HJ Bowler and Raiders Hat Comparison

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indysdad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

HJ Bowler and Raiders Hat Comparison

Post by Indysdad »

Just bought this on eBay. I was just casually looking at Herbert Johnson listings when I stumbled upon this. Obviously not a Poet or Indy hat, but what really caught my eye were 3 things.

#1 Sweatband with HJ address. It has the 13 Old Bond St. on the sweatband. My understanding is that this was made around the same time frame the Raiders hats would have been. The sweatband appears to be the same color and stock used for the Raiders hat that is currently on auction.
#2 Sable Color. It has a paper label that reads "Sable" and appears to be the same color as the Raiders hat. Obviously, there would never be a sure way of telling if it is the same exact color without actually holding the Raiders hat and matching it. But, if this is the same color and made during the same time frame at least I have a better idea of what the exact color might have been.
#3 Satin Laber instead of Liner. I don't know if this has ever been talked about or considered but in this HJ bowler-derby there is no liner, but instead a satin label. Is it possible that the original raiders hats never had liners but rather just the label? In the pictures/videos that have surfaced of the propstore raiders hat that is currently on auction, there is no liner leading me to believe that it never had one. It would seem a bit odd for HJ to do that when they obviously produced hats that had very nice liners before that. Anyways, I would love to hear what your thoughts are on all of this.

Below are some photos to show the comparison of the 2 hats.

LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: HJ Bowler and Raiders Hat Comparison

Post by LRGS »

Interesting. Is this fur felt or wool?
Indysdad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indysdad »

100% Fur Felt. I'm guessing rabbit.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

You've probably hit upon a good proxy here. Probably the same felt manufacturer with such a similar looking colour (that it is likely the same). Any chance you could download one of those apps that allow you to find out the Pantone number of what you photograph?
Indysdad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indysdad »

From what I can tell Pantone 476c is probably the closest. 4625c and 2322c are also right there. However, I haven't received the hat yet in the mail. I just have the sellers photos to go off of. So I will have to double check when it arrives.

Major
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Major »

Be cool to see what you think when you get it.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

+1. Thanks for the Pantone. Will be very keen to see the Pantone of the hat when you receive it.
Indysdad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indysdad »

The hat arrived today and I was finally able to get a better look at the color and take some photos. Most of my photos were taken outside with direct sunlight. I also took some photos to compare the color of this HJ hat with my Northwest Indy fedora and a Akubra Fed. just to give everyone an idea of the slight difference in hue. In regards to the Pantone color, I would say Pantone 476c is pretty spot on. Very nice felt. Super thin and floppy.

Color comparison with NW Indy Fedora

Color comparison with Akubra Fed. Indy Fedora

LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

Looks great. Thanks for the Pantone info. By the way, am pretty sure that isn't a bowler. Looks like an open crown fedora / trilby to me.
Indysdad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indysdad »

Oops. Your right. I'm not sure why I thought this was a bowler.
Indysdad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indysdad »

So, once again, is it possible that the screen used Raiders hats did not have actual satin liners but just a satin label glued on the inside?