Jacket too short?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Jacket too short?

Post by Parttimeteacher »

I know that the jackets are supposed to fall around the waist but I'm not sure if this is too short. It's a US Wings jacket and it's nice but I feel less like an adventurer and more like Chris Farley in Tommy Boy "Fat guy in a little coat."
How should it fit?
Attachments
2018-05-17 23.36.41.jpg
2018-05-17 23.33.35.jpg
2018-05-17 23.10.29.jpg
2018-05-17 23.31.03.jpg
2018-05-17 23.35.19.jpg
2018-05-17 23.35.19.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Jacket too short?

Post by Stefan Hills »

Yes its too short. Everyone has a different length of torso, but in general the back length of the jacket is about 2 inches longer than the front. Example Ford's jacket's in Last Crusade measured 22.5 in chest, 23.5 in the front and 25.5 in the back, as result the jacket fell below his belt line.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Like Stefan said, it's short.

If you can post your height, and the back and front measurements of the jacket, I can give you a full answer.-
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It's not your imagination. Legend pattern, right? I have the same problem. Most Indy jackets with an "accurate" length don't work well on me because I have low waistline AND I'm overweight. The Signature Series US Wings jackets are longer, and worked perfectly for me, but the only one still available is priced so high, going custom would be better.
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for the input. I'm 6'4" with a long torso. I measured the jacket but I'm not sure where they measure things from. These pics have the measuring tape starting at the bottom of the jacket. It's a 3xl.

http://imgur.com/a/RXe5Op2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Parttimeteacher wrote:Thanks for the input. I'm 6'4" with a long torso. I measured the jacket but I'm not sure where they measure things from. These pics have the measuring tape starting at the bottom of the jacket. It's a 3xl.

http://imgur.com/a/RXe5Op2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeap. That's it.

The 27" back is ok.
But the 23" front it's wrong. It should be at 25.5"/26".

Also, it's important to check you chest circumference.
And the armpit-to-armpit on the jacket, to be safe.

Kind regards.-
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

For contrast. Here is my wested Temple of doom jacket. It is a bit small as well bc I was a bit lighter back when I got it.

http://imgur.com/a/l6eldCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The US Wings one will probably make an appearance in the Bazaar soon.
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

Don't feel bad.

This hobby has a "trial and error" factor given that most of us aren't tailors and specific measurements can evade us without guidance.

Thankfully we have vendors with sage expertise like Diego and others. It is all part of the adventure. But when we get an article of clothing/gear right - MAN, does it feel good!

The bag, shirt, pants, and belt look great. I can't see your hat very well so I am silent on that. Keep at it. You are almost there brother!
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

AttyOzzy wrote:Don't feel bad.

This hobby has a "trial and error" factor given that most of us aren't tailors and specific measurements can evade us without guidance.

Thankfully we have vendors with sage expertise like Diego and others. It is all part of the adventure. But when we get an article of clothing/gear right - MAN, does it feel good!

The bag, shirt, pants, and belt look great. I can't see your hat very well so I am silent on that. Keep at it. You are almost there brother!
Well said :clap:
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for your help. I'm going to sell that one and go with a custom jacket. My wested was a custom that fit well about 16 years ago. Anno Domini and calories catch up with us all.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

AttyOzzy wrote:Don't feel bad.

:clap: :clap: :TOH: :TOH:
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Diego, I would like to pick your brain when I get some more funds together.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Parttimeteacher wrote: I'm going to sell that one and go with a custom jacket. My wested was a custom that fit well about 16 years ago. Anno Domini and calories catch up with us all.
You don't look that old. Might be worth seeing if you can hit the gym and change the lifestyle a bit rather than fix things with new clothes. After all, Indy's an active guy. ;)
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

xmasters wrote:
Parttimeteacher wrote: I'm going to sell that one and go with a custom jacket. My wested was a custom that fit well about 16 years ago. Anno Domini and calories catch up with us all.
You don't look that old. Might be worth seeing if you can hit the gym and change the lifestyle a bit rather than fix things with new clothes. After all, Indy's an active guy. ;)

Use this jacket as motivation to lose weight. It might look great if you do. I had the same problem with a Wested LC/CS. It started to look good when I dropped 15 lbs and went back to looking too short when I gained it back.

Since I felt mine was too short, I stared at some pics of Harrison Ford in the LC jacket for quite some time, finally coming to see that my jacket's proportions in the body were just about the same. I probably just needed to drop 40 lbs.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Stefan Hills wrote:Yes its too short. Everyone has a different length of torso, but in general the back length of the jacket is about 2 inches longer than the front. Example Ford's jacket's in Last Crusade measured 22.5 in chest, 23.5 in the front and 25.5 in the back, as result the jacket fell below his belt line.
Correct, although my reading tells me the screen Raiders was the same length front and back. :shock: A very strange, poorly cut pattern made in a hurry?

Stefan, given the size of the LC (that you actually measured) - can we really say it is a bigger pattern than the Raiders? The chest is the same. The back length is longer but does it look so on screen given the odd Raiders sliding fit?