Advice for the new guy please?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I need some advice. I'm finally ready to order my first Indy jacket but I can't seem to decide on which route to go. I've narrowed it down to either US Wings current $195 offering or a Wested custom fit LC in goatskin. I'm torn because the USW is such a great deal but something just seems off and I can't quite figure out what. Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Advice for the new guy please?

Post by Michaelson »

My first question would be, have you have had a custom jacket made before?

If not, go custom your first time out. There's nothing more satisfying than having a garment/hat/what ever specifically made to YOUR shape, size, and specification. It's an amazing first experience, and I'm envious of you if you decide to go that route, as there's only one 'first time' when it comes to this hobby.

Later on, get a Wings jacket as a back up.

Just my opinion, though, as I LOVE my Wings jackets....but this ain't my first rodeo either. ;)

Regards, and welcome!

Michaelson :M:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

If you have a nagging feeling about US Wings, follow that instinct. You should be confident in your decision when you make your order. You also might consider looking at the Hero Models by Wested, as they're generally considered closer to what the original pattern was, and are about the same price. Just some food for thought.
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

You know, just seeing that 'first time' reasoning laid out in front of me is almost enough to solidify it. Its such an exciting premise!

And as far as the hero jacket goes I definetely am interested, however are there any drawbacks? I've read some things to the effect that it doesn't fit just everyone even after the custom sizing.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I think there have been occasional issues with Wested sizing regardless of which jacket you order. Wested is still probably the best bang for your buck though. The Hero Raiders has a bit of a fall-off-the-back effect which some find annoying, but if you’re thinking the Hero LC, that won’t be a factor.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Definitely take the advice of us veterans at Club Obi Wan. Our collective experience can save you a lot of time and money. As mentioned above, the Wested LC Hero is a perfect casual fit jacket that's a joy to wear, and extremely comfortable, with all of the screen accurate details. I couldn't be happier with mine. If you're after the authentic Crusade jacket, this will definitely fit the bill. The Raiders Hero, however, is more finicky due to the slim fit pattern. It's a great looking jacket, but the narrow sleeves and higher arm holes aren't quite as cozy as the LC. If you want a great Raiders jacket, I recommend ordering a custom with Hero spec details. I recently bought one, and it is absolutely perfect. :TOH:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Lunacyfringeam, welcome to Club Obi Wan. There is a ton of information here and some incredibly knowledgeable people as well! :D

Have fun, and don't forget to post pictures when you get your jacket! :mrgreen:
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Thank you for all the great responses and warm welcomes! It seems like I've been doing nothing but thinking about which jacket to order for months and it's wonderful to finally have some educated help.

As far as the Hero LC goes, I believe I'm sold! Is there anything I should keep in mind when taking my measurements? Also, what seems to be a happy ground for leather choice? As I said earlier, I'm fond of the authentic brown goat, but I'm also open to suggestions.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

my 2c here, but if I were in your shoes, I might seriously consider Diego's custom LC in distressed or non-distressed horsehide. Tremendous hide and tough. Distresses great. Have a look at their new ToD offering and you'll get a good picture of the type of work that they do. I like Wested, but S&J's LC jackets are keepers in terms of faithful replicas of the film jacket and the type of jacket that once you bought one, you would not need another. Customer service is tops.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 22#p912422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After your decision of maker, then it comes down to measurements. Take a jacket that fits you best, zip it, and measure across the arm pits from seam to seam, sleeve length from shoulder hem to end of cuff, and back length-from the bottom of the collar stand to the end of the jacket. As a comparison, my altered G&B Expedition, a ballpark size Large looks like this: Pits: 24", Sleeves: 25", Back Length: 25". Yours will no doubt, vary, but at least you can get a general idea.

Good luck with your selection.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Texan Scott wrote:my 2c here, but if I were in your shoes, I might seriously consider Diego's custom LC in distressed or non-distressed horsehide. Tremendous hide and tough. Distresses great. Have a look at their new ToD offering and you'll get a good picture of the type of work that they do. I like Wested, but S&J's LC jackets are keepers in terms of faithful replicas of the film jacket and the type of jacket that once you bought one, you would not need another. Customer service is tops.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 22#p912422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After your decision of maker, then it comes down to measurements. Take a jacket that fits you best, zip it, and measure across the arm pits from seam to seam, sleeve length from shoulder hem to end of cuff, and back length-from the bottom of the collar stand to the end of the jacket. As a comparison, my altered G&B Expedition, a ballpark size Large looks like this: Pits: 24", Sleeves: 25", Back Length: 25". Yours will no doubt, vary, but at least you can get a general idea.

Good luck with your selection.
Normally I'd agree, but from the options Lunacyfringeam listed first, I suspect he's operating on a more limited budget than that. I could be wrong, but I'd rather not push him to get a jacket that is beyond what he wants to spend.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Just to throw one more option out there: Indy Magnoli also makes a great LC tailored cowhide jacket in his White Label series for $295 (that includes shipping).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68001

I’ve had mine nearly a year now and it’s become my favorite!

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As you can see, you've opened a Pandora's Box, as there are a LOT of good choices out there, and a lot of 'favorites' of members here that are either in the same price range, or not far outside what you're thinking about spending for a custom.

Choose......wisely! :shock: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

You will not go wrong with a custom, that is for sure. It will fit YOU and you will love it! I went with S&J for mine and it looks great! I know that it's steep on the price, but you do get what you pay for.

I also have a Wested and have had a USWings before (I just ordered another one) but I sold my first one..

Just depends on your budget. If you absolutely have to stay on budget, then a US Wings would be a good choice. If you can go a little higher, Wested might be something to look at...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If I may, as I have owned more Indy jackets than I care to count, there is merit in attempting to buy it right the first time. It usually means that all things considered, you don't have to buy it again. For instance, if a guy buys a low cost jacket and for whatever reasons, was not satisfied with it, then usually the member will buy another. Two jackets and you have already exceeded the cost of one. Why not do it right the first time, if a guy can afford it? Most all of us have a credit card if cash is just not at the ready. with credit purchases, you just have to be careful to pay yourself back, and not get upside down, financially, that's all I was thinking. People often spend whatever the want to spend on their pet hobbies and side interests. A faithful repro of the LC was elusive for many moons, all things considered.
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Wow those are some beautiful options! However, price is definetely somewhat of a factor. My original plan was to snag a deal on a jacket while also having enough to order a proper fedora. However after seeing these suggestions I'm fully on board with going the proper, custom route and just saving a bit longer for my hat.

With that being said, Magnolis is absolutely beatiful, and almost exactly the same price as Westeds LC hero. Part of me is still leaning toward the hero just for the sake of its heritage, but it's certainly something I'm going to think over.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You also have the luxury of having members of this very site as the vendors you're thinking of dealing with.

For instance, Magnoli (Indy Magnoli) has been around this hobby on the internet since the mid 1990's, (a 'fan' since 1981 when Raiders came out as well as professional archaeologist) and a member of THIS site since it started back in 2002.

Another is S&J who are both members here and make a wonderful custom jacket and have also been in the hobby for many years.

USWings has been involved since 1985 (which as Cooper before that), and Sgt. David Hack (CEO) has been a member since the site began.

Any of these vendors can and will meet or exceed your needs.

Regards! M
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

So I believe I've decided on the LC Hero! Working on measurements now so I can hopefully order it before the week is out. I have a couple questions though if anyone could give some insight.

First is sleeve length. I'm worried about this purely because I'm not sure where their jackets sleeves start, and depending on that I could be either a 25" or 26".

My other question is regarding back length. I am 6' even and will be ordering a 46" chest. If I measure from the nape of my neck to just below my belt line I get about 26"-26.5". My concern is how high this seems in comparison to shirt or other jacket lengths. I know Indy always wore his jackets on the shorter side, but I still want this to look appropriate with everyday wear. What would you fine folks recommend?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm assuming you've already scanned this thread:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whipwarrior would be your best contact right now, as he has the most recent experience in getting one of these fine jackets.

I'd be he'd more than happy to 'talk shop' with you on what Wested is currently requiring for measurements to get it right the first time.

I'd suggest dropping him a private message so you don't get TOO confused with any conflicting advice. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

I actually did browse through that but honestly I've lost track of everything I've ready lately. Its been a non-stop search for answers all leading to this point.

Thank you for the advice though! I sent Whip a PM so hopefully he can help me out with this final details.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks for the recommendation, Michaelson! I explained everything needed for a perfect-fitting LC jacket! Another Crusader is on the path to choosing wisely! :TOH:
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Finally placed my order and I am beyond excited! I'll be sure to share some pics when it arrives :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

After all this, you better! [-X

:lol: :M: :tup:

Looking forward to seeing it!

Regards! Michaelson
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Hey again folks, another newbie question. Now that the jacket is ordered I've started to set my sites on the next purchase; the hat!
I think I've already determined that with my current budget the Akubra Federation IV is my best option. However, as with the jacket I'm open to any input or advice.
Also, I'm curious as to what kind of import fees i can expect here in the states when ordering from hats direct.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You want to start a separate thread move that question to the fedora section so more folks can chime in.

A lot of the hat folks don't even LOOK at the jacket section. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Thanks for the tip Michaelson, I'll be sure to group my posts more accordingly!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:

Very good. I've cleared out all the hat discussion so we can keep this thread to your jacket questions/discussion.

Folks can also PM suggestions to you as well.

Now, back to the discussion of jackets...... ;)

Regards! M
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Hey all, I’m new to this and about to purchase my first Indy jacket and am needing some guidance. After going back and forth between the Wested OTR Raiders and LC, I’ve decided on the OTR Raiders.

My first question is about the sizing. I’m stuck between 44 or 46. I’ve gone over Wested’s size chart for both, compared it to other jackets I own, and compared it to my measurements as well. I don’t want the jacket to be too baggy and drown me, but I also want to be comfortable and be able to move. Wested says that they leave “breathing room” in their jackets, with a 44 pit-to-pit coming in at 25 inches and the 46 coming in at 26 inches. How accurate is the Wested sizing chart? Those of you that have Wested Indy jackets already, do they actually measure what the chart states? My chest measures exactly 45 inches. Would the 44 Wested with an actual 50 inch chest be comfortable? Maybe there’s someone on here with a 45 chest that can weigh in? Or maybe someone inbetween sizes like me? Is there something on the sizing that I’m not considering?

My second question is about the leather options. I’m torn between the authentic lamb or goat. I want to use this as a daily wearer, so I’m leaning towards goat, but I want to distress it some. Does anyone have experience distressing the goat? I understand it’s notoriously hard wearing. Additionally, how does the goat drape? Obviously it won’t drape like the lamb but I kind of want that flowy quality that Indy’s has.

Thanks for the help.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Hi Metallicuda, welcome to the board. I'm not sure how useful measurements from other jackets will be, since most jackets these days aren't cut like the Raiders jacket was. It's a comfortable fit, it's just a close one. I would talk to the folks at Wested, since they know their sizing chart better than anyone else, but generally I would take your chest measurement (giving yourself a little breathing room), and round up to the nearest inch. Then trust that they've built in enough extra space. But like I said, the folks at Wested are the best people to talk to. Don't fret too much about it though - thousands of people have gone through this same process and gotten great jackets that fit well. You will too.

Regarding leather, if I may ask, what narrowed it down to those two for you? What are you looking for in a jacket? Toughness? A leather that will age well? light weight? I just ask because lamb and goat are kind of the opposite in terms of their qualities, and you might want to broaden your options to include some of the others, like cowhide, etc. Lambskin will probably be tough enough for daily wear, provided you aren't putting it through hard labor. It ages well, and will develop some nice wrinkles with daily wear. Goatskin is much tougher, but it tends to have a stiff, plastic-y texture when you first get it, and as it ages, it develops a pebbly texture.

Also, have you considered going for one of the custom jackets, or the Hero jacket? It's only about £20 more. I'd just be worried that if you have a long frame you'll end up with a jacket that's perfect in the chest, but that has sleeves that are too short.
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Mulceber wrote:Hi Metallicuda, welcome to the board. I'm not sure how useful measurements from other jackets will be, since most jackets these days aren't cut like the Raiders jacket was. It's a comfortable fit, it's just a close one generally. I would talk to the folks at Wested, since they know their sizing chart better than anyone else, but generally I would take your chest measurement (giving yourself a little breathing room), and round up to the nearest inch. Then trust that they've built in enough extra space. But like I said, the folks at Wested are the best people to talk to. Don't fret too much about it though - thousands of people have gone through this same process and gotten great jackets that fit well. You will too.

Regarding leather, if I may ask, what narrowed it down to those two for you? What are you looking for in a jacket? Toughness? A leather that will age well? light weight? If so, you might want to broaden your options to include some of the others, like cowhide, etc. If you're ####-bent on one of those two, lambskin will probably be tough enough for daily wear, provided you aren't putting it through hard labor. Goatskin is much tougher, but it tends to have a plastic-y texture when you first get it, and as it ages, it develops a pebbly texture.
Thanks for the input. I actually sent them an email with the same questions shortly after posting this. Hopefully, they can provide some insight.

I landed on lamb or goat because I wanted the jacket to be light to mid weight. Not sure I want something as heavy as cow. I want the jacket to last for years and have heard horror stories about lamb, even had a bad experience with a lamb jacket tearing on me. I’m not familiar with Wested’s lamb though, so maybe it’s more durable?

I do want the jacket to have some distressing to it. Not too much but some. I feel and Indy jacket should have some. Been researching and reading on some distressing techniques, just wasn’t sure if anyone has had success with Wested’s goat. First thing I planned to do was to wet the jacket some and wear it to help with the shine and break in.

When measuring myself the sleeves and back length on the OTR should be pretty close. I’m slightly under 6 foot.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Metallicuda wrote:I landed on lamb or goat because I wanted the jacket to be light to mid weight. Not sure I want something as heavy as cow. I want the jacket to last for years and have heard horror stories about lamb, even had a bad experience with a lamb jacket tearing on me. I’m not familiar with Wested’s lamb though, so maybe it’s more durable?
Well then, if your criteria are mid-weight and tough, goat is the better of the two. I can understand being leery of lamb if you're worried about durability. Another option is lambtouch, which is a light weight cowhide that's meant to replicate the feel and drape of lambskin, but with the durability of cowhide. Based on what you say about your priorities, that sounds like a good fit to me.
I do want the jacket to have some distressing to it. Not too much but some. I feel and Indy jacket should have some. Been researching and reading on some distressing techniques, just wasn’t sure if anyone has had success with Wested’s goat. First thing I planned to do was to wet the jacket some and wear it to help with the shine and break in.
You might want to check in on the gear care and distressing section of the forum then. I've always preferred to let my jackets age naturally, but we have people here who have a lot of experience with that. From what I've picked up from listening to them, go slowly and proceed with caution - you can always add more distressing later, but you can't undo it once it's done.
When measuring myself the sleeves and back length on the OTR should be pretty close. I’m slightly under 6 foot.
Perfect - sounds like the standard size is a win then.
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

This being my first, I figured standard was the way to go. Sort of want a point of reference before I start shortening or changing things, but I’m already making plans for a LC Hero. ;)

I looked on the Wested webpage and the lamb touch isn’t listed under the customs. Is this something you have to specifically contact them for?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Oh I forgot that they don’t offer that anymore. It's a shame, because I seem to recall people really liking that one. Sorry about that. It might be worth inquiring about how heavy their cowhide is compared to the goatskin. But if that doesn’t work out, it sounds like goat is probably your best bet.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

If your chest measurement falls between a size, wested usually say order a size up. I would also advise the same.

Also you should try the Wested washed lamb, which they offer in OTR sizing now. It's a bit heavier, and a bit more premium quality than the authentic lamb.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I'll vouch for that. I recently ordered a Raiders custom in washed lamb, and it is a gorgeous skin! It has a wonderful texture and shine, a good medium weight lambskin with magnificent drape quality. In the behind-the-scenes temple footage, Indy's jacket looks exactly like the washed lamb that Wested is currently offering. It's precisely the same shade of chocolatey brown leather with that wonderful crinkly surface texture:

Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Whipwarrior do you feel like the washed lamb will hold up to daily wear? That jacket is really beautiful! :D
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Absolutely, provided you avoid dragging behind German army trucks! ;) While lamb certainly isn't as tough or rugged as cowhide, horse, or goat, it's a perfect skin for daily use. Lamb is extremely comfortable and ideal for winter, keeping out frigid breezes and chill. Moreover, since it is lighter than cowhide, it can be worn in early autumn without the sweaty discomfort of a heavier jacket, which is limited to extremely cold temps. The standard casual fit Raiders jacket offers freedom of movement and roomy enough to allow layering for cold weather insulation. All things considered, it's a great jacket for everyday wear!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Ooh I’m really digging that washed lamb. For whatever it’s worth, I think that’s your best option, Metallicuda. I’m starting to get the itch for a new jacket myself...
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Wested's washed lamb relieves the itch, believe me! I've bought several Raiders jackets from Wested since 1998, and this one is hands-down the absolute best. It is literally perfect. I couldn't ask for a better jacket! :TOH:
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Have you done anything to it besides wear it Whipwarrior?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Just wearing it. As much as I would like to distress it, I just can’t do it. I’d never forgive myself if I deliberately ruined such a beautiful jacket.
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

It is beautiful for sure.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

whipwarrior wrote:Just wearing it. As much as I would like to distress it, I just can’t do it. I’d never forgive myself if I deliberately ruined such a beautiful jacket.
Send it to me. I'll distress it for you. :mrgreen:
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Just placed my order for a OTR Raiders in Authentic Lamb! Decided since this is my first one the authentic lamb would be the way to go. Thanks to all for your help!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Canyon wrote:
whipwarrior wrote:Just wearing it. As much as I would like to distress it, I just can’t do it. I’d never forgive myself if I deliberately ruined such a beautiful jacket.
Send it to me. I'll distress it for you. :mrgreen:
Oh, I'm sure you'd enjoy that, Canyon! ;) While I have mailed off jackets for distressing before, this one is too perfect to risk sending to someone who would most certainly keep it! :P
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Metallicuda wrote:Just placed my order for a OTR Raiders in Authentic Lamb! Decided since this is my first one the authentic lamb would be the way to go. Thanks to all for your help!
Congrats on your purchase. I think you’ll enjoy it. And lamb was a good choice.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Be sure to post pics when the jacket arrives! :TOH:
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Well my LC Hero has finally arrived! I couldn't be happier with the quality, and the goatskin is absolutely beautiful. I had requested black lining and the vintage "Leather Concessionaires" label (per the wonderful advice of whipwarrior) and am happy to say both requests were met flawlessly!
As far as fit goes, it is one comfy jacket! The shoulders and sleeves seem to wrap and fall just right, and the chest has plenty of room without feeling excessively bulky. However, my one concern is regarding the length. While wearing a shirt tucked in it looks great, with the front just in line with my belt and the back just below it. However, when worn with a shirt not tucked it almost gives the illusion its a tad short. I'm still extremely pleased, but maybe I could get some opinions on the matter?
front 1.jpg
front 1.jpg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
back 1.jpg
back 1.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
front 2.jpg
front 2.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
back 2.jpg
back 2.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

What backlength did you order and have you measured the backlength to see if matches? Bare in mind wested say there's a half inch give on lengths.
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

I ordered a 26.5 and it's pretty spot on when I checked the measurements