Reblock suggestions please

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Reblock suggestions please

Post by IndianaJustin »

I'm thinking about reblocking my hat, it's a Penman Raiders in beaver. I'd like Penman to do it but not sure I want to wait until June 2019, his current wait time.
Any suggestions? I'm not sure how long the turn around is on a reblock, I've never had one done. Or whatever else may be involved for that matter.

Thanks for any help.
IJ
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Reblock suggestions please

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Did Penman specifically say the REBLOCK time was June 2019? If not, that might just be for new hat orders.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

For most hatters, a reblock wait is not much different than ordering a hat new. It is essentially the same process and any hatter only has so many blocks to be used.

Do you really need a reblock? I've seen members say they need a reblock when really what they need is a cleaning. If your brim has gotten a little wonky it can be reflanged without a complete reblock.

How old is your hat and how much have you used it? Unless you've worn it in the jungles, deserts and being drug behind a truck, I would be surprised a beaver hat needs a reblock.

Your best bet is to wait for Penman to have a slot open since he made your hat and you will get back what you started with. Going with a different hatter could result in your hat changing due to their blocks and techniques. Though any hat is going to evolve from SA due to your own head and usage so that may not be a big deal to you.

David Garrison has reblocked several hats for me much to my satisfaction, but I don't think he's taking orders now.

I also have several hats from The Northwest Hat Co. Mike has his own version of the Indy hat so has a block shape that could work.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks for your thoughts. I emailed John directly asking for a reblock and he said June.
It's about 6 years old and I have worn it in a lot of places... I think it's starting to taper, but maybe I'll tweak it around. I'd post a pic but I'm not savvy about how to do that without the pic being too big. Anyways, not sure what I want to do yet.
Take care,
IJ
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Jeff makes a great point. I have had my center dent sag in making me think I needed a reblock when the hat really had not tapered any due to shrinkage.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Also keep in mind that when you get in line for a reblock, he won't ask you to send him the hat until he's ready to reblock it, so you won't be going without the hat for very long. I'd just get in line, and then wear the hat for all it's worth until then.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Yes that’s what John said. Any idea how long turnaround takes, out of curiosity?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

If you are in the US the turnaround should be around 1 week or so not including shipping time. But like anything bespoke that’s subjective. Ask John. Only he could say for sure.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Another thing that affects wait time is the size you're needing to have reblocked.

If it's a popular size, like, say, 7 3/8, that can REALLY make the wait time longer, as (like has already been said) the same blocks used to make new hats are usually used for reblock.

If you have a non-standard size, like a size 6 or 8, then those blocks are more readily available and the turn around is a lot faster.

Once again, ask John. He's the man who can give you the final answer on your particular question.

I, too, have used Mike at Northwest, and his work is great and turn around fast, so I add my thumbs up to that suggestion.

Regard! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

John has done 3 reblocks for me in the past 2-3 years. The away time from shipment to receipt was around 2 weeks including transit time. I’m a 7 1/4 which is a pretty common size. I understand he puts you in line and let’s you know when the block frees up. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Precisely.
DanielP
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DanielP »

I have a Penman, I have had him restore and reblock a hat. He's great! Little pricy though.

I had my ABL reblocked by Mike from Northwest hats for around $60(but I think I had new ribbon and other things that drove up the price).
Please consider Mike Miller of Northwest hats for reblocking. The wait isn't as long and is probably half the price. Email him, tell him to use as little stiffener as possible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

His block shape is different if that matters.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

I suggest waiting for John. The wait is long, but it is worth the wait. :TOH: