Show us your US Wings goatskin jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Show us your US Wings goatskin jackets

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Pretty typical fit for the Wings signature series. When I was preparing to buy one, I told them I had 38 inch chest, they recommended a Medium and it was enormous on me.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Pretty typical fit for the Wings signature series. When I was preparing to buy one, I told them I had 38 inch chest, they recommended a Medium and it was enormous on me.
That's exactly like my US Wings goat medium. I'm trying to sell mine. Its huge on me.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Okay, so I know this thread is old, but I thought it deserved resurrection, because US Wings recently released their new Goatskin Indy jackets! :D Anyone purchase one yet? They have two different versions just like the old days, domestic and imported:

- 'Indy style' [looks like Legend pattern?], Italian goatskin, $195.
- Signature series, American goatskin, $579.

https://www.uswings.com/product-categor ... e-jackets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I've never owned a US Wings Indy jacket before, but am interested in this current offering. As for my size:

I am 6' at 137lbs. that needs a 24.5" - 25" sleeve length and no more than a 20" chest size. So, somewhere in between a small and medium. The only thing about the US Wings is their back panel. I've seen some pics in which the panel doesn't come as close to the arm seam as maybe they should. Then again, I've seen some where they almost connect, which is what I like. The pictured goatskin jacket on their site 'seems' to be closer to the arm sleeve seam. If that's true and genuine, I may be interested in taking the plunge for one. Plus, I've read that the US Wings goatskin Indy jackets are a 'really' dark brown, which is also what I like in an Indy jacket, as well.

Any supplemental pictures of the US Wings jackets that y'all can muster, I'd love to see more in order to help make a decision if anyone would like to post up.

Thanks for any and all info! :D
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I almost thought of ordering one of the new goatskin jackets, but once you factor in the international shipping cost to the UK, plus the customs duty I would have to pay it's too expensive to take a risk on a jacket that by the sounds of it would be massively oversized if I ordered a medium.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have been giving away jackets since I moved into a smaller house in the DC area but went ahead and ordered the 195 one in my normal size. I have had 3-different LC inspired jackets in the past (snaps) and did not like the fit of any of them and passed them on. Will report back on this one when I get it unless it is delivered on a weekend and then my wife will kill me....

I have an older Raiders style Wings in goat that is a XL but it fits with the sleeves being a tad short but alright for a regular jacket. A little closer fitting than I like but alright.

If this new one fits well, will ditch the older Wings and a goat Wested that came with missing inside snaps on the pockets...lol
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I was looking to purchase a size medium, but learned that a medium's sleeve length is only about 23.75." With that being said, I'd have to go up to a large in order to get a 24.5" to 25" sleeve length - but, the body would be too big. So, due to their sizing, the US Wings may not be my best bet...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Not sure about that, Capt. We still don't know what pattern they're using for the $195 jacket, so if it's the Legend, the body would NOT be too big.

I'll ping David and see if he can tell me. We KNOW the $500+ version is a Signature series pattern, though, and has the much larger body.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Here's his reply:
Hello M,
This is what I did.. I added one inch to the Body of the Legend and put a WW 11 Pocket flap and a Sq.buckle on the side straps…the Legend body was too small for the general public.. Great look for a person that wears a size 40 Reg. But 50 % of US Wings Customers wear a size large 20 % wear a size Med. Or size 40 Reg.My Friend the bottom of the New Indy look comes to the top of their jean pocket.. Over all look is lean mean look and after a test run 99 % love it. It also has two snaps One top and one bottom the legend does not have snaps. We are the only company in the world making this jacket at this time and the most important thing is we have the inventory at this time.
Thanks for asking and thanks for Posting..
Regards,
Sarge
Regards! M
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks M for the info - on a quick break at work, lol, but the main thing is the sleeve length. I didn't see anything on their site with regards to this aspect (seems to have everything else, but this). Again, I'm on a quick break, so maybe I just missed it...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Drop him an inquiry at sarge@uswings.com and tell him you're a member here. :TOH:

Regard! M
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hey M! Thank you for your reply & info, I 'preciate it ;) . I did contact Sgt. Hack, so I'm excited to see what he says with regards to sleeve length on a medium. I like some snuggness in the body, but wouldn't want to go up in sizes to accommodate sleeve length. Anyhow, thank you for your time once more & I can post the upcoming findings for folks if it helps them too...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

...okay, he wrote back to say that a size medium has a sleeve length of 35." Hmm, back to square one in a sense because how many inches are the shoulder seams for a medium in order to assess how long the sleeves actually are. Ugh...

In other words, he's incorporating both the shoulder & sleeve numbers within that 35." They sure do make ordering a challenge, lol...
Last edited by Captain D on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

A measure of 35” says to me the measurement from the middle of the back of the neck to the cuff. They way a dress shirt sleeve would be measured.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Exactly, which doesn't tell me a whole lot (still need that additional measurement in order to decode the sleeve length). I'll try to get on the horn & see if I can find out more. If nothing else, I can just order one & hang onto the receipt if it doesn't fit...but, from what I've read the medium jackets still run huge. I've got a feeling that the cut off a US Wings jacket may not be ideal for my build.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Received mine today and it is a perfect fit. Did not even have to adjust the back straps at all. I normally wear a 2XL in most jackets and that is what I ordered. Sleeves fall in the right location for an Indy jacket. Length is perfect for me and fits in front about an inch or so below my belt wearing jeans and in the back comes right to the top of my pockets. Nice dark brown leather. No flying squirrel at all. Pattern is a little larger overall than the legend but nowhere near as baggy as the signature. Sleeves are 27 inches and the back from base of collar is 27 inches.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks man for your experience. Any pics, lol? The rep stated that these are a little more trim fitting than their other offerings. I'll have to spend some time reading through older posts to learn more about all of their different variations, such as Legend, Signature Series, etc. as I have absolutdly no idea which is which.

I've never even held a US Wings jacket before, so I hope that I like it. I've been itching to get an Indy Jacket for quite some time. I sold off all of gear for other expenses, but it just didn't feel right not having a jacket, ;) .
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

US Wings sizing on flight and Indy jackets has been all over the place for me over the years. Bought an expensive Roo Indy jacket in 2XL that was too small for me even though I tried to make it work. This was even after calling to get the measurements which they gave me from a size chart for the jacket as it was stored at their warehouse. Measurements did not match the jacket I received. On a Legend SL jacket made by Schott, I ordered the tall 2XL as the ad for the jacket recommended ordering a tall or size up as it was a slim fit if you were over a certain height. It was way too long and had to exchange it for a regular. My normal size is a 2XL but have had Wings jackets in tall, regular, XL, 2XL and even 3XL.
The ones in 3XL were for the Legend pattern when they were out of stock on the 2XL Tall. Those fit like a 2XL from standard jackets.

When you get a good fit on one of their jackets, they are excellent.

Not bashing at all as I like their products. Have had issues with Wested as well but in quality control and not fit.

Getting back to the jacket in question, fit exactly like a normal 2XL out of the box.
Last edited by Glenville86 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I've only experienced the sizing issue with the Signature Series. I just don't need all that extra room they factor into the body, but others seem to like it.

The Legend pattern, on the other hand, has always been 'spot on' in a large.

I just can't get a handle on if this Italian goatskin jacket is just a modified Legend pattern, or something completely different/new for this particular run.

The way David tells it, it sounds like a new pattern to me. :-k

Regards! M
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Yeah - it fits very similar to the legend pattern with a little more room. If I had to compare it to another maker, it would be very similar to an OTR Wested.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hmm, good info once again there gents, ;) . The one I ordered should be here soon - I'm excited to handle a US Wings jacket as I've never owned one. If it doesn't fit, they noted that they'll be getting more (and different sizes) in stock within a few weeks...
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Nothing major, but just some brief feedback experience on the US Wings. In short, absolutely phenomenal goatskin hide, stitching, color, quality, etc. One of the absolute best jackets that I have ever owned hands-down. The only drawback that I had found was that the armhole design just didn't jive with my fitting. For instance, when I raised my arms horizontally or straight out, the whole jacket raised up high and gave a webbed appearance considerably underneath of the armpit areas. When my arms were straight down, the jacket seemed to have good length. But, horizontal or in a driving position, the sleeves rode up much shorter than desired. For me, not a comfortable fit and a jacket that almost needed gussets. But, for a goatskin OTR / non-custom fitted Indy jacket - not bad by any means and still worth the money to which I would recommend to anyone. With that being said, back to the drawing board in which I may aim for a Magnoli for both a custom fit and Raiders' drape. ;)
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Captain D wrote:Nothing major, but just some brief feedback experience on the US Wings. In short, absolutely phenomenal goatskin hide, stitching, color, quality, etc. One of the absolute best jackets that I have ever owned hands-down. The only drawback that I had found was that the armhole design just didn't jive with my fitting. For instance, when I raised my arms horizontally or straight out, the whole jacket raised up high and gave a webbed appearance considerably underneath of the armpit areas. When my arms were straight down, the jacket seemed to have good length. But, horizontal or in a driving position, the sleeves rode up much shorter than desired. For me, not a comfortable fit and a jacket that almost needed gussets. But, for a goatskin OTR / non-custom fitted Indy jacket - not bad by any means and still worth the money to which I would recommend to anyone. With that being said, back to the drawing board in which I may aim for a Magnoli for both a custom fit and Raiders' drape. ;)
Sorry to hear that. I get the flying squirrel on the Wested LC jackets but did not have it on this one from USW. A 2XL on me is needed more for the length in leather jackets as I am 6 feet, 4 inches tall. Not skinny but no overweight. Chest measures more for a XL and some leather ones fit in that size if the lengths are long enough. Usually go the 2XL route as I know lengths will be correct and I like a looser fit.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Great to hear the views on the new offerings, but a picture speaks a thousand words as the saying goes, for those of us still interested.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

:WLWOP:
:D
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Would love to share pics, but jacket was already sent back for refund ;)
bruce1977
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bruce1977 »

I ordered the imported goatskin from US Wings and it was supposed to be delivered by FedEx sometime today. I had to leave the house for 30 minutes and of course that's when FedEx came by. The package requires a signature, so now I have to hope for Monday.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Imagine if Monday was a holiday.
bruce1977
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bruce1977 »

The jacket arrived. This is the imported goatskin from US Wings. It was $195, but with shipping was $214.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m8UwUWgJG3pmyvhp9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oWHTY8os7C8V1aKM7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vF6nh8S9WRtzrsPt9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/izzVNyphejefeLSBA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

bruce1977 wrote:The jacket arrived. This is the imported goatskin from US Wings. It was $195, but with shipping was $214.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m8UwUWgJG3pmyvhp9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oWHTY8os7C8V1aKM7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vF6nh8S9WRtzrsPt9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/izzVNyphejefeLSBA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks pretty good. Hows fit ?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Captain D wrote:...okay, he wrote back to say that a size medium has a sleeve length of 35." Hmm, back to square one in a sense because how many inches are the shoulder seams for a medium in order to assess how long the sleeves actually are. Ugh...

In other words, he's incorporating both the shoulder & sleeve numbers within that 35." They sure do make ordering a challenge, lol...

Given your weight and height, it may well be hard for you to find a jacket that fits unless you go custom. Not everyone can buy a jacket off the peg. I am Six two and 180 pounds which is pretty trim. I generally fit a 40 or a trim 42 and often there is a lot of spare leather around my middle - and I am 43 pounds heavier than you.

The tricky part of fitting an Indy jacket is that the shoulders are oversized (as per the movie version) the shoulder seam falls off the shoulder onto the upper arm as per most 1980's jackets. So while I need a jacket with a 26 inch sleeve length, with most Indy jackets, I can wear 25 or even 24.5 because that darn shoulder acts as extra sleeve length.

On a well fitting period jacket from the 1930's the shoulders would be much narrower and every inch of sleeve length would count. For instance, my Gibson and Barnes Indy size 42 shoulder width is 21 inches. My 1930's half-belt size 42 is 18.5 shoulder width.

The only US Wings jacket I would consider is a Legend pattern and I would probably consider a medium long. Unfortunately I can't try them on first and postage to my place and back to the US is huge.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Absolutely, I pretty much gave up on 'off the rack' Indy jackets, lol. I did order a custom-made jacket recently from Magnoli (with gussets a must). It'll be in, which sounds like, by the end of the summer. But, you're right - the design of the jacket up around the shoulders can be a bear to work with. Don't get me wrong, I was honestly trying to convince myself & find every excuse I could to keep that Goatskin USWings jacket. But, I knew that it wasn't meant to be in the long run... :TOH:
bruce1977
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bruce1977 »

HDRnR wrote:
bruce1977 wrote:The jacket arrived. This is the imported goatskin from US Wings. It was $195, but with shipping was $214.

Looks pretty good. Hows fit ?
The fit is pretty good. The collar is a bit weird but I don't know how it compares to other Indy jackets. I emailed Sarge to double check I'd be a large. I told him I'm 5'11 and weigh about 180lbs, and I'd usually wear a 40R jacket. He said the large is the correct size.

Here are some pics of me wearing the jacket.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x6T5EVWqHufDwsv97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kqvdw2pS2k3k2itF9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GFRWGgrBi5TitKJWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aYKeEtRTWaQ2uwA6A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I have to think about how I'm going to age it.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Great pics, thanks! Your jacket looks really good, you're making me want one... :#:
The size of the collar is giving me Last Crusade vibes. Also not sure how I feel about the storm flap snap placement on what seems to be a Raiders pattern collar though.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Looks good Bruce, hows the weight of the leather? Looks sturdy.
bruce1977
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bruce1977 »

HDRnR wrote:Looks good Bruce, hows the weight of the leather? Looks sturdy.
It's a pretty lightweight jacket. I live in Florida and I can imagine wearing this in any hoodie/light jacket weather. I've been wearing it around my house with inside temps in the low 70s.

It's actually strange to me, a little, to have such a light leather jacket. I've only owned leather motorcycle jackets that were thick enough to almost stand up by themselves. This is my first "fashion weight" jacket, as a motorcyclist night call it.

On a different note, who has experience distressing these things? I've been trying off and on for a few days. I started with alcohol and progressed to acetone. I've removed the shiny coating and oils; now the jacket creaks when I move around. And based on the cloths I'm using, I've removed a lot of dye, but the color still looks exactly the same. I'm guessing that's just a sign it's good quality. :-)

Here's a picture to give an idea of the weight.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yt2cExBUf77FFvgv5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bruce1977 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Goat skin is really tough to distress. It can be done eventually I'm told, but takes a LOT of patience.

I've seen 20 year old hard used goatskin jackets that look like they were just purchased.

It's such a tight pored hide, it's hard to get it to 'crack' the surface.

Regards! M
bruce1977
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bruce1977 »

So, I have my US Wings imported goatskin and I've been trying to distress it. First I used alcohol and then acetone to remove the shine and some dye. It did remove some shine but I couldn't seem to make a dent in the coloring. In the pictures below I can make a better comparison and I'd say it's a little lighter.

Michaelson commented and noted that goatskin is hard to distress. After doing online research I decided to take a risk and throw the jacket in the washer and dryer. Lots of people online swear by this. Well, I used the gentle cycle for each, and the jacket does look more worn. But it also shrank more than I expected. It has a little of that too-small look now (primarily because of the action pleats).

Here are some pictures showing before and after. I intentionally wore the exact same clothes for each so you can compare fairly. Each link has a collage with the brand new out of the box picture on the left and the after lots of work picture on the right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z9tuzWNfXgqw2Z5y7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9y6BPaRo48NW8EnL8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X1E7KhgMTAq4oJWU9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vBnQ8d3iaz3V8S2V8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Here's where you can really see the difference in the action pleats down by the straps).
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Bruce, I think it looks pretty darn good, just wear the hec out of it now.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

...good luck if you ever have to return yours. Mine has been one month and counting for a refund. Between not being overly impressed with the fitting and the long refund process, my first initial impression of US Wings has been rather mixed, I'm sorry to report back. :?
cevcevtv
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by cevcevtv »

Captain D wrote:...good luck if you ever have to return yours. Mine has been one month and counting for a refund. Between not being overly impressed with the fitting and the long refund process, my first initial impression of US Wings has been rather mixed, I'm sorry to report back. :?
I’m on 18 days waiting for a refund , too....... and I have a second order going back for a refund.

Sigh
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Curious. I can’t help but notice with certain manufacturers, jackets are often returned for a variety of reasons. Mainly fit. Now sometimes the shipping fees are not covered by said manufacturer. So my question is why not pay just a little more and go custom from say Steele and Jones or similar?

Again, just thinking out loud. What’s your reason?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jeremiah,

My guess is the same reason lots of people won't. They hesitate to roll the dice on that perfect custom fit since they're generally unreturnable.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Yeah that’s true. Forgot about that aspect.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

As mentioned in an above post, I went with custom (Magnoli) because the OTR jackets (Wested, US Wings, etc.), are all huge in the body for me when trying to accommodate the extra sleeve length. Plus, when I raise my arms up, the whole jacket itself also raises up. I need it thinner in the body, somewhat longer sleeves, & gussets would be ideal. Hence, the need to customize is my reason.
cevcevtv
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by cevcevtv »

Captain D wrote:...good luck if you ever have to return yours. Mine has been one month and counting for a refund. Between not being overly impressed with the fitting and the long refund process, my first initial impression of US Wings has been rather mixed, I'm sorry to report back. :?

Have you heard anything more on your return?
I was told they’d look into the status.... then nothing since.
Not cool.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hi,

I did finally receive a refund (a month and a half later). However, they were supposed to send an email indicating a refund but I learned of it only by checking my bank statement. Granted, I realize that it may simply be a busy time of the year for them, such as for military contracts, etc. But, I too had to stay on them. Apparently, they noted that there was some kind of hold on the return. Unsure why as everything was done accordingly. I feel that it was an 'excuse' to help explain the delay for whatever reason.

With US Wings being a reputable company, I'm sure that you'll get your refund. But, as a friendly piece of advice to them, I feel that they should indicate on their return policy that refunds could potentially take up to this long so as not to leave folks hanging and expecting a refund in as little as two weeks. To me, it simply would make sense for both parties involved.
cevcevtv
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by cevcevtv »

Captain D wrote:Hi,

I did finally receive a refund (a month and a half later). However, they were supposed to send an email indicating a refund but I learned of it only by checking my bank statement. Granted, I realize that it may simply be a busy time of the year for them, such as for military contracts, etc. But, I too had to stay on them. Apparently, they noted that there was some kind of hold on the return. Unsure why as everything was done accordingly. I feel that it was an 'excuse' to help explain the delay for whatever reason.

With US Wings being a reputable company, I'm sure that you'll get your refund. But, as a friendly piece of advice to them, I feel that they should indicate on their return policy that refunds could potentially take up to this long so as not to leave folks hanging and expecting a refund in as little as two weeks. To me, it simply would make sense for both parties involved.

Thanks for the update! I’ll give them a little longer before I press the issue with PayPal.
It’s too bad, the jackets were nice - just couldn’t get the right sizing/fit.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Likewise, I too 'really' liked the leather & overall construction. But, the fitment just wasn't there. I don't blame you in that I too was getting irked with the amount of time to receive the refund (month and a half, ugh). But, it worked out & all is good. I gave US Wings a shot & moved on. Best o' luck in your jacket quest, as well! :TOH: