Screen used Raiders fedora up for auction in UK

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Screen used Raiders fedora up for auction in UK

Post by Jeremiah »

well,, then thankfully Jack has the block so all is good right? unless that is Jack is not who he said he was.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

:lol:
BrandonA18
Vendor

Post by BrandonA18 »

D00R wrote:Image

The Fedora looks totally rebashed into a tear drop. How can it be so soft to take on the shape of a hat stand. I own a borsalino alessandria thats super soft and its bash come undone easily but not enough to conform with the sides and back creasing around a circular hat stand perfectly. Someone rebashed it and now that sought after Indy bash everyone trys to recapture is gone. Maybe fans can take photos of it on display and show what the outcome is now. This hat just lost its value. Its like when that old lady repainted that painting of Jesus lmao
Should be in a museum anyway not in the hands of a collector. The last guy who owned it had it CLEANED btw.
This is inaccurate. The fedora today is in exactly the state it was when it was owned by ScreenUsed and then the prior collector. As per my prior message, if you set this hat on a head stand it will take the form of the head unless you take measurements to keep the weight from touching the top.

The exact original "bash" would have lost many years ago. It remains the hat worn by Harrison Ford in Raiders. Many film props and costumes are not today in the exact state that they were when used for filming decades ago.

Brandon
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

In other words. Take a chill people.
Thanks Brandon.
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

That hat has been rebashed and cleaned without any doubts. STOP.
Last edited by andrea1984 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

Any thought that this hat has been rebashased just because it doesn't look exactly like it used to, nearly 40 years ago, is simply naive. I have a 40+ year old felt hat and I know how these things change over time. Especially, if they have been brutaly used.

My own curiosity is about the whip. Has this item ever been greased for preservation purpose? Not that anyone would be stupid enought to try crack it but the leather needs some attention from time to time just to secure it's lifespan.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Very doubtful, by the look of it. :(
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

andrea1984 wrote:That hat has been reblocked and cleaned without any doubts. STOP.
(where is the facepalm emoji when you need it...)

Too many trolls around here, lately...
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

andrea1984 wrote:That hat has been reblocked and cleaned without any doubts. STOP.

You REALLY don't know that. To my eye, there are enough similarities to suggest that it's extremely unlikely to have been reblocked. It has certainly been re-bashed, but as Brandon said, that's pretty easily reversible, especially when the hat is as floppy as the Raiders hat was. As Jeremiah said, it's time to chill out.
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

Indiego Jones wrote:
(where is the facepalm emoji when you need it...)

Too many trolls around here, lately...

Why troll? I expressed my opinion (maybe in a not perfect english).. without trolling anyone I think.we can judge only the picture....and that hat shows a perfect teardrop crown to only be a casual effect of the hat stand... but I repeat: IMHO. Sorry if I offendend some one.
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

Mulceber wrote:

You REALLY don't know that. To my eye, there are enough similarities to suggest that it's extremely unlikely to have been reblocked. It has certainly been re-bashed, but as Brandon said, that's pretty easily reversible, especially when the hat is as floppy as the Raiders hat was. As Jeremiah said, it's time to chill out.

Yeah I was meaning rebashed, wrote wrong, excuse me!
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

BrandonA18 wrote:
D00R wrote:Image

The Fedora looks totally rebashed into a tear drop. How can it be so soft to take on the shape of a hat stand. I own a borsalino alessandria thats super soft and its bash come undone easily but not enough to conform with the sides and back creasing around a circular hat stand perfectly. Someone rebashed it and now that sought after Indy bash everyone trys to recapture is gone. Maybe fans can take photos of it on display and show what the outcome is now. This hat just lost its value. Its like when that old lady repainted that painting of Jesus lmao
Should be in a museum anyway not in the hands of a collector. The last guy who owned it had it CLEANED btw.
This is inaccurate. The fedora today is in exactly the state it was when it was owned by ScreenUsed and then the prior collector. As per my prior message, if you set this hat on a head stand it will take the form of the head unless you take measurements to keep the weight from touching the top.

The exact original "bash" would have lost many years ago. It remains the hat worn by Harrison Ford in Raiders. Many film props and costumes are not today in the exact state that they were when used for filming decades ago.

Brandon
Hello Brandon,

I understand very well what you say but please in the future use the good stand and the right bash like my video that I made for the circumstance. I know my english is bad but without pretention, I'm the one who knows the most the Raiders hat!!

Now, please everyone, stop criticizing Prop Store, they don't deserve this!!

Fedoraiders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9Bi38 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by fedoraiders on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

andrea1984 wrote:Why troll? I expressed my opinion (maybe in a not perfect english).. without trolling anyone I think.we can judge only the picture....and that hat shows a perfect teardrop crown....
I support andrea1984 here. Referring to him, or anyone on this forum, as a "troll" seems out of line, and diverts this thread from the topic of the hat into the realm of personal insults.

It is apparent that several of us have strong opinions about this, which for the most part are based only on photos. Few of us have ever seen the actual item, and even fewer of us are likely to be serious bidders next month when it hits the auction block.

Myself, I agree with andrea1984 that if this is, indeed, a photo of the actual hat, that crisp teardrop shape in the crown appears, to my untrained eye, to be much more of an intentional reshaping than a mere response of a soft hat sitting on a hat stand. But what I think about the hat doesn't matter, since I won't be in the bidding.

Who knows what happened to the hat in the months and years immediately after filming? At that time, Raiders was just another movie. Nobody knew it would become a "classic" and that the hat would become "iconic." Maybe whoever nabbed the hat from the set wore it him or herself. Maybe they cleaned it, reshaped it, or left it sitting in the back window of their car in sunny SoCal. Maybe they let their kids play with it in the back yard. After thirty-five years, I suppose it's pretty silly to be worrying about whether or to what degree this hat has been reshaped.

It's definitely not something worth getting in to "name-calling" over on this tight-knit forum where, while opinions may differ, everybody has the same or similar overall interests.

Out of curiosity: is anyone planning to go see the hat during the auction preview in the UK?
BrandonA18
Vendor

Post by BrandonA18 »

Here's a photo of myself with the hat at Comic Con.

And a photo of the hat taken today.

Once again, the hat's felt is so soft that it adjusts easily from handling or setting on a headstand.

randon
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

andrea1984 wrote:
Mulceber wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Sorry about the confusion! I thought you were accusing them of doing a full reblock on a Screen used Raiders hat - which would be a travesty!

As it is, it looks like Brandon was able to put the hat right back into it's original shape.
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

Mulceber wrote:
andrea1984 wrote:
Mulceber wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Sorry about the confusion! I thought you were accusing them of doing a full reblock on a Screen used Raiders hat - which would be a travesty!

As it is, it looks like Brandon was able to put the hat right back into it's original shape.

No, only writing mistake. happy to see THE hat in good condition, lucky guy the new owner! never accused Brandon of anything... I commented only the picture that was very misanderstanding ( hope you could understand my not so good English my friend)
Cheers
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

BrandonA18 wrote:Here's a photo of myself with the hat at Comic Con.

And a photo of the hat taken today.

Once again, the hat's felt is so soft that it adjusts easily from handling or setting on a headstand.

randon
Brandon, what is it like to hold THE hat in your hands? :shock:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Also, from what you can see, does it look like Harrison folded the sweatband outward (i.e. so that the back-side of the sweatband would be against his head) or inward?
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

Mulceber wrote:Also, from what you can see, does it look like Harrison folded the sweatband outward (i.e. so that the back-side of the sweatband would be against his head) or inward?
Another thing how much was the hat turned to get that Indy turn? 1.5 inches? Or more?
BrandonA18
Vendor

Post by BrandonA18 »

Hi all,

When our auction catalog is released on August 31st, a comprehensive photo gallery of this hat will be included which shows multiple shots from a variety of angles, including the sweatband. The hat will also be on display in London for two weeks prior to the auction and I'm certain more photos will be posted then.

Holding the hat, and especially holding it and studying the photos of Ford wearing it, and seeing everything match up -- is a wonderful feeling. I'm a massive Indiana Jones fan myself and this piece is one of the very best I've seen.

Best,
Brandon
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Brandon, thanks for your reply. :TOH:
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Brandon,will the measurements of the hat be listed in the catalogue? also will the photos in the catalogue be of the hat as it is now or as it was when it was on the hatstand? cheers :TOH:
BrandonA18
Vendor

Post by BrandonA18 »

For clarity, the photos that will be shown in the catalog were shot first, at our facility in Los Angeles. The hat then went to Comic Con, then traveled to the UK (where it was shown with the top sitting incorrectly at one point) and the top has now been re adjusted to current format -- which is how it will be displayed in London.

We won't release detailed measurements of the piece as it's not a relevant aspect for our potential buyers.

Very best,
Brandon
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

I think it will easily go back to its original shape as long as it wasn't soaked in water - regardless of how soft. It will remember its center crease. For instance, Jones has this hat all but crushed in his hands "I don't know I'm making this up as I go" and it came back.

What would kill it is a reblock. For sure. Its shrinkage is part of the screen accurate shape.
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

BrandonA18 wrote:...

We won't release detailed measurements of the piece as it's not a relevant aspect for our potential buyers.

Very best,
Brandon
:cry: Would take one or two minutes for you or another employee of prop store and would absolutely be awesome for the fan community... sorry, but I can't understand why you as a "massive Indiana Jones fan" want to keep that in the dark for all of us...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

adVintage wrote:sorry, but I can't understand why you as a "massive Indiana Jones fan" want to keep that in the dark for all of us...
To keep fakes from flooding the market would be my guess. Desi (ScreenUsed) was VERY protective over letting details slip while he had the hat. At least here we've finally seen the inside and sweatband so we've been able to prove some theories made by folks here who have studied it. I'm thankful for what we've gotten and don't think we should harp on asking too much.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

We don’t need the measurements. Remember? HJ has THE block and if you get a hat from them you have THE hat.
Also, any measurements off that hat now would be off as it’s tapered. We already have Harrison’s head size so not sure what one would gain from these measurements.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

It would be nice to at least get a definitive measurement of the ribbon to put rest the debate.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Agree.
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

Will this catalogue be available to purchase? Or is it an online catalogue?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

You have to bid on it. :mrgreen:
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

Ha!
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

Jeremiah wrote:We don’t need the measurements. Remember? HJ has THE block and if you get a hat from them you have THE hat.
Also, any measurements off that hat now would be off as it’s tapered. We already have Harrison’s head size so not sure what one would gain from these measurements.

They do not have the Original Block. The new hat maker stated on facebook they use what they consider a close match but it is not the original hat block. People are paying over half a grand for a replica.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

adVintage wrote:
BrandonA18 wrote:...

Very best,
Brandon
:cry: Would take one or two minutes for you or another employee of prop store and would absolutely be awesome for the fan community... sorry, but I can't understand why you as a "massive Indiana Jones fan" want to keep that in the dark for all of us...
Guys, let it go. If I were a potential bidder, I'd be furious if PropStore released detailed information such as specific measurements to the public, especially considering how much it will end up going for. Yup, it sounds more Belloq than Indy, but if you were shelling anywhere from half a million upwards, then yeah, you paid for that right to be stingy. If you feel philanthropic, then so be it, but honestly, I'd hate to see hundreds of thousands of fakes going off that information.

With that in mind, you can certainly appreciate why PropStore wouldn't want to release that information. Ultimately, it's up to the hats future owner to decide what happens.

And for all the naysayers saying it belongs in a museum, let's be perfectly honest. Someone that shells out that much cash most likely will be investing in a state of the art preservation system. Compare that to a life in a museum, where as many on this forum already have pointed out, it would simply be left to rot due to too many artifacts to preserve and too few, overworked conservationists with a tight budget.

Yeah, sure. There's a chance it will end up with a 'Arthur'-type, wearing it on his head while riding a giant train set. But given the alternative, I'm happy with those odds.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

I don’t agree with you Castor Dioscuri but I agree with Advintage and Magnoli. Now, It’s just for the curiosity and the pleasure because we have substantially all the informations of this hat.

Anyway, even if Prop Store would give some measurements, it would be impossible to recreate an identical copy.

We are talking about mm and not cm.

Anyway, I guest that the ribbon is 39.3780146 mm, lol!
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

Right only the super rich deserve what they want. The common folk can only admire it from affar.
I say release the specs on the hat instead of making these things out to be Godly possessions.

Why can’t everyone be equally happy? One guy owns the real thing and the fan base can create the next best thing.
I don’t see any justification of one person in the world getting what they want.

The fact is everyone paid into a piece of this franchise. Like whats said about art once you release it to the world its no longer yours. Which is why many believe it belongs in a museum so everyone can admire it to.
Last edited by D00R on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Suffering? Are you serious? :Dietrich:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Jeremiah wrote:Suffering? Are you serious? :Dietrich:
:rolling: :rolling:

Yeah.. bleeding!
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

I’ve contracted dementia from this debacle. Sometimes I’m under the delusion that I’M Harrison Ford and I want my hat back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Heck, this is 2018... you can identify as Harrison Ford if you want.
FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

Hey guys -

Long time no post! Happy to see so many familiar names again.
The news about the Screenused hat piqued my interest again so I figured i would see if there was debate here, I wasn't disappointed lol. Propstore thanked me for being the first to point out the Teardrop bash issue on Facebook. They were very gracious about it but I did mention that something like that could potentially affect their sale as it looked tampered with. I'm really pleased to see Brandon is a member here and puts all concerns to rest -
Its all cause for celebration now as if Propstore's previous catalogues are anything to go by the feature on the piece will be exceptional and the secrets its given away already - the folded sweatband made me lol as its so obvious yet only recently picked up.

Anyway, I'm so pleased to be afforded the opportunity to see this with my own eyes I'm headed to London for sure. Will post up some pics if everybody is interested just before it disappears into a private collection (possibly forever).

Makes me miss my Fedoraiders hat like #### though :( found this pic on my phone recently that reminds me of the screenused one a treat. Totally regret selling it but who knows Jason? Maybe one day I'll be back in touch :)
Attachments
20171230_093348-002.jpg
20171230_093348-002.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

FordPerfect, it HAS been a long time. I think the last time you posted, I was still living in the UK. ;)
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

FordPerfect wrote:Hey guys -

Long time no post! Happy to see so many familiar names again.
The news about the Screenused hat piqued my interest again so I figured i would see if there was debate here, I wasn't disappointed lol. Propstore thanked me for being the first to point out the Teardrop bash issue on Facebook. They were very gracious about it but I did mention that something like that could potentially affect their sale as it looked tampered with. I'm really pleased to see Brandon is a member here and puts all concerns to rest -
Its all cause for celebration now as if Propstore's previous catalogues are anything to go by the feature on the piece will be exceptional and the secrets its given away already - the folded sweatband made me lol as its so obvious yet only recently picked up.

Anyway, I'm so pleased to be afforded the opportunity to see this with my own eyes I'm headed to London for sure. Will post up some pics if everybody is interested just before it disappears into a private collection (possibly forever).

Makes me miss my Fedoraiders hat like #### though :( found this pic on my phone recently that reminds me of the screenused one a treat. Totally regret selling it but who knows Jason? Maybe one day I'll be back in touch :)
Yes! Please do post pics of THE hat, if possible. :TOH:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

As the hat has been obviously handled and even accidently reshaped - I'd love to see a photo of it on somebody's head! Obviously, preferably Harrison Ford's!! Just long enough to take a few pics :D
BrandonA18
Vendor

Post by BrandonA18 »

Additional photos are now live in the action preview listing here:

https://propstore.com/product/indiana-j ... re-fedora/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brandon
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Those photos though! =P~

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
TimInKC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TimInKC »

Fantastic photos. Good look at the folded sweatband, too.

Anyone feel like buying that hat for me? Should only cost you $255,000-$385,000 or so.

Anybody?

No?

;)
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

Wonderful pics! :clap: :clap: :clap: You can even see the hatsize printed on the inside of the crown!
Can't wait to see the felt color in person.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

Yes, that's great to see. "7 1/4" stamped on the inside of the crown. For me, this shows that it is equivalent to a 59, not a 58 as I had previously thought, because this is a British hat from 1980 and this UK size equates to a US size 7 3/8".
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

I like the all pictures but I love this one because it's the only one without the hollow on the left side of the crown. Look like the end of the shooting and when Desi acquired the hat.