Potential Indy Hat?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Potential Indy Hat?

Post by modernindy »

Anyone seen/bought one of these?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/649480929/ ... ?ref=hp_rv

Genuinely curious if this is in the running as a Jones hat or if it doesn't live up to snuff. Any and all comments on this welcome!
Attachments
il_1140xN.1691482211_hvg4.jpg
il_1140xN.1691482211_hvg4.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 946 times
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Potential Indy Hat?

Post by KhanVader »

From just a brief gander I’d say it definitely looks a bit too short and tapered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

KhanVader wrote:From just a brief gander I’d say it definitely looks a bit too short and tapered.
My initial reaction, too. But that price is very tempting, and I wonder how it looks on someone.
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

It definitely is tempting. Someone’s going to have to pick one up, you know, for science.

modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

Currently, I'm a little light in the wallet to perform any scientific experiments. Tax man keeps pulling this one ---> :BD:
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

modernindy wrote:Currently, I'm a little light in the wallet to perform any scientific experiments. Tax man keeps pulling this one ---> :BD:
Oh I hear that one man haha. Well someone out there will be able to give it a go.

Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

From the website.

“The Fedora is a very iconic style of hat. It's made of 100% fur felt or wool felt with a satin lining and a leather sweatband.

Crown Height: approx. 4,72 inches/12 cm

Brim width: 2,75 inches/7 cm

Color shown in photos: Blue/Blue ribbon

Quality in photo: Fur felt

All the available colors will be sent with a matching grosgrain ribbon trim except for the light gray (gray ribbon), beige and tan (brown ribbon) and white and wine (black ribbon). If you prefer any other color combination please send me a message.
The difference of quality from wool felt to fur felt is almost unnoticeable on the photos. The main differences of the two qualities are that the fur felt is softer to the touch, less weighted and waterproof.”

The fur felt variant is $105.

Assuming the 4.72” is the open crown height it’s slightly short. If it’s the height as shown it’s about right. The brim is okay, but not dimensional. What’s not clear is how stiff the felt is. If it’s too cardboardy it might disappoint slightly.

If one were to consider it they should pay the extra to get fur rather than wool for about 100 reasons discussed elsewhere around here.

In all, for the money it might be worth a shot for someone on a limited budget.
modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

Ridgerunner58 wrote: In all, for the money it might be worth a shot for someone on a limited budget.
Thank you very much for the input! I'll keep this one in mind, maybe I'll have the scratch soon to pick one up.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Honestly, to me it looks like anything you'd find by typing in "Fedora" into a search bar. I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near snuff for a Indy hat.

For the price and shipping, I'd just save up a few more months for an Akubra. We're talking 80 bucks plus shipping versus 115 bucks plus shipping. I think that's not a bad jump in price for what will probably be a HUGE jump in quality as well as a great Indiana Jones look.

jmo :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

backstagejack wrote:Honestly, to me it looks like anything you'd find by typing in "Fedora" into a search bar. I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near snuff for a Indy hat.

For the price and shipping, I'd just save up a few more months for an Akubra. We're talking 80 bucks plus shipping versus 115 bucks plus shipping. I think that's not a bad jump in price for what will probably be a HUGE jump in quality as well as a great Indiana Jones look.

I’d certainly agree with that.

An Akubra is a known quantity, tough as nails, and designed to look the part.

If you went that way you’d be very happy.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

backstagejack wrote:Honestly, to me it looks like anything you'd find by typing in "Fedora" into a search bar. I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near snuff for a Indy hat.

Actually, it's worse than that. $80 gets you wool felt. Fur felt: $104. Take a look at the hat in white, and you can see that the felt is really thick:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/635659852/ ... ting_top-2

Okay if you're cosplaying as Oddjob from "Goldfinger"... ;)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Not even close. Get a Fed 4 if you’re on a budget.
modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

Thank you all for your views on this! I won't be getting this one and holding out for a better, COW approved hat! :whip:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

modernindy wrote:Thank you all for your views on this! I won't be getting this one and holding out for a better, COW approved hat! :whip:
Good decision! Based on the different photo angles, this hat is nowhere near Indy style. You'd be disappointed, for sure.

The Akubra Fed IV is your best bet for an entry-level Indy hat on a budget, for all the reasons noted above -- a very good hat at a very good price.
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

I think with Indy fedoras, the old saying “you get what you pay for” is definitely true. Most of the Indy-style fedoras on the general market, though affordable, are cheap costume hats. However, between the COW vendors and the established brands like Akubra, Herbert Johnson, etc. there’s no shortage of options for every budget if you want a good looking hat made with nice materials. The Fed IV is definitely the best starter hat for achieving “the look”, and as your tastes and budget change there’s certainly a lot high quality hats for everyday wear as well. My personal hat is a Fed IV reblocked by well-known hatter and it’s a stud. It came from the Cairo Bazaar here, so keep an eye on that section as well!

Happy hatting,

IG :TOH:
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

I can vouch for the Akubra as well for being a great budget hat. It is my day-to-day hat (but very rarely do I use it for cosplay- I have a handcrafted one that was gifted to me a few years ago for that purpose!), and the bash I put into it is, to me, more reminiscent of LC or KOTCS. The key, when ordering, is to let them know what you want out of the hat and what your exact hat size is. They will actually measure the hats to try and find the best fit for you!