of 2nd hand with the Ribby merino.. been waiting for s&j to say they have some more of that leather but who knows when that may be..

I was too slow off the mark with that one. Congratulations. If you find you don't like the fit and want to sell it on, let me know. Cheers
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

Will do. If it doesn’t fit will give send you a message.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

pdraycott wrote:Just managed to snag one of 2nd hand with the Ribby merino.. been waiting for s&j to say they have some more of that leather but who knows when that may be..

Congratulations on your buy
Perhaps you can tell us the order number of that jacket, so I can give you detailed info on that specific jacket
If you are interested, of course
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

Indiego Jones wrote:

Congratulations on your buy
Perhaps you can tell us the order number of that jacket, so I can give you detailed info on that specific jacket
If you are interested, of course
Got the jacket..lovely one too. Nearly black in colour.
Number is 123.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

pdraycott wrote:
Number is 123.
Wow...that's a beautiful jacket.
Built on March, 2018
Made from our latest Merino batch. Nice deep dark brown color.
And very-very close to Harrison Ford original jacket proportions.
Size 40.
Lining all cotton, dark brown color
Elastic accross the middle back, to hold pleats closed. (not standard on our jackets)

Perfect texture and ribbyness match to "Flying Wing Fight" scenes (you know, where jacket looks almost black on screen)
Have a light accurate distressing, done by me.

It will be great to see some new pictures.

Congratulations!
Cheers.-
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

Indiego Jones wrote:
pdraycott wrote:
Number is 123.
Built on March, 2018
Size 40.
Lining all dark brown color
Elastic accross the middle back, to hold pleats closed. (not standard on our jackets)

Perfect texture and ribbyness match to "Flying Wing Fight" scenes (you know, where jacket looks almost black on screen)

Congratulations!
Cheers.-
Thanks for the info . It doesn’t look like it’s been worn much..will post some pics..it’s fits perfectly so I was lucky there.
Been after your merino jacket for ages...still up for another if you get any Ribby merino again.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

pdraycott wrote: Thanks for the info . It doesn’t look like it’s been worn much..will post some pics..it’s fits perfectly so I was lucky there.
Been after your merino jacket for ages...still up for another if you get any Ribby merino again.
We keep looking for merino....maybe someday we can find again.-
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

OK, here's the finished result of the jacket I had repaired. It came out pretty good. Not even noticeable...

Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Good job

:clap:
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

Indiego Jones wrote:
pdraycott wrote:
Number is 123.
Built on March, 2018
Size 40.
Lining all cotton, dark brown color

Congratulations!
Cheers.-
I am now the new owner of this jacket (#123). I couldn't be happier. Looks and feels perfect and am lucky that it's a great fit too. It honestly feels like I've just transported the original from the film set in 1980.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Just sent in my payment for a '36. \:D/ Can't wait.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well, actually, you are going to have to wait, but the wait will be WELL worth it!!! ;)
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Charybdis wrote:Well, actually, you are going to have to wait, but the wait will be WELL worth it!!! ;)

I know :CR: this is my first custom jacket so I'm sure it will be :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Know it's been a while since I updated - Diego sent me pictures yesterday, can't wait to get my hands on this beauty.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

WOw, what a beautiful jacket. I know the thread is Cazadora 36, but that distressing job looks like a truck chase major distress job.
I recently had my wait completed and I can’t wait for just a little warmer weather.’’
Can’t wait to see you wearing that one.

Congrats

Croft :mrgreen:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Indiana Croft wrote:WOw, what a beautiful jacket. I know the thread is Cazadora 36, but that distressing job looks like a truck chase major distress job.
I recently had my wait completed and I can’t wait for just a little warmer weather.’’
Can’t wait to see you wearing that one.

Congrats

Croft :mrgreen:
Thank you! I can't wait to wear it ;) I'll probably slather some Pecard's on it after I've had it a few days and get it a touch darker. We'll see. Either way, I'll be posting more pics for sure!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Why would you want to make it darker, it's already screen accurate?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

xmasters wrote:Why would you want to make it darker, it's already screen accurate?
That would be my question also!

Bare in mind, when you apply Peccard's on a distressed area, the distressing will "fade" considerably.
Just start trying on a non-visible small spot.-
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Indiego Jones wrote:
xmasters wrote:Why would you want to make it darker, it's already screen accurate?

Bare in mind, when you apply Peccard's on a distressed area, the distressing will "fade" considerably.

Oh that's good to know! This is my first distressed jacket so I'm a bit of a novice. Out of curiosity then, how often and what product would you recommend for conditioning a jacket with distressing to avoid the fading as much as possible?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Dr. Jones, Jr. wrote:
Indiego Jones wrote:

Oh that's good to know! This is my first distressed jacket so I'm a bit of a novice. Out of curiosity then, how often and what product would you recommend for conditioning a jacket with distressing to avoid the fading as much as possible?
This are our basic suggestions for jackets
Apply also for distressed ones.

Don’t soak your jacket. This isn’t a garment for the rain either. The water will remove oils and natural properties of the
leather. Although leather is very durable, it is not indestructible. Keeping leather away from chemicals, heat, and
humidity are key.
Do not use anything with wax or silicone in it because it will clog the pores in the leather. Also avoid using any cleaners
with alcohol, turpentine, mineral spirits, stain removers, shoe polish, saddle soap, furniture polish or anything caustic.
Finally, do not use mink oil or other fats on your leather coat because they can darken the color.

Beyond this, we don't have experience with any conditioner.
We just don't use them.

As I've said, you can try on a small place of the jacket, and see.
Perhaps you achieve a nice darker distressing shade...who knows.-
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...one knock against it...it looks too much like Indian Bones! :-k

are you still using HH on these?
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Texan Scott wrote:...it looks too much like Indian Bones! :-k
I think I might be missing a reference here :-k :[ :CR:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Texan Scott wrote:...one knock against it...it looks too much like Indian Bones! :-k

are you still using HH on these?
Hi Scott
We still offer the HH
But this latest jackets are lambskin
Cheers.-
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Hi Diego and all .....

i got word the other day that my Truck Chase Raiders is on the way so I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh as it were. The images sent look fantastic.. now all i have to do is locate a truck .. and some Tunisian desert!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Cazadora 36 ( Imams house edition )

tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Great photo, the jacket looks like a good fit! What leather did you go with?