What is Indy's Canonical Raiders Sidearms?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

PaleBlueDot
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

What is Indy's Canonical Raiders Sidearms?

Post by PaleBlueDot »

I've done some reading, and would like help determining what were Indy's guns from a canonical, "in-universe" perspective. As in, between the two revolvers seen used by Indy in Raiders, which is the one he'd actually carry/use? To my knowledge the Stembridge one was only used as a prop during studio work in the U.S. and is never fired, but is chambered in the American .45 acp, while the Bapty revolver is what Indy uses during the film's fight scenes but is chambered in the British .455 Webley/Eley. Which one would he use in-universe, without the discrepancies associated with filming in several countries?

As for the automatics, in the film he is clearly using a Browning Hi-Power (where does he keep it, and why isn't it seen more often are questions for another day), but I read somewhere he was meant to be carrying a 1911, but the reliability of 9mm blanks at the time made the filmmakers use the Hi-Power instead. Furthermore, if it was meant to be a 1911, would that lend credence to the revolver being the .45 acp Stembridge, since it would allow Indy to only worry about carrying 1 type of ammo instead of 2?

Please discuss, help me figure this out :-k
lostinperiphery
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: What is Indy's Canonical Raiders Sidearms?

Post by lostinperiphery »

More food for thought, in later films, he’s switched to the Webley, also chambered in .455. Could that indicate a propensity towards that caliber over 45acp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: What is Indy's Canonical Raiders Sidearms?

Post by The Character »

In Temple he was also supposed to be a Webley its on the props list but never seen .. thus the reason for the long holster.
And in the rough first draft of Raiders it just says indy has a .45 automatic